VSONIC Focus 007 - The world's first planar-magnetic IEM - Info & expectations thread
Oct 28, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #61 of 86
Well, who know? Great idea doesn't always mean great product and we have our fair share of vapourware over the years - SA7, x-JAYS, etc...

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #62 of 86
Quote:
Well, one thing is for sure, this model was announced by VSONIC's CEO! I quoted his original announcement in chinese in the GR07 thread when he did it. I must look for that quote and post it here. Not sure what's happening on FB, or if the project was cancelled, or if they're just trying to put it back under the blanket...

But you're right, it's possible that the Focus 007 and OXOO were supposed to be the same thing. The OXOO was mentioned first by VSONIC's CEO, about it's target market, price and availability. After that, he never refered to OXOO again, and revelead details about the Focus 007. It makes some sense if they're the same model! We definitely need to "buy" an Head-Fi endorsed spy inside VSONIC... 
biggrin.gif

I suggest tomscy2000. He's sacrificable. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #63 of 86
Well, one thing is for sure, this model was announced by VSONIC's CEO! I quoted his original announcement in chinese in the GR07 thread when he did it. I must look for that quote and post it here. Not sure what's happening on FB, or if the project was cancelled, or if they're just trying to put it back under the blanket...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552132/vsonic-gr07-impressions-appreciation-thread/3165#post_8399597

It all starts here...... ^^

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #64 of 86
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552132/vsonic-gr07-impressions-appreciation-thread/3165#post_8399597
It all starts here...... ^^

Many many thanks, mate! 
beerchug.gif

I was about to start looking for that, and you already did it! I actually remebered you when I said I'd look for it, as you seem to have a map for the original GR07 thread... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #65 of 86
Quote:
Well, who know? Great idea doesn't always mean great product and we have our fair share of vapourware over the years - SA7, x-JAYS, etc...

Yes, it was a bold plan, for something completely new in the IEM realm! Maybe the technology involved just isn't feasible for an IEM...

But then again, is anyone sure if that VSONIC FB profile really belongs to the real Vsonic Electronic Company in China? I've seen my share of fake FB brand profiles, even for well known brands! 

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #66 of 86
this sounds very interesting, as i just melted all over the floor, at the sight that we may get mini planars.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #67 of 86
Not that I'm any kind of expert, but this seems feasible to me.
We've already had planar 'phones that come close to being IEMs for years.
Both the Stax SR-001 and the Yamaha yh5m have fairly small planar drivers.
Maybe modern manuf' techniques and materials could allow something small enough to go 'in ear'.
Personally I'd even be happy with something (ortho) that required the use of a headband, as long as the canal portion of the device could be 'customed' for comfort.
I just can't wear circumaural or supra-aural 'phones without my ears catching fire after about 20 minutes, so even something big with an in-canal fitting would be very welcome.

If VSONIC aren't pursuing this type of product I hope someone else is!

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #68 of 86
There seems to be another confirmation about the "Focus 007" planar IEM in a recent VSONIC's CEO annoucement. Not much about a possible ETA and the price will be above 2000 YUAN (~320USD). Here's the translated announcement (thanks to Leoptimistic):

Quote:
Vsonic's GR07 series will undergo a slight modification around January, which deals specifically with the aesthetic flaws of these IEMs and will use a newly designed mould for production. After this is released in the market, you can expect a new flagship dynamic [I'm not familiar with the term "圈铁" in audiophile language, but it could mean hybrid as it is an amalgamation of "动圈 (dynamic)+动铁(BA)] that is currently in development. The most technologically superior (in the domestic market) dual driver IEM [Translator: prossibly referring to the V7007, which is due for release in February, seeing that it will be released after January when the new GR07s enter the market], as well as planar IEM will be subsequently revealed after the dynamic IEMs have been released. These new IEMs will be priced at more than 2000 Chinese Yuan/Renminbi.

Original announcement:
VSONIC声学旗下GR07系列将会在1个月左右迎来一次小改款,主要针对外观细节做工不完美等进行修改,重新开设一套模具。另外此款圈铁上市后,后期还有1款旗舰圈铁正在研发当中。作为国产技术巅峰的 同轴双单元耳塞,平板单元小耳塞 将在圈铁发布后陆续进行发布,涉及到2款技术的耳塞,售价均会超过2000元

It seems it's really on! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #69 of 86
how will this work as a truly portable device presuming mobile phones will not be able to provide it enough power.

intraaural earphones and earbuds are all about portability right?

also i never understand how people listen to music on-the-go from a mobile phone/player with portable amplifiers, too many bulky items isn't it?

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #70 of 86
Quote:
how will this work as a truly portable device presuming mobile phones will not be able to provide it enough power.

intraaural earphones and earbuds are all about portability right?

also i never understand how people listen to music on-the-go from a mobile phone/player with portable amplifiers, too many bulky items isn't it?

Headphones are usually not as hard to drive as people seem to think they are. My 4AAA (250 ohms, 90 dB/mW sensitivity) are perfectly usable out of an iPhone, for example. It improves with amping, quite significantly, but its still perfectly usable out of less powerful equipment. The only time where a headphone would not be usable is in case of an extremely insensitive design, such as the HE-6, which simply cannot get loud enough out of most equipment.

Planars are harder to drive than dynamics by design, but that doesn't automatically mean that every planar is hard to drive. The YH-5M was somewhere around 113 dB/mW sensitivity and 20 ohms, which is incredibly easy to power. And, keep in mind that the driver on it was still around 20mm in diameter, and smaller would be even more efficient. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:
I had hoped we'd know more about the planar IEM by now.
Anyone have some 'insider' knowledge?
Failing that, I'd settle for some wildly inaccurate fabrication.

I know for a fact that Vsonic will be selling the first 7007 units for $100, in order to celebrate their accomplishment.

tumblr_inline_ml9vinDRen1r79k32.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #74 of 86
Will these ever come out or what? I am surprised there are still no planar IEMs released today in the world of 8 driver balanced armature IEMs. Are single driver planar IEMs harder to design than 8 driver BA monsters?

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #75 of 86
Are these going to be the heaviest IEMs in history? I want to see how they manage to do magnets that small.... 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back