VPI Scout or??
Feb 4, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #31 of 37
Ken, I'll be looking forward for your impressions. And congrats!
600smile.gif

Feb 5, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #32 of 37
Welcome to team VPI ! Make sure it is very level, talc that belt, and enjoy!
cool.gif

Feb 5, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #34 of 37
Grado's seem to have some synergy with the Scout, based on what I read/heard while searching out mine. The Scoutmaster is a step up from the Scout, so how about on of the higher end Grado cartridges, like the Reference or Master? I think the wood cartridge looks cool in that table, an added bonus. Yo could also check out other offerings at www.acousticsounds.com They carry several different lines. If you go Grado, don't forget about our own sponsor, Todd THE Vinyl Junkie - Todd Green.

Feb 5, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #35 of 37
well i've been lustin' over a shelter 901, but there appears to be some question whether it would be a good match for the jmw-9 arm...

the grado statement reference (great midrange) has been the leadin' contender for some time & really that's the route i 'should' go, but i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on the matter...

if i end up w/grado, i'd definitely be buyin' from todd (where do you think i ordered the tt
tongue.gif
)...

thanks...

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Welcome to team VPI ! Make sure it is very level, talc that belt, and enjoy!
cool.gif

Sorry to thread crap, but where do you find non-perfumed talc??? I've looked everywhere!

The scout is a great table and I don't think you'll be disappointed. A decent time to buy one too because the hype has kind of died down and you won't have to pay top dollar for it these days. I have one and really like it.

Currently, I have a shelter 501 on there. It's a great sounding cartridge and all of the reviews were right on about this cartridge. Sooooo smoooooth! I also recently picked up a SDS speed controller for it. I was skeptic at first, but it definitely made a difference that could easily be heard.

I had a Clearaudio Virtuoso wood on there before my 1 year old boy learned how to climb on a chair- it only takes a second for a cartridge to become worthless.
mad.gif
I know what people have posted on the audio forums about this combination, but it is a very good combination and can be further improved with the right phono stage. I had it with an Acoustech PH-1 plus that I really thought was a great combination. I also liked it with the Lehman Black cube. Not quite as good, but still decent were when I used the EAR 834P, phono stage in an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, and the Sutherland PHD. I've owned all of those phono stages, so I did pretty extensive testing- not just a one night demo.

If you take the time to follow the instructions and mount the cartridge properly, I think you'll be very happy with the scout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back