VPI Scout or??
Feb 3, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 37
tubed roller(fred) shows me a very good LP12 with a Lyra cartridge and the very likely same lyra on the Scout and the Scout turntable is very much better than the LP12. The LP12 has many expensive upgrading of parts and a Sumiko arm and it is not as good sounding as the VPI. Tube makes me buy the VPI HRX and it sounds not too many much better that of the Scout. The Scout makes a very great table and Fred plays many expensive cartrudges with it to make great sounding. The LP12 is greater looking and has beauty wood and is pretty to look to.

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Pielet
Ken, you should check out the LP12, (Don't listen to tubey, He KNOWS it rocks). In Chicago is a Linn dealer who can set it up properly. Once you read the reviews everywhere, you will see why it is a great player. I am not one who looks for ease of play or set up, I like tweaking my equipment so it sounds the best. once the Linn is set up, it is hard to beat. I am not sure what else is in the same league, with ease of upgrading.

Your recommending a Linn LP12 over a VPI scout?

What the HELL is wrong with you?

Feb 3, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 37
What is wrong with me? I LIKE THE LP12 BETTER. Did I stutter? I am sure you are aware the differences lie in the cartridge, tonearm, motor, isolation, etc. Should I change my mind for you Tim??

Feb 3, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #19 of 37
Well of course...

What arm and cart are you using on LP12 anyways? I don't really have much experience with linn arms having owned a basik just briefly when i had my CJ walker table. I just don't think i could ever bring myself to getting one of those highly upgraded LP12's. If i really wanted that classic sort of design I'd just go straight for the gold(mund).

Feb 3, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #20 of 37
Gee I didn't mean to start WWIII here!

How easy/hard is it to install & setup cartridge on a Scout? Holm Audio has a Demo Scout, but no new one. Todd has new ones (same price as Holm, + shipping but no tax), but then I'd have to pay Holm or someone else to mount the cartridge. Holm will do it free if I buy the table from them.

Next question, which IC's? VPI sells IC's with the same wire as the JMW arm for $200/meter pr. I'd need (2) pair with this setup. Is it best to stay with VPI or perhaps try Silver Dragon, or VPI to the phono stage and Silver Dragon from phono stage to amp?

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 37
go for the vpi's...as you said, it's the same wire they use for the jmw, and they're shielded. i use them and they're great.

another vote for the scout. unbelievable table out of the box, even better after 50 hours, amazing after 100.

Feb 3, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
How easy/hard is it to install & setup cartridge on a Scout?

Cartridge installation was fairly simple, and VPI provided good instructions and tools. That said, I've had experience with unipivot arms previously, so I had some idea what I was getting into. It's a trickier installation than a conventional tonearm with two bearing points, but not by much. A very nice feature is the ability to remove the entire arm wand to work on it. This also lets you buy additional wands, and keep cartridges mounted on them, if you're into that sort of thing. If you don't have experience mounting cartridges, it might be worth having the dealer do it (particularly if he's known to be good at it).

Feb 3, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 37
What can i say. I'm a college student. I DARE you to find something better for under 750$. I do plan to eventually upgrade my turntable and get stax later on. After borrowing the 4040, i've realized that stax and vinyl are definetly the direction I want to go in.

Feb 3, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 37
Andrew,

Can one get an LP12 with one of the arms you mention, to better a Scout, for under $1500? Has to work with my Dynavector DV20XH or we can only increase the total spent by what I can get for the cart.

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 37
Just ordered the VPI from Todd THE vinyl junkie! I'll be sending him my cartridge to mount today, so hopefully I'll have the table next week. Right now I'm without vinyl. My HW19MK3 sold in less than 12 hours on Audiogon, with eleven offers to buy it by the end of the day, so I'm pleased about that. I priced it a little bit low to move it quick, didn't want it sitting it a box waiting for the last $1.99. Now I've got to get cables before the new deck arrives.

Feb 4, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #28 of 37
I am selling a Bluenote Piccolo with a U3 unipivot tone arm for a grand, on Todd's used gear site, that rivals the Scout. It is 2 months old, and I am selling it to get the more expensive BellaVista, if anyone is interested.

Feb 4, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #29 of 37
Ken, once my TT rig is complete we'll do a showdown. I don't know what rack you are using but I suggest a wall mount. Mana stands are awesome if you can do it.
Tim, obviously you are a college student, or you wouldn't have that attitude.

Feb 4, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #30 of 37
tk_suki:

If I can buy that setup for what I paid for the Scout, I may in fact have buyers remorse already.
eek.gif
eek.gif

Andrew:

I haven't thought to much about racks yet. I'll work on that more this summer after my home office is complete, and a wall mount is a possibility. For now it's all going to reside in a spacious 8'x8' listening room in my basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back