VPI Scout or??
Feb 1, 2004 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
I've got my heart set on a Scout with JMW-9 arm. Will be using my existing Dynavector DV20XH cartridge with EAR 834P phono stage. Any last suggestions before I pull the trigger?

Feb 1, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 37
Unless you can get a super deal on something used from someone you trust a lot.

The Scout owns its price range, and many reviewers say its parts synergize so well it competes with multi-thousand dollar tt.

Feb 2, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 37
I've been thrilled by my own Scout, and highly recommend it. A fantastic performer. Also note that VPI has a very nice upgrade path for the Scout, if you choose to pursue it.

Feb 2, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 37
If you go to the VPI site, they have a list of options that are available. Basically, you can take it as far up the Aries line as you're willing to go, and have the money to do.

Feb 2, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 37
Ken, you should check out the LP12, (Don't listen to tubey, He KNOWS it rocks). In Chicago is a Linn dealer who can set it up properly. Once you read the reviews everywhere, you will see why it is a great player. I am not one who looks for ease of play or set up, I like tweaking my equipment so it sounds the best. once the Linn is set up, it is hard to beat. I am not sure what else is in the same league, with ease of upgrading.

Feb 2, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 37
I know the LP12 can rock, some just love this table over everything else. I'm not much for tweaking, I want to set it up and forget it. I have wondered though, just exactly what is the whole set up issue with these anyway? Holm Audio has a used one for just over $1K with a Rega 600 arm. Are you saying an LP12 will better the Scout?

Feb 2, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 37
in my opinion, yes. The issue is you need to set it up correctly. Then you can forget it. VPI is like a plug and play. Ken, I know you like tweaking. How can you say you don't when I see tubes going in and out of your hands??!! The extent of tweaking is just setting it up correctly. Also, with horns and a SET, the Linn will bring you nirvana. I suggest you get your speakers and amp, and have Chris barry or my buddy Marty bring a deck over for you to check out. LP12 plays music in such a way that I melt when I listen. VPI is a very solid performer, but it doesn't have that deep inner musicality that Linn brings to the table. Set up isnt that hard, you just need a tech to make sure the springs and everything are measured and calibrated well. Of course if your TT shelf falls you will need it setup again, biut that would be the least of your issues. When you buy a used Linn, (not from a dealer who can build or setup tables) you will need it checked anyway to make sure things are in place. Living in Chicago is great for that, with a guy named Chris Barry living within the city, one of the best LP12 technicians in the states.

Feb 3, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 37
Gee thanks Andrew, I thought this was going to be easy
frown.gif
Caught me red handed too - yes I have had many tubes and a fair amount of gear pass through. I guess what I mean is I don't really want to be constantly fiddling with the hardware anymore, or trading tubes. That's why I ordered meshplate 2A3's right off the bat. Get the best, forget the rest. I'll do a little more digging before pulling the trigger. What do new LP12's go for versus used? What arm would be best to get so I'm not; a) wanting to upgrade in six months, b) not playing my drums on State St. trying to get money for food?

Feb 3, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 37
The LP12 is a great table, but be prepared for a life of tweaking the suspension. You really need a good Linn dealer close by to get the most out of the table. Set up is non-trivial.

Feb 3, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 37
Ken, just pick up a Scout and let me know what I'm missing.

I'll more than likely pick up one toward the end of the year when I move. I had a VPI HW19 Jr and enjoyed it. But I didn't really commit myself to vinyl at the time.

Feb 3, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 37
I probably will do the "plug & play" Scout. I'm getting to old for tweaking. I do like the classic looks of the Linn though. I'll probably wait a week or two so I can give the HW19 a chance to find a new home.

Feb 3, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 37
I love my VPI Aries Scout, especially with its soul-mate, the JMW-9 arm (I was using my dad's old Rega 600 for awhile, which was very good too). I have tried several cartridges too, and my favorite one was the Dynavector 20XL. I'm still searching for an affordable, great-sounding tube phono stage, but the Emmeline XR-2 is pretty damn good for now. This rig really opened my eyes to the unrivaled sound of good analog; it is still my favorite rig and I've only heard a few (far more costly) systems that sound better). It's all about the synergy of the components of one's analog rig (and don't forget that table->phono stage cable upgrade).
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back