Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Mar 9, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,366 of 5,717
The impressions i sent VE for my elysiums is with the bite block. I’m curious what’s the difference if without. I don’t really have any fit issues with my elysiums though.

Hmmm... that's strange, since VE have always worked with closed-mouth impressions. Regardless, from what I've learned, generally-speaking, it doesn't really matter whether it's open- or closed-mouth. Ear impressions, when they're turned into CIEMs, are trimmed and contoured so much anyway, that it overrides whatever differences there are between mouth positions (as @fiascogarcia described). So, it's more so a matter of what the manufacturers are comfortable working with. VE, with their closed-mouth impressions have one of the lowest return rates in the industry, so it's definitely something they've mastered.

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,367 of 5,717
Hmmm... that's strange, since VE have always worked with closed-mouth impressions. Regardless, from what I've learned, generally-speaking, it doesn't really matter whether it's open- or closed-mouth. Ear impressions, when they're turned into CIEMs, are trimmed and contoured so much anyway, that it overrides whatever differences there are between mouth positions (as @fiascogarcia described). So, it's more so a matter of what the manufacturers are comfortable working with. VE, with their closed-mouth impressions have one of the lowest return rates in the industry, so it's definitely something they've mastered.
Well, the shop i went to (they are an "authorized dealer") didn't really advised me to specifically get a closed-mouth impressions nor confirmed with me when i gave them the open-mouth impressions. So VE didnt know we sent them open-mouth impressions and luckily it doesn't have fit issues. Was just curious if having closed/open makes a difference sound-wise.

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #1,368 of 5,717
Anyone with impressions on the worth of getting a VE8 with or without the "ambience system"? Has anyone A/B'd this feature on any of the models beyond the VE8 to know whether it augments all their iems in more or less the same way--or do some change more significantly with it? Moreover, is there much sonic difference between the different dampeners they include with it--do they perhaps include one that mostly 'seals' the port, such that you can choose a listening context where the "ambience" is beneficial and then close it when it's detrimental (i.e. commuting vs. live use as a monitor)? Is it similar then to the effect and implementation of apex/adel modules? Lots of questions and not a lot of information out there...Vision Ears only mention a possible "tonal change...in the low frequencies", and surprisingly it's only been mentioned in this thread once (and even then as no more than conjecture five years ago about how it might sound.) Figure it's worth getting some opinions on it for others' reference as well. Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,369 of 5,717
Anyone with impressions on the worth of getting a VE8 with or without the "ambience system"? Has anyone A/B'd this feature on any of the models beyond the VE8 to know whether it augments all their iems in more or less the same way--or do some change more significantly with it? Moreover, is there much sonic difference between the different dampeners they include with it--do they perhaps include one that mostly 'seals' the port, such that you can choose a listening context where the "ambience" is beneficial and then close it when it's detrimental (i.e. commuting vs. live use as a monitor)? Is it similar then to the effect and implementation of apex/adel modules? Lots of questions and not a lot of information out there...Vision Ears only mention a possible "tonal change...in the low frequencies", and surprisingly it's only been mentioned in this thread once (and even then as no more than conjecture five years ago about how it might sound.) Figure it's worth getting some opinions on it for others' reference as well. Cheers!
The ambiance system is simply breaking the seal. There is a filter included to fully seal the CIEM so you are not losing anything. Leaving the filter out completely will have the same effect as taking out the apex modules. You basically have zero sub-bass and a very strong roll-off in the bass altogether. Think of the Apple EarPods to have an idea of how it sounds.

The different filters create various degrees of more surrounding noise and less bass. Apex manages to "capture" the bass pressure much better, so even m15 hardly drops in bass pressure. Apex generally creates a different bass presence - less direct and more spacious sounding. I have tried my 64 without apex and sealed them up with clay. The sound then is way more direct and noticeably fatiguing. E.g., like all of my other CIEM.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,370 of 5,717
Well - just pulled the trigger on the Erlkonig to complete my “trifecta” of IEMs. Really wanted one universal to go with both my customs and the Erlkonig fits a slightly different music presentation than what I have.

Looking forward to receiving it hopefully this week. RIP my wallet , time to delete my headfi account :)

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,371 of 5,717
Well - just pulled the trigger on the Erlkonig to complete my “trifecta” of IEMs. Really wanted one universal to go with both my customs and the Erlkonig fits a slightly different music presentation than what I have.

Looking forward to receiving it hopefully this week. RIP my wallet , time to delete my headfi account :)
Crazy guy!
Enjoy :heart_eyes:

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,374 of 5,717

Congrats man that's no small investment...looking forward to your impressions.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,376 of 5,717

wow nice! Will it come with an extra set of faceplates?

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,378 of 5,717
Apr 20, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,379 of 5,717
Definitely questioning my sanity if I’m honest. Ha.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Asylum. For your information, I also bought the rose gold and the black Onyx face plates. Thought I was done then I went ahead and bought two more iems (A8K and Luna). I am hopelessly locked up for life.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,380 of 5,717
Welcome to the Asylum. For your information, I also bought the rose gold and the black Onyx face plates. Thought I was done then I went ahead and bought two more iems (A8K and Luna). I am hopelessly locked up for life.

Have any pictures of the faceplates on the erlkonig? That will be something I visit down the line. I didn’t want to spend the $ right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back