Vinyl or Digital?
Oct 30, 2006 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
A simple question. Only owners of both should apply for accuracy.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 27
I've recently gotten back into vinyl after a 20-year lapse. I've been enjoying it immensely ... so much so that I haven't taken any time to a/b compare it to CDs. Therefore I'm going to pass on voting at this time.

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 27
Uh, there isn't really a question. Do you mean which we like most? Which one sounds better? Which one we listen to most? Which is superior?

I spin records mosty because it opens up an opportunity for good, cheap music. And sometimes I like to buy my favorite albums on good vinyl as another way to experience them. Sometimes the vinyl is better, sometimes not.

I don't actually listen to CDs, I use a computer-as-source.

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 27
I hate the way that most CDs are recorded, but I can't blame the medium for senseless human behavior. IMO, a properly recorded and mastered digital format simply achieves a level of transparency that vinyl can't even touch. If I want vinyl's warmth, I use an equalizer and roll off those highs. CDs, SACDs and DVD-A all the way for me.

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 27
I listen to vinyl over 90% of the time. Bigger, fuller, with better and more textured bass I have not gotten from digital. (yet)

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 27
I'm finally getting more space to actually lug all my vinyl up to NYC - on the lookout for some appropriate ancillary upgrades to the Tower to do right by my soulless 80's technopop remixes as we speak!

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 27
Since it said "CDs, Man", I went with vinyl. I usually prefer SACD to vinyl, but I like vinyl more than redbook.

Like someone mentioned, the mastering of the medium is more important to good sound than the medium itself. However, all things being equal, I prefer the sound of vinyl to CD.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 27
Seven.

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 27
I voted vinyl, but it really depends on the type of music imo. For classic rock, nothing is better than that old vinyl sound.

However for metal and such I prefer digital. I find metal sounds like crap on my vinyl setup. Not to mention most metal vinyl are hard to find or overpriced.

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Big black discs > little shiny discs.

I don't know about you, man, but most of my vinyl is pretty damn shiny too...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back