Vinyl or Digital?
Oct 31, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #16 of 27
Digital for certain. No record will ever have the clarity, transparency, or accuracy of a well-mastered CD.

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #17 of 27
Vinyl sucks me into the music more on an emotional level, but CD's are much easier and for well recorded music it doesn't make much of a difference.

My analog front end is absolutely killer, but I'm expecting to make a major digital upgrade in January or so. At that point, it should be a more level playing field in my main speaker system.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #18 of 27
Like, at Wayne's house? Man, that is a toss-up... but, probably vinyl. At home? Digital, baby.

So, if you are dumping any of those Shanlings, gimme a holla...
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #19 of 27
I was going to guess that people who have both CDs and vinyl would vote for vinyl, but apparently that isn't the case! I'm all digital, since vinyl isn't very practical in my case.

EDIT: Don't worry, I didn't vote.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 27
I voted for vinyl simply because in most cases, it sounds better to me. Its not that I think digital couldn't sound as good or better, its just that digital content always ends up getting mastered so poorly.

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
mmm... nothing is better than telarc SACDs...

QFT.

Though not just Telarc, there are lots of well-recorded SACDs out there. For the record (pun intended), I love vinyl and am working to piece together a turntable setup. But SACD is special. Nothing else has that resolution and clarity.

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #22 of 27
I'm sure happy with all my MFSL and Direct-to-disc Vinyls..

Not so happy with my SACD's...

Maybe it is the recordings, but I still give the edge to the old vinyls.

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #23 of 27
Vinyl SOUNDS better, but CD's are so much more convenient in terms of use and system setup/cost. More new music avaliable on CD's too.

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #24 of 27
Vinyl for me--but it is a hassle for the non-mechanically inclined!

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
I voted for vinyl simply because in most cases, it sounds better to me. Its not that I think digital couldn't sound as good or better, its just that digital content always ends up getting mastered so poorly.

I'm leaning somewhere towards those thoughts. The format is less important than the mastering. My vinyl has a higher percentage of good mastering than my digital (90% redbook). Where I have the same title in different formats they're often different masterings so comparison isn't possible. I don't know if one format is superior to another.

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #27 of 27
A well-recorded SACDs for me. I have to admit that vinyl is more engaiging and sound more wonderful though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back