Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Sep 14, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #62 of 2,710
Hello,

if somebody wanna start with vinyl rig...
And wanna good quality reproduction. Where to start?
For digital I have Bluesound Node 2021 - Denafrips Ares II dac.
Exposure 3010s2D integrated amp and Gallus Audio speakers.

I listen jazz, blues, vocal...some classic rock...

Regards,
Simon
•Would that be your first turntable?
•Also, your budget would be helpful with any suggestions.
•Would you consider 2nd hand turntable options?
•And are you comfortable with setting up your own turntable or you're looking for something more plug and play as an option?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #63 of 2,710
Would that be your first turntable? Also, your budget would be helpful with any suggesting.
Would you consider 2nd hand turntable options.
And are you comfortable with setting up your own turntable or you're looking for something more plug and play as an option?

Few years back I have Linn LP12 1980. But didn’t have good phono stage.
I’m looking something in the Bluesound + Ares II price range.
I must mention that I have around 20 very good LP records :wink:
2nd hand is fine too..
Hmm...maybe is better something more plug and play.
Thank you.

Regards,
Simon

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #64 of 2,710
Based on that.
My suggestion would be a turntable with good foundation with room to grow as your vinyl collection grows and appetite to get more out of your vinyl playback.
With that being said, I would recommend new Techincs SL15000 C. Which is a plug and play solution. Comes with rather basic Ortofon Red cartridge but you can upgrade to Ortofon Blue replacable stylus for very little money later on. It has build in phono that should be fine for now. But if your budget permits later on, you can always upgrade that part of your audio chain.

You might also consider Rega turntables. They have turntables for every budget and are set up from factory ready to play. You would need external phono stage thought.
From used marker.....
Lenco, Gerrard, older Technics 1200 series are all good choices.
Problem is, you will need to find one in good shape, get a cartridge to match it, set it up and still find a decent phono stage. I think it could turn into a project that will take away from enjoying vinyl. If you want to get something simple and ready to play, Rega and Techincs are good choices.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #66 of 2,710
Sep 14, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #68 of 2,710

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #69 of 2,710
From Rega stable, I would recommend P2 for best bang for your money. It would leave you with some budget to go towards cartridge upgrade in the future and phonostage, however. If we are talking about sound quality, ease of use + potential upgrade path, maybe Rega P3 would be a better choice. It certainly is a step up in sound reproduction. And it offers some path for upgradablity. What I am referring to is an external power supply/speed control box that can be purchased separately (it comes standard with higher end Rega TT). And what it does is a twofold. For one, you can switch between 33/3 and 45rpm speed on the fly without the need to remove the plater and moving the belt to appropriate notch on motor spindle. It's a bit a pain in the butt to be quite honest. And two, it gives you a better control of the motor with speed accuracy adjustment. Regas are somewhat accurate when it comes to speed accuracy however, there's always potential for variations in that regard. Since external speed box/power supply has an adjustment feature for it, you are covered, ensuring a perfect speed at all time. Another thing to consider when choosing Rega is that, turntable’ feet are not adjustable. So either TT is placed on perfectly leveled surface or you need to use some sort of shim option to level your turntable. Not a deal breaker but something that needs to be mentioned.
If that option still appeals to you than great.
But again, personally, I always try to recommend something that can be used right out of the box for immediate vinyl enjoyment, and easy to use for more pleasant experience. Because less time you spend fiddling with your vinyl set up, more time you have enjoying the music. And that's what we all want at the end.
Best of luck on your revamped vinyl journey.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #70 of 2,710
I would be tempted to start by restoring a Lenco L75, fitting a Silver Note arm and an AT-VM740ML cartridge. If your amp doesn’t have a phono stage, a Pro-Ject Tube Box is a good place to start.

Nothing else has the drive and slam of an idler drive turntable…
I can vouch for that. My Lenco has the same setup except I’m running the vm540ml cartridge. Great tracker.

I used to own a Garrard 301, SME3009 in a granite plinth and that had great bass and slam. Used a Goldring 1012gx on that one.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #71 of 2,710
Great stuff. I think I have Lenco L75 that needs work somewhere in the basement. Wish I had more free time to get it running.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #72 of 2,710
L75 is the next best thing after a Garrard or Thorens TD124…

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #73 of 2,710
…or you could look at a Dual 1019!

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #75 of 2,710
The Technics would be the best “out of the box” option and Technics have been making good turntables for a long time, I had an old Technics turntable from the early 70’s gathering dust in a wardrobe when a friend showed interest in exploring Vinyl, dug it out, re oiled the bearing, new belt and away it went, had been modded a little and still had the Stanton 681EEE cartridge, for the cost of the new belt he was up and running as an entry to vinyl and he’s still happy enough a couple of years later,
If your considering new release Vinyl the Rega turntables without the external speed control could prove annoying as some new releases come as a double LP cut at 45rpm meaning you’d be changing the belt more often than it was designed for, used to be LP 33 1/3 singles 45 rpm which wasn’t so much of an issue,
In the same price scale as the Rega’s both Project and Music Hall have models from “budget level “ up including some with built in phono preamp and some with a USB outlet which allows a digital copy for storing anything precious or out of production,
some preamps including Rega’s entry level has the same USB feature too if that’s something you may consider useful …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back