Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 2,710
Recordings from mid-late 60’s to early 70’s are considered a “golden era” of vinyl reproduction quality. Almost entire audio chain was vacuum tube based with analog tape quality being the weakest link.
From mid 70’s on, early solid state gear/amps started being adopted more and more into recording/mastering studios. As it’s the case with any new technology, it wasn’t very good. Later, discrete designs enter the arena and things improve a bit. Technology was slowly improving. Many (from engineering world) believes that it took a turn for the worst soon after.
With promise of new, shiny digital format (CD), analog copies, tape decks got tossed into a trash.

Well, it seems that LPs outlived CDs.

But digital streaming is entirely new ballgame. It’s affordable, attractive, easy to use, accessible and it sounds pretty good. I won't deny that, It’s certainly the future for the music industry and an average consumer.
LPs on the other hand, will become elitist niche market, sadly. At least, it seems that’s the direction it is heading. As prices on used/sealed LPs are getting out of control. Flipers cleaning shelve of new releases and within few months, selling for sizable profit. New vinyl is reaching $30-$40 for quality mastering/pressing. It becomes an expensive hobby.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #17 of 2,710
Usual stuff for record care … Zerostat, Stanton stylus cleaner, etc …

Attachments

• 4A9CEE39-3330-44E1-8764-16F23D3B5BE6.jpeg
    4A9CEE39-3330-44E1-8764-16F23D3B5BE6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #18 of 2,710
Clean records, stylus is important part or getting most out of your LP playback. I assume we all know that.
I think, it’s a good topic. Especially for someone getting into vinyl or someone who is trying to get more out of the vinyl grove.
There are countless products out there. And price varies from super basic solutions to ridiculously expensive ultrasonic automated cleaning machines. Not saying that those are bad. Actually, I think they're probably the best way to clean records that doesn't consume much of your valuable time. But it comes at hefty price.
Too rich for my blood. But there are much more affordable solutions.
I'll start with the cheapest, deep cleaning solution I know.

•iSonic Vinyl Record Cleaning Solution Concentrate, CSVR01
•Distilled water
• cheap carbon fiber brush
• cheap dish drying rack of some sort or similar
• microfiber towel for drying
This is optional but helpful. It will protect LP labels. It's called “ Nosound Record Clean Label Saver”. You can probably find cheaper alternatives on eBay.
Those labels are pretty durable and a little water splashes are not a big deal if you wipe it dry immediately after washing.

Mix 2-3ml of cleaning solution above with 0.5L of distilled water for your base cleaning solution. You could add several drops of high grade isopropyl alcohol for really dirty records. But I usually try to avoid products that contain alcohol of any kind.

That's pretty much it.
Use brush with your freshely mixed cleaning solution (apply heavily for wetness). Rinse with clean distilled water. Dry with microfiber towel and let it dry completely on drying rack.

I'll touch more on my own cleaning practices later.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #19 of 2,710
Usual stuff for record care … Zerostat, Stanton stylus cleaner, etc …

I own one as well. I do use it. How effective it really is? Who knows? Lol
But I do love gel based stylus cleaners. Alternative would be Magic Eraser. Just have to be careful with it. Basically, you need to set it on the plinth next to your toanearm then gently drop the needle on top of it couple times. It does the job but only if you feel comfortable with it. Never had any problems with this method personally but you never know......

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 2,710
My cleaning kit includes VPI 16.5 vacuum cleaning machine that served me well for over 10 years.

And cheap ultrasonic lp cleaning kit. (Don’t remember but it cost me around $170)

I mostly use ultrasonic cleaner these days and VPI for quick vacuum of water off LPs after ultrasonic bath.

Included some cheap cleaning accessories, cartridge setup tools for beginners.
AD67F420-83C0-412F-98C2-F6306E59F3CA.jpeg

14D5632D-3498-4C34-83D6-60458EC38359.jpeg

Also in vinyl news. Merillion Fugazi is out (Rhino). Not sure if there are a lot of fans out there (probably not) but I have a soft spot for that band so, deluxe 4lp set should arrive in few days.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 2,710
I’m very happy with my Pro-Ject record cleaner. Much better than the Blue Danube Waschbär I used to use (until it broke and started leaking everywhere).

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #22 of 2,710
Tonight I am listening to Heilung LP album called “Ofnir”. Band that uses a lot of Pagan/Viking influences might not be your cup of tea, however, Their creative use of vocals and home made instruments make it a quite interesting experience. It can certainly treat you with time travel experience into dark ages of tribalism, strong superstitious influences of Godly creatures and culture that was preconditioned through hardships of everyday’s life for war and conquer.

Band releases their albums on vinyl in small batches. Usually 500 at the time.
Sample

5EF71FEC-C972-49C9-84CB-ED7462801BC6.jpeg

This isn’t my favorite album from Heilung. As far as surface noise, I’ll give it a 5 on scale from 1-10. Not the flattest pressing either. Simple paper sleeves (trash). And average packaging, art work.

One of the instances where digital copy (Tidal in this case) sounds better than vinyl. At least that’s my personal opinion regarding this particular album. YMMV.

Have been listening to this album on QOBUZ. Amazing 👌

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #23 of 2,710
Doing a couple of comparisons with CD vs Vinyl:
London Grammar …If You Wait…. 43.05
Florence And The Machine .. Ceremonials ….56:03
Used those two as the LP’s were both released on 2 180g Vinyl LP’s cut at 45rpm vs retail CD’s
Via headphones and not trying rapid level matched A/B switching, instead comparing one side of one LP to the CD version as a musical performance,
Jury still out on preference so far, they do sound subtly different but not really clear if it’s the format itself or simply different mixing,
To late now to try over speakers at reasonable levels so I’ll try that when time during the next day or two permits ….

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #24 of 2,710
I’m very happy with my Pro-Ject record cleaner. Much better than the Blue Danube Waschbär I used to use (until it broke and started leaking everywhere).
I was wondering what quality are the machines Project is offering.
Especially since my VPI isn’t a youngster any longer.
There two things I don’t like about my VPI16.5.
1. It’s very noisy.
2. Since entire record rests on cork ring mat, it defies the purpose. Just imagine…. You have a filthy record. You set it on the mat, clean one side and then flip it and set cleaned side back on mat that filthy side was resting on. I have came up with a way to negate that issue but it is still pain in a rear.
Have been listening to this album on QOBUZ. Amazing 👌
Glad you liked it. Like I have said. Not sure how popular or unpopular those guys were in US . But they were pretty well known through EU back in the days.
Doing a couple of comparisons with CD vs Vinyl:
London Grammar …If You Wait…. 43.05
Florence And The Machine .. Ceremonials ….56:03
Used those two as the LP’s were both released on 2 180g Vinyl LP’s cut at 45rpm vs retail CD’s
Via headphones and not trying rapid level matched A/B switching, instead comparing one side of one LP to the CD version as a musical performance,
Jury still out on preference so far, they do sound subtly different but not really clear if it’s the format itself or simply different mixing,
To late now to try over speakers at reasonable levels so I’ll try that when time during the next day or two permits ….
Yes. Mastering will play a role. And so will vinyl/digital audio chain.
On newer artists releases, differences aren’t as pronounced as on older recordings. Mastering transfer from analog tapes seems to sound much better to my ear as well. Even mastering done by different mastering engineers could vary slightly.
For instance.
Two of my favorite mastering engineers are Bernie Grundman and Kevin Gray. At least when it comes to cutting in wax.
Both are quite amazing and their work is impeccable, however. Lately, I have noticed that for some reason Kevin Gray is a little more generous with letting more impactful lower frequencies go through. We have talked about bass reproduction on vinyl and why it is the way it is.
Perhaps Bernie still have some concerns with stressing needle tracking with more tactile bass? Who knows.

If you have Ian Janis “Breaking Silence” in your collection, try comparing it to digital copy (stream I guess. Unless you own her CD. I don’t).
Difference is like night and day.

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #25 of 2,710
Review of new Metallica box set.

I do like Metallica’s early decade or two but ……. But box set is a little too rich for me. I did pre-ordered their regular 2lp 180g version tho. But release date is on 24th of this month. Since it was pressed in Germany, EU gets it a little earlier I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #26 of 2,710
PS
I also recommend this interview with Mastering legend, Kevin Gray. Later in the interview, Kevin reveals his plan on opening his new recording/mastering studio (56 min in). All tube based. No transistors in audio chain. Going back to “golden age” record masters from late 50’s to early 60’s.
Can’t wait….

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #27 of 2,710
Mastering, and indeed remastering makes or breaks any recording, plenty of examples of extremes either way, have the original 1979 Vinyl of Pat Benatar’s debut Album In the heat of the night, and a1990 remastered CD version which most would be more than happy with, until they could hear the 1979 Vinyl version, night and day will bells on … 😬
on the other side I have original CD’s from the mid 80’s, friends who visit sometimes bring along the newly released remastered version, the odd one or two are well done but the majority just have the recording and bass levels pumped up and sound decidedly worse, I’ve re bought a few well used Vinyl titles on CD more to save the original plus having the digital version on my music server for convenience, no way I’d be replacing original CD’s with any remastered versions without the opportunity of listening first, luckily courtesy of friends catching up with older favourites,
Thats another downside of streaming music as they’re likely to have the newer versions of older releases instead of the originals ….

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #28 of 2,710
For that very reason the Pro-Ject only supports the label!!!

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #29 of 2,710
PS
I also recommend this interview with Mastering legend, Kevin Gray. Later in the interview, Kevin reveals his plan on opening his new recording/mastering studio (56 min in). All tube based. No transistors in audio chain. Going back to “golden age” record masters from late 50’s to early 60’s.
Can’t wait….

Interesting interview, the analogue vs digital battle continues,
going to the Chord digital setup in the past 12 months had me looking at the man behind the technology, and he’s now busy working on an studio A/D converter to match or surpass the Dave ….
finally up to the studio engineer but if that last piece comes together as good as possible then it’ll be Mic - ADC - Mixing - digital file,
unbeatable transparency if it comes to fruition,
But we’ve heard that before …. only time will tell .. 🤔

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #30 of 2,710
Mastering, and indeed remastering makes or breaks any recording, plenty of examples of extremes either way, have the original 1979 Vinyl of Pat Benatar’s debut Album In the heat of the night, and a1990 remastered CD version which most would be more than happy with, until they could hear the 1979 Vinyl version, night and day will bells on … 😬
on the other side I have original CD’s from the mid 80’s, friends who visit sometimes bring along the newly released remastered version, the odd one or two are well done but the majority just have the recording and bass levels pumped up and sound decidedly worse, I’ve re bought a few well used Vinyl titles on CD more to save the original plus having the digital version on my music server for convenience, no way I’d be replacing original CD’s with any remastered versions without the opportunity of listening first, luckily courtesy of friends catching up with older favourites,
Thats another downside of streaming music as they’re likely to have the newer versions of older releases instead of the originals ….
Yeah. It's quite simple. There are good and bad vinyl or CD copies. And nothing wrong with enjoying both formats.
Personally, I don't remember the last time I bought a CD..... maybe 8 or 10 years ago? I think I got the Who CD that came directly from them with their latest LP release.
I might give it a shot and compare both formats. Should be an exact copy. I'm guessing that both were mastered from the same Hi-res file so differences shouldn't be too dramatic.
Latest comparison I have made between digital vs LP was with latest reissue of The Doors L.A Woman on 45rpm vinyl and best streamed copy I could find on Tidal. It wasn't close. Tested on my speaker system.
Other title I recently tested was already mentioned Heilung LP album called “Ofnir”. And LP version sucked, to say the least. But to be fair, all of their albums sound better on digital. I don't think they pay a lot of attention to LP quality. Or, they simply don't want to lose money on quality pressing/production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back