Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Sep 11, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 2,710
Interesting interview, the analogue vs digital battle continues,
going to the Chord digital setup in the past 12 months had me looking at the man behind the technology, and he’s now busy working on an studio A/D converter to match or surpass the Dave ….
finally up to the studio engineer but if that last piece comes together as good as possible then it’ll be Mic - ADC - Mixing - digital file,
unbeatable transparency if it comes to fruition,
But we’ve heard that before …. only time will tell .. 🤔
Interesting.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #32 of 2,710
For that very reason the Pro-Ject only supports the label!!!
I know. I would recommend something like that over VPI to anyone interested in such an option.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 2,710
Yeah. It's quite simple. There are good and bad vinyl or CD copies. And nothing wrong with enjoying both formats.
Personally, I don't remember the last time I bought a CD..... maybe 8 or 10 years ago? I think I got the Who CD that came directly from them with their latest LP release.
I might give it a shot and compare both formats. Should be an exact copy. I'm guessing that both were mastered from the same Hi-res file so differences shouldn't be too dramatic.
Latest comparison I have made between digital vs LP was with latest reissue of The Doors L.A Woman on 45rpm vinyl and best streamed copy I could find on Tidal. It wasn't close. Tested on my speaker system.
Other title I recently tested was already mentioned Heilung LP album called “Ofnir”. And LP version sucked, to say the least. But to be fair, all of their albums sound better on digital. I don't think they pay a lot of attention to LP quality. Or, they simply don't want to lose money on quality pressing/production.
Never really interested in streaming, rather spend the limited $$ on hard copies and Vinyl and CD replay,
SACD never really took off as it should’ve thanks to rather limited range of titles, had the chance to listen to Brothers In Arrms 20th anniversary Hybrid SACD edition a little while back alongside the Vinyl version …. So Vinyl vs SACD vs 16/44 CD quality remix via a friends SACD player,
Started with my CD transport/Eximus DAC and his SACD player going straight into the preamp …. 1.SACD layer …2. CD layer … then added the Vinyl into the mix, pretty close but we agreed on 1.Vinyl …. 2. SACD … 3. CD … Then added CD played via my transport and Chord D/A chain … 1. Vinyl ….2. CD via transport /Dac …3.SACD …. 4.CD layer through SACD player …
Finally plugged his SACD players digital output into the Chord … 1. SACD via Chord chain … 2. Vinyl …3. CD through Chord chain 4. SACD 5. CD …
1 and 2 could swap places with different listeners as there were slight preferences either way but to us the real difference was just the lower noise floor of the digital …
Having said all that the most “entertaining” if not a believable soundstage was the 5.1 surround mix on the SACD with my 9.2 Atmos system engaged ..

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #34 of 2,710
Never really interested in streaming, rather spend the limited $$ on hard copies and Vinyl and CD replay,
SACD never really took off as it should’ve thanks to rather limited range of titles, had the chance to listen to Brothers In Arrms 20th anniversary Hybrid SACD edition a little while back alongside the Vinyl version …. So Vinyl vs SACD vs 16/44 CD quality remix via a friends SACD player,
Started with my CD transport/Eximus DAC and his SACD player going straight into the preamp …. 1.SACD layer …2. CD layer … then added the Vinyl into the mix, pretty close but we agreed on 1.Vinyl …. 2. SACD … 3. CD … Then added CD played via my transport and Chord D/A chain … 1. Vinyl ….2. CD via transport /Dac …3.SACD …. 4.CD layer through SACD player …
Finally plugged his SACD players digital output into the Chord … 1. SACD via Chord chain … 2. Vinyl …3. CD through Chord chain 4. SACD 5. CD …
1 and 2 could swap places with different listeners as there were slight preferences either way but to us the real difference was just the lower noise floor of the digital …
Having said all that the most “entertaining” if not a believable soundstage was the 5.1 surround mix on the SACD with my 9.2 Atmos system engaged ..
I will admit that I also heard very compelling digital playback systems. To the point that you forget that you're listening to digital copy.

It also has been a while since I've listened to SACDs.

But I am not surprise from your experiences/shoot out.

I'm just curious about one thing....
Do you remember (apriximitelly) a total cost of that digital playback chain? And vinyl rig as well. Just to get some perspective on cost of players involved in the shootout.

I think others would be interested as well.

PS
That's what happens when you don't keep track of your orders. Turns out I got two Black album copies now. Lol
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 2,710
Ok, I am spinning Metallica Black Album and I can confirm bass/percusive slam is quite elevated. Certainly nice and fun but exaggerated. Ulrich must have paid off mastering engineer to make him sound that good.
Vocal is good. I can't sense excessive sibilance. I would muffle hi-hat set a bit. Hi-hat is super hot but not crisp. Gitars could be more flashed out and more forward. Usually guitar is put a little up front in your face. Especially with Metal. Not in this case. Soundstage is wide. You can tell that recording space is larger than your typical recording studio.
Overall, I would say...... get it.
They did a pretty awesome job.

Let me just swap headphones for my truth tellers (ADX5000).
Not exactly “Metal” headphones but extremely revealing........

Holly macro!
Soundstage and imaging is wide precise. Hetfield’s voice gets a bit more forward presentation and his unmistakable growling comes through more. Guitar is where I like it to be. Vocal gets a smidgen of sibilance and hi-hats are even more in your face but crispier. Nuances coming through that escaped me with HE6 V2 SEs. Bass is still there, still punchy but not comically exaggerated. More texture on drums as well. But for long metal session I would go back to HE6s.....I think.
But it's not a headphone review but quality control thingy.
Yup, awesome record.

Apologies but those were live impressions on the fly.

Edit
Forgot to mentioned that packaging is so, so. Very little info, no pics, zilch. (you get lyrics sheet + free downloads code card)
Records are clean tho. No marks or scratches. Minimal hiss, no clicks or pops.

Since they own their masters (previously Warner I think) and Blackened Recordings they're in total control as far as quality is concerned. I think they also partially own lp records pressing plant. Glad to see that they didn't butcher this great album.
Bravo Mettalica.
Good job.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #36 of 2,710
Pretty inflated local prices here lately with exchange rates less than when I bought the Vinyl gear,
As a guide the Yamaha SACD player a friend brought over would be roughly the same cost as the Rega RP6 /Exact plus Reflex M pre,
The Chord MScaler /Qutest plus Cambridge transport would be double that …
all the digital, analogue and speaker cables are mid range Nordost micro monofilament…

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #37 of 2,710
Pretty inflated local prices here lately with exchange rates less than when I bought the Vinyl gear,
As a guide the Yamaha SACD player a friend brought over would be roughly the same cost as the Rega RP6 /Exact plus Reflex M pre,
The Chord MScaler /Qutest plus Cambridge transport would be double that …
all the digital, analogue and speaker cables are mid range Nordost micro monofilament…
I mean lp rig vs digital. No cables, speakers etc. Just cost of sources.
If not the actual price perhaps percentage ratio could suffice.

Example my digital rig dac/streamer+CD player = 10K MSRP

Analog. Turntable + phono stage = 6K

Digital costs almost twice as much as my analog rig (40% more to be exact)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #38 of 2,710
Chord MScaler and Qutest DAC plus Cambridge CD transport and digital connecting cables around 10k
roughly double the price today of the Rega RP6 and Reflex phono preamp, around 4k when I bought them a few years back now…
what exchange rates can do … Phono Preamp with optional Linear PSU has increased by 50% since 2014 … 😳

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #39 of 2,710
Chord MScaler and Qutest DAC plus Cambridge CD transport and digital connecting cables around 10k
roughly double the price today of the Rega RP6 and Reflex phono preamp, around 4k when I bought them a few years back now…
what exchange rates can do … Phono Preamp with optional Linear PSU has increased by 50% since 2014 … 😳
So, in your case. as well as my own digital to vinyl rig ratio is about the same.

Isn't it interesting that general consensus is (at least that's what I am seeing on line) that generally, you need to spend a lot more on vinyl setup to surpass quality of a moderate digital rig.

Perhaps that could be true with “entery” level. Where you could get a “decent” CD player or USB dac for $100-$200.
Not sure if USB DAC is a valid argument in perspective of budget minded option since you do need a PC still, to finish the audio chain. But that's arguable. And depends on your listening habits.

Another valid argument that could be brought to the light is validity of “vintage” turntable option. Something that I would suggest to someone on limited budget but still looking to get certain level of quality from vinyl playback.
Those turntables can be had for we'll under 1K. And will compete and/or surpass quality if their modern counterparts in similar price range.
And with decent phono, cartridge and a little patience, could easily compete with +-1K digital alternative. And to be quite honest, I would bet that in A/B comparison, majority would pick vinyl of digital.

I am familiar a little with Reflex phonostage. Here in US, they run for around 1K depending on options. With matching SUT and upgraded power supply, price can easily double that.

Phonostage choices are my personal Achilles heel. And I'm still looking for something that would wow me, but wouldn't break the bank.

My headphone rig is in desperate need of a step-up transformer to get the most out of cartridges that are used in that set up. I was looking at Icon Audio or Rothwell since they're in my budget comfort zone. We will see.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #40 of 2,710
Indeed good phono stages start at “expensive” and go up from there …
when I was more into speaker based systems the Preamp I chose was a Conrad Johnson CT6 and being before the recent vinyl resurgence I decided to go without the phono stage module as they started at $3k 😳

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #41 of 2,710
Indeed good phono stages start at “expensive” and go up from there …
when I was more into speaker based systems the Preamp I chose was a Conrad Johnson CT6 and being before the recent vinyl resurgence I decided to go without the phono stage module as they started at $3k 😳
That's the problem. A really good phono is pricey. And it can make of break your system. Phono and cartridge are two main factors that are the most influential parts of thevinyl audio chain. MM cartridges/phonostage are much easier on the wallet. And can sound great. When moving to MC wor!d of vinyl playback, things get more complicated and certainly much more expensive.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #43 of 2,710
Good and bad with the resurgence of Vinyl, more titles than ever to chose from but the price tags ?
It was 84/85 when I made the switch to purchasing CD’s, back then a Vinyl album was $14.99 and early release CD’s were nudging $30,
prices settled a little with supply at $20-25 for a normal new release,
Now a new release CD is seldom over $20 and Vinyl anywhere from two to three times that … browsing in the remaining few local record stores it always seems to be the younger ones going through the Vinyl on offer which I guess is a good thing long term, and that alongside the quality achievable from Vinyl for “starter” dollars, one of the new budget Audio Techinica decks is going to be miles ahead of streaming audio and likely outperform a CD player cf similar cost ..
looking back my turntable then was a Modest Ariston Q deck .. around $500 and a decent Sony TA-E77ES preamp, and even one off the best of its time Arcam Transport/Dac combo’s still couldn’t match the sound of a good vinyl pressing …
took over 35 years for “perfect sound forever” … 🙄

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #44 of 2,710
But look at the quality of those 84/85 pressings!

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #45 of 2,710
But look at the quality of those 84/85 pressings!
Yeah, some were pretty ordinary on fairly thin vinyl, but back then not everybody thought about keeping a record forever…
I have a few from back then like the limited edition 12”45rpm singles on heavier vinyl as well as Mobile Fidelity Labs 180g,
by the same token look at the retail of some of the new “limited edition picture discs” on coloured Vinyl ..
At least we might be seeing the next generation of “collectors” to keep actually owning physical media for a little while longer .. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back