Complete wrong post!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #482 of 1,087
ordering on friday
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #483 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not actually enjoying the FX500 that much...

Their boosted bass (as the major gripe) is enough to give me a bass headache...

...I really hope this is a burn-in issue... and, fingers crossed, if it is, burn-in will clean up / lift the treble...

I guess - to eliminate various factors, that I need to get another pair of FX500...

...Crap, this 'hobby' is really bad for draining money... why on earth would any mortal person be looking at buying in effect a third pair to rule out various factors... lol

The boomy bass in definitely a burn-in issue. It does settle down afterwards. Give it about 80-100 hours burn-in. Mids open up, soundstage widens. The deepness of the bass is still there only far less boomy.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #485 of 1,087
Duncan, what was the main difference between FX500 and IE8? To me IE8 has just horrible synergy with X1061. Almost every songs I listen to require tuning of EQ. What a burden! This has been a nitemarish week for me holding both new IE8 and X1061. Some songs with either heavy bass or high pitch are just unbearable to listen using IE8. I am really interested in knowing how FX500 pairs up with X1061.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #486 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have all three (the SE530 being the same as E500) and would not say that any of these is a significant upgrade from the others, it rather comes down to personal preference. The Shures have the best isolation of the bunch and if you're happy with their sound sig I don't think there's enough reason to buy any of the others. Other than curiosity and upgraditis of course, which was the reason I ended up with all three.
tongue.gif

Thanks James. From this thread, it seems like the FX500 blows the E500/SE530 out of the water. Curious to try a dynamic driver and upgraditis to find the best genre-player synergy are my reasons; though this hobby gets irrational quickly with conflicting impressions and FOTM hysteria.

I enjoy the mids and clarity of the E500 and they shine with the S9. Having additional extension on the ends would add a different flavor on the go. Bass quality and texture is more important than sheer bass quantity. I've heard the analogy that the E500s are like the HD650s and shigzeo referred the FX500s as HD650s so I'm confused.
confused_face(1).gif
I thought the sound signature would resemble the D5/7000s, which go well with hip hop, R&B, euro, trance, dance genres. Besides bass impact, does the FX500 or IE8 have the speed, attack, and decay to match the genres' requirements?

Upon further review, it seems noise isolation would rank as:
1) E500/SE530
2) FX500
3) IE8

I'm guessing the comfort and genre criteria rank as follows:

Comfort
1) E500/SE530
2) FX500
3) IE8

Hip hop, R&B, euro, trance, dance genres
1) IE8
2) FX500
3) E500/SE530

As for soundstage, does the IE8 go wider and deeper than the FX500?

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #487 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks James. From this thread, it seems like the FX500 blows the E500/SE530 out of the water.

I've followed this thread for a good while now and I never got that impression. Any links to posts?

[size=xx-small]I hate typing on this POS Apple keyboard[/size]

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #488 of 1,087
Quote:

Thanks James. From this thread, it seems like the FX500 blows the E500/SE530 out of the water. Curious to try a dynamic driver and upgraditis to find the best genre-player synergy are my reasons; though this hobby gets irrational quickly with conflicting impressions and FOTM hysteria.

I enjoy the mids and clarity of the E500 and they shine with the S9. Having additional extension on the ends would add a different flavor on the go. Bass quality and texture is more important than sheer bass quantity. I've heard the analogy that the E500s are like the HD650s and shigzeo referred the FX500s as HD650s so I'm confused.
confused_face(1).gif
I thought the sound signature would resemble the D5/7000s, which go well with hip hop, R&B, euro, trance, dance genres. Besides bass impact, does the FX500 or IE8 have the speed, attack, and decay to match the genres' requirements?

Upon further review, it seems noise isolation would rank as:
1) E500/SE530
2) FX500
3) IE8

I'm guessing the comfort and genre criteria rank as follows:

Comfort
1) E500/SE530
2) FX500
3) IE8

Hip hop, R&B, euro, trance, dance genres
1) IE8
2) FX500
3) E500/SE530

As for soundstage, does the IE8 go wider and deeper than the FX500?

IME the SE530 go down to 15Hz with a good source, so most likely you will not gain additional extension on the lower end, only more impact. The difference at the high end will be more obvious, especially with the FX500. Regarding speed, I always have the impression that my BA phones are speedier than the dynamics, but I could very well be wrong here as I've heard more experienced folks say otherwise. Soundstage is clearly better on both dynamics IMO, and yes, I'd say the IE8 go wider and deeper than the FX500, but not by much.

Comfort with the IE8 is pretty much dependend on your anatomy, for me they are very comfy. But so are the other two.

Your musical styles list makes me think that I'd welcome the dynamics bigger bass impact with these genres, except maybe for trance, where speed might be more important than impact. shigzeo is the expert on this, I'm only beginning to try figure out what makes a good trance phone.

Hope this helps and doesn't make it more confusing than before.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #491 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan, what was the main difference between FX500 and IE8? To me IE8 has just horrible synergy with X1061. Almost every songs I listen to require tuning of EQ. What a burden! This has been a nitemarish week for me holding both new IE8 and X1061. Some songs with either heavy bass or high pitch are just unbearable to listen using IE8. I am really interested in knowing how FX500 pairs up with X1061.

You're probably asking the wrong person here as I find the IE8 bass to sound almost plasticky... toy like (where there is little 'extension' on the compared to the victors).

To me, on the Sony player, the mids on the Senns sound unnaturally 'yellow', whilst the higher end sounds 'grey', not sure how to explain that, but if the synergy isn't working for you either, maybe you know exactly what I mean?

I am more than happy (after burn in) to use the FX500 with no EQ at all (although I do like clear stereo on, regardless of what I am listening to!) and the world is good... but, as I am discovering with my virgin pair of FX500, burn in is a deal breaker... they sound quite boomy and heavy out of the box... but sound oh so different after x amount of hours when it all settles down
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #492 of 1,087
Thanks again for your input. Even after about good 70 hours of burn in my IE8 hasn't wow me yet. In fact, I found IE8 to be rather sonically synthetic and maybe it's partly due to the fact I was using comply form tips, the music sounds so congested with lower frequencies but excessively harsh with high freq. This was rather evident when listening to industrial type of songs. Overall impression I got from this phones was feeling of "stuffiness". This is definitely not for a person who listens all kinds of genre at once.

Well, I already put in an order for FX500 with seyo-shop.com. Although I am not expecting this lower cost phone to be prefect, I am hoping that it will at least overcome the shortcommings of IE8 mentioned. My finger's crossed.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #493 of 1,087
heh, I bet Seyo have never had it so good!

Like I said in my previous post though, make sure that you allow for a burn in period on the victors before listening, as out of the box, they're not so great themselves...

Welcome to the club
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #494 of 1,087
Quote:

I'm thinking the impression came about from reading a number of threads, including the 100+ page X thread on phone synergy; where the IE8 was the hot phone and then the FX500 surfaced to take the crown.

Just got my FX500 today (about 20 mins ago) and it sounds great. Can't wait until after 50+ hours burn in.

The synergy is really great with the Sony X. Virtually no changes in the EQ except maybe clear bass turned to 1

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #495 of 1,087
reading all the reviews, i am planning to buy the earphones too. However I am little worried what if I need warranty, how expensive is it going to be dealing with a japanese vendor or will he or company even honor warranty?
Anyone has any experience with this, please help..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back