Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Jul 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #511 of 1,087
I got mine yesterday
biggrin.gif

I'm shocked Seyo shipped it so fast. I ordered late last tuesday and got it next monday evening. Getting something ordered on internet in less than a week is some kind of record for me. I listened to it for 3 mins and went for a game of tennis for 3 hours. I don't believe in burning in (I do believe in mental burning in though) but I let my player play thru it while i'm away.

Initial 3 min impression with medium tips on my Sansa Clip was positive. lots of bass. bit boomy. weak mid. lots of treb details.

Came back from tennis. Listened to it some more with large tips. I liked them. Seemed less boomy. Today, I took them to my office where I have my FX66 on the desk. Did a little bit of A-Bing.

To my surprise, FX66 sounds almost like FX500 -- to my lo-fi ears. except FX500 did a better job of separating instruments. when passage involves lots of instruments, FX66 would get bit muddy. With FX500, separation was better.

I'm not putting down FX500 -- it sounds great. I'm recognizing how much a good deal FX66 is -- if you are into bass heavy, shallow mids, and great highs.

My one day impression is FX66 is about 95% of FX500.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #512 of 1,087
Guys if there's a phone that I experienced 'burn in' effects, it would be the FX500. Out of the box the bass was quite strong. It does take some time for the bass to tame down, and when that happens the sound from the JVCs just head for the sky. I can now even EQ up the bass, something I wouldn't have dare entertain the thought of doing when I first got em. I think these changed more than my IE8 with burn in because I was one of those folks who liked the IE8s out of the box. The mids on the FX500 are no longer that much recessed as they were out of the box. I know that for a fact.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #513 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe devilsadvocate... I see you like things bassy
evil_smiley.gif

That is one of the things I like about the HA-FX1000, that whilst it is bassy, it is nicely in check (doesn't over burden the rest of the music) - I am hoping that the HP-FX500 will eventually end up doing the same...

...I agree with you (or at least your signature) though - The JVCs, in whichever form (FX500 or FX1000) are - to my ears definite keepers
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I definitely am a "basshead" (though, I think I just like headphones that sound like real life or at the very least nice speakers). I've been trying a lot of stuff since starting this expensive hobby, but so far the fx500 has been the sweet spot. Bassy yet detailed, but without losing a lot of the realism (which, I find to be the case with armature based 'phones). But yeah, I've become quite a troll for these headphones. If JVC could top these I would be really, really impressed.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #514 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it can happen for a variety of reasons. I've had it happen with only one phone, the Sony ex51 (after 3 years of heavy use).

Exactly the same thing happened recently to me, also with Sony ex51s, hence my recent acquisition of the ex300s.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #515 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_o_n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My one day impression is FX66 is about 95% of FX500.

now don't get me wrong, I love my (now broken
frown.gif
) fx66's, but really are they that similar?...the fx66's are like £12...

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #516 of 1,087
Duncan, lemme know when you need that second pair. I'll loan you mine...(oops, I'd better get to burning them properly in then!)

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #517 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I find that metal does not go well with these. Fast guitar riffs and harshness in the mids are not a good combination to me.

Going to chime in here after listening to these for about two weeks on and off.

Coming from a 3G iphone unamped these sound horrible with metal (to my ears). Specifically listening to Opeth's 'My Arm's Your Hearse' the recessed mids almost make me strain to hear detail in the song and I run into a wall-of-sound when you get to extremely fast guitar riffs going in the highs.

I absolutely love these IEM's for hip-hop. Listening to Mos Def's 'Ecstatic' the bass resolution is amazing and the overall sound is very silky and smooth.

I really need to get around to trying different tips (currently using Comply's) but to me these seem to be turning into very specialized IEMs for certain genres of music. Still probably haven't hit many of the burn in milestones so I am holding off my final judgment until then.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #518 of 1,087
SleazyC-
Do you hear similar recessed mids with other phones on the Opeth track? Maybe it's a stupid question... if so, sorry in advance. I'm just wondering if it's possibly more due to recording characteristics of that particular album...

As for tips, Comply's do work very well. Also, you may want to order some of the Sony Hybrid tips. They're really really good with the FX500's....

Let us know what you figure out as you keep listening / experimenting.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #519 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for tips, Comply's do work very well. Also, you may want to order some of the Sony Hybrid tips. They're really really good with the FX500's....

Na, not IMO. The Hybrid's tube hole is too small which results in a less expanded sound + attenuates the highs and lows, recessing the mids. Yay for post #2222!

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #520 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to chime in here after listening to these for about two weeks on and off.

Coming from a 3G iphone unamped these sound horrible with metal (to my ears). Specifically listening to Opeth's 'My Arm's Your Hearse' the recessed mids almost make me strain to hear detail in the song and I run into a wall-of-sound when you get to extremely fast guitar riffs going in the highs.

I absolutely love these IEM's for hip-hop. Listening to Mos Def's 'Ecstatic' the bass resolution is amazing and the overall sound is very silky and smooth.

I really need to get around to trying different tips (currently using Comply's) but to me these seem to be turning into very specialized IEMs for certain genres of music. Still probably haven't hit many of the burn in milestones so I am holding off my final judgment until then.

Are there any iems in that price range that you would say sound good with metal?

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #521 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now don't get me wrong, I love my (now broken
frown.gif
) fx66's, but really are they that similar?...the fx66's are like £12...

Now i did about 6 more hours of burn in -- for a total of 10 hours.

granted, my source files are usually lower bitrates. To me, FX66 is more "forward" or more "immediate" (i'm new to head-fi and its terms, so I'm not certain how to describe what i'm hearing in words so bear with me
biggrin.gif
). FX500 seems bit more laid back or slower. Volume level seems a bit less on FX500. Secondary instruments play with more distinction (some instruments do reverbrating thing that's very gratifying to me)

I hear more of my surroundings with FX500 than FX66.

SQ wise, they still seem very similar, hence my comment of FX66 being 95% of FX500 . If someone has both FX66 and FX500, could you please do a comparison?

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #522 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_o_n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now i did about 6 more hours of burn in -- for a total of 10 hours.

granted, my source files are usually lower bitrates. To me, FX66 is more "forward" or more "immediate" (i'm new to head-fi and its terms, so I'm not certain how to describe what i'm hearing in words so bear with me
biggrin.gif
). FX500 seems bit more laid back or slower. Volume level seems a bit less on FX500. Secondary instruments play with more distinction (some instruments do reverbrating thing that's very gratifying to me)

I hear more of my surroundings with FX500 than FX66.

SQ wise, they still seem very similar, hence my comment of FX66 being 95% of FX500 . If someone has both FX66 and FX500, could you please do a comparison?

well I shall do when I get them next week. My FX66's are broken but not to the point of then not working, the driver unit has just come away from the housing. Will let you know

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #523 of 1,087
Hmm...

FX66 is Under £15 from Amazon UK...

Getting paid on Friday... I guess at this pocket money price, it might be worth picking them up... If someone will take them off of my hands if I don't like them
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #524 of 1,087
the FX66's are a very nice earphone for the money and it'd be a hard choice to decide between them and the nuforces as my fav IEM I've owned so far - I think I'd give it to the Nuforces coz the treble on the 66's is a bit shrill and it lacked the overall SQ but the 66's are brilliant cheap IEM's

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #525 of 1,087
Just moved the EQ on my Sony A829 on 1.0kHz to +1, leaving the rest flat with ClearBass at +3.

The Mid-Range on these has now opened up significantly and the sound is stunning!

Everyone who can EQ should check this out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back