VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #335 of 507
Quote:
Okay so even if I do not need very high volume you don't feel it would be better than a more powerful amp without the ability to bypass the iPods DAC in terms of sound quality?

IMO, no.  Ipod DAC is probably inferior to the GoDAPs, but it isn't terrible.  I believe the benefits of added power would outweigh the lack of on-board DAC assuming you are planning to use as a portable unit.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #338 of 507
The official Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter comes with a wolfson dac to provided analog out, so yes you could use one of those with an iPhone or Touch 5 with just an amp.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #339 of 507
Quote:
The definite answer is YES. Shane please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Quote:
The official Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter comes with a wolfson dac to provided analog out, so yes you could use one of those with an iPhone or Touch 5 with just an amp.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45

I understand that one can use the lightning to 30-pin, then use the 30-pin line out.  However, I have read the DAC in the lightning adapter is inferior to even using headphone out instead.  The clarification I am seeking is if anyone knows if any of the new portable amps with built-in DAC, such as GoDAPX and Centrance M8 include or offer a direct lightning to input cable.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #340 of 507
The new V-MODA Verza is coming out very soon. It suppose to be an upgraded version of Go-Dap X and should be ok to drive HD650. If you want more power, I suggest you go to HiFi-M8. That's 1500mW/channel for you to drive almost every headphones on earth comfortably. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #341 of 507
Quote:
The new V-MODA Verza is coming out very soon. It suppose to be an upgraded version of Go-Dap X and should be ok to drive HD650. If you want more power, I suggest you go to HiFi-M8. That's 1500mW/channel for you to drive almost every headphones on earth comfortably. 
biggrin.gif

I read that Verza will have the same 150mw/channel and the Vamp which I hope is incorrect.

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #342 of 507
Quote:

I understand that one can use the lightning to 30-pin, then use the 30-pin line out.  However, I have read the DAC in the lightning adapter is inferior to even using headphone out instead.  The clarification I am seeking is if anyone knows if any of the new portable amps with built-in DAC, such as GoDAPX and Centrance M8 include or offer a direct lightning to input cable.

There is a picture of someone using their godap with an iphone which looks like a cable as you are saying, don't think it comes with the godap though. If the dac in the lightning adaptor is that bad it makes me think one of the amp/dacs that work with idevices could be the best option but they are all so expensive!

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #343 of 507
Quote:
There is a picture of someone using their godap with an iphone which looks like a cable as you are saying, don't think it comes with the godap though. If the dac in the lightning adaptor is that bad it makes me think one of the amp/dacs that work with idevices could be the best option but they are all so expensive!

The big challenge always seems to be balancing sound quality, portability and cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back