V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
Apr 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #496 of 972
  Mine just arrived this morning, sexiest and toughest on-ear headphones I have ever seen
Sound quality is great so far, I love the midrange, smooth upfront. I wish it could be a bit colored like my M50 though. Treble is much better and not rolled off like M80
And here's another big fan of Fairy Tail 
biggrin.gif

How big a fan are you? This big?

Also, did V-MODA engrave the Fairy emblem as mirrored so they both face the same direction when they're installed? I didn't think they did that unless asked to do so.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #497 of 972
  Also, did V-MODA engrave the Fairy emblem as mirrored so they both face the same direction when they're installed? I didn't think they did that unless asked to do so.

I think I prefer the logo always facing left. I understand the desire for symmetry on the right cup but it just feels a bit unusual. Looking at it, it would take a moment to realize what it is until I got used to seeing it.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #498 of 972

I think I prefer the logo always facing left. I understand the desire for symmetry on the right cup but it just feels a bit unusual. Looking at it, it would take a moment to realize what it is until I got used to seeing it.

I was under the assumption they would have made both the shields identical. I got a pair for myself and for my friend and they mirrored both sets. I was kind of disappointed by it, but it is what it is.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #499 of 972
  I was under the assumption they would have made both the shields identical. I got a pair for myself and for my friend and they mirrored both sets. I was kind of disappointed by it, but it is what it is.

Interesting. I have my logo on the shields and they didn't invert one of them. Then again, mine has text so maybe that's why.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #500 of 972
  How big a fan are you? This big?

Haha nice cosplay. I don't have that muscular body though =))
Yes, they are mirrored and V-MODA did it on their own. It would looks unnatural otherwise anyway.
After doing some A-B with my M50, they have very opposite sound signatures, XS has dark tonality and more bass quantity for sure, the midrange is thick but is veil and the soundstage is narrower.  On the other hand, M50 is much brighter, has more 3D imaging which provides better instrument separation, and smooth sparkle treble; the midrange is a bit thinner and recessed than XS but overall it offers much engaging sound quality. I would say that XS is only good for modern pop music while M50 can play a wide range of music very well. I listen to anime music a lot and M50 is definitely more suited for it.
Well, the XS is still a pair of decent sounding cans anyway, considering their design, durability and portability. they worth the money. Still, it would be perfect if the XS has a brighter sounding..

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #502 of 972
"MUST READ" Review from Macworld flashed on my Google Alerts...

even the URL is interesting:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2148208/gear-we-love-v-moda-XS-is-IS-THE-PORTABLE-ON-EAR-HEADPHONE-TO-BEAT.html

Gear We Love: V-MODA's XS portable headphone gets everything right

AT A GLANCE

1. V-MODA XS on-ear headphones Outstanding full-size, on-ear headphone is impressively rugged and truly portable.
  2. frakes-250x250-100226029-byline.png
    Dan Frakes@danfrakes
  3. Apr 28, 2014 6:00 AM

There’s a lot of gear out there for your Apple devices, but how do you know which are worth your time and what’s not worth your money? In our Gear We Love column, Macworld’s editors tell you about the products we’re personally using—and loving.

As the headphones guy on staff, I see a lot of audio gear. But unless a product is really special, once I’m done testing I go back to my old favorites. V-MODA’s new XS on-ear headphone is one of those special products.

Over the past few years, V-MODA has released a number of great headphones that offer the company’s “modern audiophile” sound signature: overall accuracy, but with a bit of bass emphasis for a toe-tapping kick. In addition to great sound quality, these headphones have all been impressively well built, and they’ve had designs that are—at least to my eyes—much more stylish than the typical higher-end headphone. But the XS just may be my favorite of the bunch.

The XS essentially takes the acclaimed Crossfade M–80 and improves on it while making it truly portable. The XS has the same sturdy, leather-wrapped headband—which can be pulled and twisted to an astonishing degree without breaking it or affecting its shape—and the same compact earpieces with soft, memory-foam earpads. The metal hinges are rugged, and though the entire package weighs less than seven ounces, it feels like it should be able to handle a good amount of trauma.

(V-MODA says the XS has been tested to withstand over 70 drops onto concrete from 1.5 meters, and that it can survive extreme temperatures, humidity, salt spray, and UV rays—in other words, as long as you don’t drop the XS in the pool, it should last a while. The company provides a two-year warranty, and V-MODA’s “Immortal Life Program” promises that if you ever destroy your XS, regardless of the cause, you can get a replacement for half price.)

The black XS, unfolded, next to its rugged travel case

But whereas the Crossfade M–80 is only moderately portable, the XS is specifically aimed at portable use: The earpieces fold up into the headband, allowing the XS to fit into the included hardshell travel case, which is compact enough to fit in even a small laptop bag or backpack. Alternatively, you can use the included carabiner to clip the case to the outside of your bag—the case is sturdy enough to protect the headphones from most reasonable abuse.

Another big improvement over the M–80 is the XS’s unique headband design. Whereas a traditional headband rests most of the weight of the headphone on the crown of your head, with gaps on the sides of your head, the XS’s headband is shaped to remove those gaps so the headphone’s weight is distributed more evenly along both the sides and the top of your noggin. The result is both an aesthetic improvement (the headphone looks less bulky) and, more important, a noticeable increase in comfort. With many full-size headphones, the crown of my head eventually gets sore due to the weight resting on that single point; with the XS, I’m able to listen for hours at a time without discomfort.

An interesting feature of the XS is that it includes two inputs. At the bottom of each earpiece is a 1/8-inch jack for the included headphone cable, so you can choose to have the cable connected on the left or right. But these jacks can also serve a couple other purposes: You can plug a second audio source into the unused jack—the XS mixes the two inputs—or you can connect a friend’s headphones so that you can both listen to the same source. (The XS ships with two “V-Cork” plugs to cover the extra jack when not in use.)

The white XS folded up next to an iPhone (housed in V-MODA’s Verza case/amplifier).

Speaking of cables, the XS includes a cloth-covered, Kevlar-reinforced, 4.5-foot headphone cable with inline remote and microphone modules. V-MODA says the cable can withstand over one million bends, but my favorite feature here is that V-MODA separates the mic and remote, placing the mic closer to your mouth for better audio pickup while positioning the remote module farther down the cable to make it easier to reach (and see). I am disappointed, however, that the cable offers only a single-button remote, instead of the company’s nicer three-button version. (You can purchase the three-button version separately.)

As for audio performance, V-MODA says the XS improves on the M–80, and though the differences are subtle, I agree. You get treble and midrange that are clear and well balanced (a bit more so, to my ears, than with the M–80), along with bass response that’s tight and deep, but emphasized just enough to get your head bobbing without sounding boomy or bloated. It’s, as V-MODA has appropriately named it, audiophile-grade sound with a modern kick.

Noise isolation, on the other hand, is only moderate. It’s good enough to block out a decent amount of external noise, and to keep your music from bothering others, but it’s not as good as with a set of closed, over-ear headphones, or with B&W’s on-ear P5, another on-ear favorite, which uses a unique leather earpad that excels at isolation.

However, I came away liking the XS better than the P5 in many ways. The XS folds up into a more-compact travel configuration; it feels more rugged; and though the P5 has a smoother overall sound and better isolation, the XS is a bit more, well, fun to listen to thanks to better top-end detail and that extra kick at the low end.

In our review of the V-MODA M–80, R. Matthew Ward called the M–80 “the best pair of sealed, supra-aural [on-ear] headphones I’ve tried.” I think the XS sounds slightly better, its improved headband is more comfortable, and its fold-up design makes it more portable. If you’re looking for a great headphone—great sound, great looks, and great fit—the XS is tough to beat among on-ear models.

(The XS is available in matte black or white/silver. As with V-MODA’s other full-size headphones, the metal “shields” on each earpiece are interchangeable and customizable—you can order your own shields with laser-engraved text or logos.)

View more now @ V-MODA.com/XS

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #503 of 972
9mm ftw

M100s are 40-45mm I think.
m-100's are 50mm, m80's and xs's are 40mm, and then there is a jvc headphone that has more total driver size than the xb-1000 with a 55mm woofer and 30mm tweeter/midrange driver. That's a total of 85mm for the win. Heeheehee. Beats by Dre studios are 40mm, and so is most celebrity endorsed cans at Wal-Mart's. Driver size really only matters in the world of bassheads, and being effected by magnet quality, design, etc. Hope this clears it up for ya! M-100's are at the upper end for driver size on audiophile cans. Hope nobody else answered this for you already or corrected you.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #504 of 972
well remember the m50s weren't really intended for portable use, their for studio use like the vmodas which was their main target population.

i'm not even entirely sure how the ath50 got into the portable world, their great sounding and credit them.

i mean but i'm surprised a pair  "studio headphones" gained such a following in the portable world. especially since their cable is soo annoying long (if you get the straight cable u need to tie it up in a rubber band--> not the most appealing thing to walk around with) the coiled cable is heavy and even coiled up its quite long for "portable use"

its only now that audio technica decided to make more "portable features" like the detachable cables (and 3 included lengths)
see here, I use akg k240 studio's with their 10' cable, retro looks, flatter sound than ath-m50's (I don't really think ath-m50's are really studio headphone. Picking out frequencies and mastering tracks, yes, but for music production, 7 db of bass boost is a little much.) semi open back, and way bigger than most think of when I say portable. And I use an e11 amp with them too, so overall I carry a ton of equipment everywhere. And I don't really care what people think of it either. I haven't met a whole lot of people on this forum who don't care about looks in a portable rig. I think that I'm going to buy XS or M-100 eventually. The frequency response curve is quite promising. Plus, I could put a pony on the side of it lol.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #505 of 972
see here, I use akg k240 studio's with their 10' cable, retro looks, flatter sound than ath-m50's (I don't really think ath-m50's are really studio headphone. Picking out frequencies and mastering tracks, yes, but for music production, 7 db of bass boost is a little much.) semi open back, and way bigger than most think of when I say portable. And I use an e11 amp with them too, so overall I carry a ton of equipment everywhere. And I don't really care what people think of it either. I haven't met a whole lot of people on this forum who don't care about looks in a portable rig. I think that I'm going to buy XS or M-100 eventually. The frequency response curve is quite promising. Plus, I could put a pony on the side of it lol.

If i may ask what are u doing while listening to them? Subwaying, busing, walking around downtown, quiet neighbourhoods, running.

For my purposes i cant use a semi open headphone. Im commuting 2-3 hours a day, on subway and bus. Now i nver used ur cans but i did use a "sorta semi open " headphone in the noontec zoros (which have a number of vents in the back) u cant see in pictures. Tried it maybe 6-10 times, noo good i had to turn up really loud to hear anything except just lyrics. Bass was gone, treble was barely audible, the mids except vocals all but disappeared

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #506 of 972
Got my XS's a couple of days ago...

IMO they really need amping. Without- the volume is too low - coming straight out of my Galaxy S3 at max level was still not loud enough for me. Sound was fairly un-dynamic and bass was not punchy or detailed. Coming out of my iPod Touch 64gb- the hi-freq seemed too emphasised, and the bass too low and not well defined. However, when amped, these approach open cans for hi-freq quality and present a far more detailed and punchy bass. Volume goes loud enough too. Overall, when amped, they are a big improvement on the M-80s.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #507 of 972
If i may ask what are u doing while listening to them? Subwaying, busing, walking around downtown, quiet neighbourhoods, running.

For my purposes i cant use a semi open headphone. Im commuting 2-3 hours a day, on subway and bus. Now i nver used ur cans but i did use a "sorta semi open " headphone in the noontec zoros (which have a number of vents in the back) u cant see in pictures. Tried it maybe 6-10 times, noo good i had to turn up really loud to hear anything except just lyrics. Bass was gone, treble was barely audible, the mids except vocals all but disappeared
riding the bus, etc. I usually have it pretty loud. What's odd is that they get louder than beats studios when I amp them with my e11.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #508 of 972

IMO they really need amping. Without- the volume is too low - coming straight out of my Galaxy S3 at max level was still not loud enough for me. Sound was fairly un-dynamic and bass was not punchy or detailed. Coming out of my iPod Touch 64gb- the hi-freq seemed too emphasised, and the bass too low and not well defined. However, when amped, these approach open cans for hi-freq quality and present a far more detailed and punchy bass. Volume goes loud enough too. Overall, when amped, they are a big improvement on the M-80s.
hmm. Your problem isn't the headphones loudness. Its the crappy onboard amp included on s3's. That's pushing 0.3 volts. Compare that to my Lumia 925 that puts out 0.6 volts, or an HTC one m8 that puts out 1.3 volts. Your galaxy s3 just isn't powerful enough for anything other than ear buds to get loud. It really doesn't need amping at all if you are using something other than samsung's. Samsung has never really been great in the audio department. Nokia is average to above average, depending on model, apple is great being at 1 volt, and the new HTC one m8 is a powerhouse at 1.3 volts. Good thing you said your source.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #509 of 972

You could also try it with your other gear.

Taken from your signature:
"iBasso DX100, Hisound Studio V Anniversary Edition, Cowon D3, Apple Ipod Classic,Fiio E17, Ipod Touch 64, Sony PHA-1,Dragonfly dac, Matrix Mini , HRT Headstreamer."

The Galaxy S3 isn't even a part of that list.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #510 of 972
I have to say that V-MODA's customer service is top notch.  I contacted them and they got back to me in less than a day and addressed my issue perfectly.  Great stuff!!

I am heading to Italy in a few days and am bringing the XS with me -- along with a pair of Faders for the plane ride for when I'm not listening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back