V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #8,011 of 23,366
Quote:
Something doesn't sound right, literally and figuratively. M-100 has the tightest bass I ever heard.  In fact, with some music, I would prefer it looser.

Hmm.. might be my ears then. Everything else is clear, but it seems like the bass bleeds into the mids for me. It might be my ears, or it might be that the pads were correct when they had the "less bass", and wrong when they have the "bigger bass"..

Quote:
Same as when your ears clog on a plane- hold you nose, close your mouth and try to push air through your mouth with your cheeks puffed out.  The air has nowhere to go but your ears and you should hear them clear.

Apparently that's dangerous, and even when I try it, they don't clear - just crackle and go back to being clogged. PM me if you have more suggestions, as I don't want to clog up this thread with talk about my ears..

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #8,012 of 23,366
BRS, sorry if I've not been following your posts but did you actually try your M-100s before you tried changing your earpads?

BTW, what you guys are talking is called equalising (well at least in scuba terms). I'd say just take something that clears up your sinuses. Don't bother doing any audio tests in such health conditions, it doesn't do you nor your headphones any justice.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #8,013 of 23,366
Quote:
BRS, sorry if I've not been following your posts but did you actually try your M-100s before you tried changing your earpads?

BTW, what you guys are talking is called equalising (well at least in scuba terms). I'd say just take something that clears up your sinuses. Don't bother doing any audio tests in such health conditions, it doesn't do you nor your headphones any justice.

To the first thing, yeah. They had a good deep bass, just like it has now. Thing is, when I changed them the first time (before I fixed them), they has much less bass, and the entire sound sig was balanced, but not as musical. Now the bass is back up to 'normal' but it's more than I'm used to.

And about the second thing, you're probably right. I'm going to try getting some sudafed today once I'm done my classes. I also wont be posting about what I'm hearing until I'm sure the problem is gone. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #8,014 of 23,366
Selvagem is a very happy camper.
One thing I can say about how I feel about these so far... extremely balanced.  Precision sound.  Definitely very happy with the isolation as well... Thanks again for all your hard work Val and V-moda as a whole...

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #8,015 of 23,366
Quote:

I'm actively avoiding the opportunity to post specific sonic impressions until the weekend at earliest, but treble reproduction is not what I had originally anticipated.  Of course, that isn't to say that it hasn't proven itself an asset...

In my time with the M-100, this had been my greatest concern.  Through driver/brain burn-in and a migration to Audirvana's superbly nuanced Direct mode, however, this discontent has waned considerably. (hence my string of zealously-stated posts from last night)

I too was initially unimpressed with the treble. To me, during my initial impressions, the treble seemed a bit laid back from the mids and the lows; and even then the mids seemed a bit held back from what I'm used to (SRH940/K701-like forward and very intimate mids).

Quote:
Adding to my pad problem: I can't even test it properly right now, because my ears feel blocked due to my cold. Anyone know how to get rid of this feeling? It wont go away even if I yawn like normal.

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about though. If I change them too many times, the seal will wear down from me doing so - invalidating what I'm trying to do in the first place. I'll try though.

EDIT: Managed to do it fine. Here's a tip for EVERYONE: Make sure that the 'leather' for the pad plastic is also fully under each prong, and that the edge of the pad plastic is at the edge of the cup as well. ANY small cracks will cause less bass. It's hard to explain, but make sure that edge meats edge, and prongs fully clip over the pad edge on all sides. Use a thin blunt object like a butter knife to make sure of the latter.

I really hope this helps - and as Val said, I don't recommend switching the pads often at all. It doesn't damage the prongs, but the pads themselves get a bit worn down with each removal/application.

Hm, sounds scary. :/
Maybe I'll hold off on changing the pads until after my full in-depth review.

Quote:
I have to say - after fixing the pads and bringing back the bigger bass - does it tighten up after a while? I've burned it in all last night, as well as this morning, but I'm not used to bass this... "wide". 

It certainly hits harder than my old M50's, but it also feels like it muddies the mids a bit - is it like that for anyone else? Or is that just from my cold & blocked ears?

I don't know if muddy is the right term for it. The bass seemed pretty tight to me. Not nearly as quick and tight as the SRH940 (when you can hear it
tongue_smile.gif
), but not "muddy" in the sense that I know.
From Stereophile:
Quote:
muddy Ill-defined, congested.

I thought the bass was pretty well-defined, even out of the box. In terms of presentation however, I do think the bass is elevated enough so that it makes the mids sound a bit thick for my personal tastes. I do appreciate the warm sound signature as I will be using these in mobile situations though.

Relating to soundstage/imaging (I don't know the difference still T_T) I thought the M-100's had really good instrument separation and air between them, but lacked width in terms of presentation (L/R imaging??
confused_face_2.gif
). Depth-wise, the M-100's seem to be pretty deep. The SRH940 had more width than depth, but the M-100 seems to be the opposite from my initial impressions. Instead of sitting in the front row of a concert hall, I feel that I'm a few rows back from the stage. I don't know if it's the reverberation effect that some people have reported with V-MODA headphones, but I definitely heard more "depth" in the tracks I listened too (almost like a live concert recording kind of effect).

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #8,016 of 23,366
Quote:
I too was initially unimpressed with the treble. To me, during my initial impressions, the treble seemed a bit laid back from the mids and the lows; and even then the mids seemed a bit held back from what I'm used to (SRH940/K701-like forward and very intimate mids).

Hm, sounds scary. :/
Maybe I'll hold off on changing the pads until after my full in-depth review.

I don't know if muddy is the right term for it. The bass seemed pretty tight to me. Not nearly as quick and tight as the SRH940 (when you can hear it
tongue_smile.gif
), but not "muddy" in the sense that I know.
From Stereophile:
I thought the bass was pretty well-defined, even out of the box. In terms of presentation however, I do think the bass is elevated enough so that it makes the mids sound a bit thick for my personal tastes. I do appreciate the warm sound signature as I will be using these in mobile situations though.

Hmmm,  muddy.... mids thick....warm......are we still on the M-100 thread???

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #8,017 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmmm,  muddy.... mids thick....warm......are we still on the M-100 thread???

From Stereophile again:
Quote:
dark A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency. Compare "light."
warm The same as dark, but less tilted. A certain amount of warmth is a normal part of musical sound.

^ That's what I observed with the M-100's on my listen

Quote:
thick Describes sodden or heavy bass.

^ This is also what I somewhat heard in the M-100. AnakChan's review said that Val said the M-100 was U-shaped in sound signature. The slight bass emphasis seems to take its toll on how the mids are presented.

Of course corrections are always welcome. I'm still fairly new to sound terminology too. I know I won't be throwing the word neutral around though as many people seem to use that all the time without knowing what it means.
Quote:
neutral Free from coloration.

Most headphones are not neutral. A lot of headphones can be balanced on the other hand.
Quote:
balance 1) The subjective relationship between the relative loudness of the upper and lower halves of the audio spectrum; "tonal balance."

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #8,019 of 23,366
Quote:
From Stereophile again:
^ That's what I observed with the M-100's on my listen

^ This is also what I somewhat heard in the M-100. AnakChan's review said that Val said the M-100 was U-shaped in sound signature. The slight bass emphasis seems to take its toll on how the mids are presented.

Of course corrections are always welcome. I'm still fairly new to sound terminology too. I know I won't be throwing the word neutral around though as many people seem to use that all the time without knowing what it means.
Most headphones are not neutral. A lot of headphones can be balanced on the other hand.

I respect your opinion and will be reviewing this glossary before responding, hoping that I will not be excessively circumlocutory.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #8,020 of 23,366
Quote:

It's my fault for being vague, but at no point have I been "unimpressed" with the M-100's treble range.  At the risk of delving too far into specifics, I had read statements in the vein of "no treble peaks" as equating to a de-emphasized high-end.  I've found treble to be more forward relative to the midrange than I had previously thought ideal, but the way in which those frequencies are rendered...

...stopping there for now.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #8,021 of 23,366
public class M100LaunchCountdown {
    public static void main (String[] args) {
        int count = 0;
        int launch_date = 60 //change this if the launch date is less than 60 days
        boolean v_moda = false;
        while (v_moda == false) {
            System.out.println("Must pre-order M-100's...");
            count++;
            if (count == launch_date) {
                v_moda = true;
            }
        }
        System.out.println("Veni. Vidi. Vici!");
    }
}

I think my Java programming skills are too rusty. XD

Those "cushions" were the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn. I'm surprised they added them to the Mixr headphone.

I bought and returned a Beats Mixr by David Guetta, due to bad clamping force against my head.

Until I researched online and found the M-80. The Mixr is about 3 times the force of the M-80 and yet I returned the M-80 too due to causing a bit discomfort against my ears. Imagine listening to the Mixr for 2 hours or more. BTW, the M80 blew the Mixr out of the water for sound signature....

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #8,022 of 23,366
Hmm.. might be my ears then. Everything else is clear, but it seems like the bass bleeds into the mids for me. It might be my ears, or it might be that the pads were correct when they had the "less bass", and wrong when they have the "bigger bass"..

Apparently that's dangerous, and even when I try it, they don't clear - just crackle and go back to being clogged. PM me if you have more suggestions, as I don't want to clog up this thread with talk about my ears..

Try Kenny Rogers 80's album, that will fix it.... :D

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #8,023 of 23,366
http://youtu.be/bZtgsUHdwP4

Can anyone attempt to listen to them with a few songs by Eric Prydz, Hybrid Minds, Calibre (Liquid DnB), and some other oldschool house music. Very interested to hear how they react to these styles of music - so far so good, I'm buying my M100s either way :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #8,024 of 23,366
Quote:

It's my fault for being vague, but at no point have I been "unimpressed" with the M-100's treble range.  At the risk of delving too far into specifics, I had read statements in the vein of "no treble peaks" as equating to a de-emphasized high-end.  I've found treble to be more forward relative to the midrange than I had previously thought ideal, but the way in which those frequencies are rendered...

...stopping there for now.

Ah I see...
So I was reading the RMAF thread and came upon this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"The M-100 are to the LCD-2 what the Momentum are to the HE-500"

And that somewhat confirms to what I've noticed about the M-100 (so far). The LCD-2 is known to be a somewhat dark headphone relative to the brighter HE-500. From my experience at the last local Head-Fi meet, the HE-500 is much more like the SRH940 than the LCD-2. Perhaps this is what explains why I thought the M-100's were dark-sounding.

It shall be interesting to see what I hear after taking these 6 days off using no headphones/earphones.

Also from the same post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The M-100 are expected to be in stock sometime in December as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back