V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #4,516 of 23,366
Quote:
I can't really imagine aesthetic shields making too much of a difference on the headphones considering they're just a cover for the housing. It's like painting your headphones, except instead of paint you're screwing some stylish armor over it. I'd suppose that one way to be certain of the difference is to listen to music with/without shields on, but in any case I'd say that while wood would be classy, I'd have to agree with scrypt that it *might not* be the best fit for the LP's/100's styling

Edit: Oh wow, thanks DancingCow! the black shileds on white looks pretty fabulous if I do say so myself! The wood? Not so much. It's like Scrypt pointed out with the design being neo industrialist, which makes the wood seem to clash a bit :/

I'm not an acoustics expert or anything, but I might suggest that wood might be more resonant and susceptible to offering extra unwanted vibrations either which way depending on the thickness etc. 

then again its just wood.

shrug

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #4,517 of 23,366
Quote:
which of these was your favorite?

Quote:
http://www.thehouseofmarley.com/stir-it-up-on-ear-headphones.html
Saw these a while back... haven't tried them so obviously can't speak to their quality or otherwise, but wood is entirely possible.

[A little OT]
Funny you mentioned the House of Marley's. Whilst on transit in Singapore, I actually had a chance to have a brief listen to them (Stir It Up & Positive Vibration) and I must say that I was surprised that they were quite decent at their prices (the Stir It Up somewhat warmer & the Positive Vibration a little brighter). I actually considered buying them for review 'cos I've never heard or seen them in Japan or Australia but didn't in the end as I'd have a hard time explaining to my other half - in fact I regret not picking them up now cos they're cheap afterall.

In fact for a extrovert coloured headphone, I was surprised that they've had such a low profile in Head-Fi.

Quote:
which of these was your favorite?

I'd rather have the M-100, SigPros, and the Denons (burnt-in) side-by-side before giving a definitive answer. If I could I'd probably even add the House of Marley's into the comparison (esp against the M-80 too for something in the similar price category).

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4,518 of 23,366
Quote:

[A little OT]
Funny you mentioned the House of Marley's. Whilst on transit in Singapore, I actually had a chance to have a brief listen to them (Stir It Up & Positive Vibration) and I must say that I was surprised that they were quite decent at their prices (the Stir It Up somewhat warmer & the Positive Vibration a little brighter). I actually considered buying them for review 'cos I've never heard or seen them in Japan or Australia but didn't in the end as I'd have a hard time explaining to my other half - in fact I regret not picking them up now cos they're cheap afterall.

In fact for a extrovert coloured headphone, I was surprised that they've had such a low profile in Head-Fi.

I'd rather have the M-100, SigPros, and the Denons (burnt-in) side-by-side before giving a definitive answer. If I could I'd probably even add the House of Marley's into the comparison (esp against the M-80 too for something in the similar price category).

Wow that's quite the plug for House of Marley's.  When I saw them, I wondered how much of it was spin given their eco angle, but after thinking about it a bit, realized that the whole notion of going the wood direction made some sense... I'm sure there are probably some very old vintage designs that rocked wood with the best of them. 

Also there's this...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/605815/beyerdynamic-dt-880-250-ohm-version-in-wooden-cups-review
and of course, Grado (although they're open ear) also have their wooden models...

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #4,521 of 23,366
Quote:
So - are we still expecting the news for pre-order details today? Or should we mark another day on our calculators? (Needless to say, I'm excited.)

Mark my Calculator you say?

Well we've still got a few more hours for val to show up. Hopefully he's getting his website peeps to set up the preordering since yesterday after he arrived back from China.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4,525 of 23,366
Quote:
FYI, posted an hour ago on Val's Twitter:

Val Kolton ‏@valkolton
Good news: landed. Bad news: wrong airport! Jet ran out of gas to NYC..

That'll complicate what was no doubt an already hectic schedule.

I expect it all to go down tomorrow then, unless they go super-sonic on the next plane, hahahaha.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #4,528 of 23,366
Hey guys,

Hope this isn't too off topic, but I have a question I'd appreciate some guidance on:

Hideouspride has graciously shared his headphone expertise via PM and suggested that I go with an "at home" set of headphones and a "portable" set of headphones. His suggestions were the Philips Downtowns for portability and the Sennheiser HD 598's for at home listening. Buying these two sets would put me right around the price that I expect the M-100's to be once they are released. I am considering going this route, but was wondering people's opinions on whether it would be a better move to buy the M-100's as "one size fits all". I am willing to take a bit of a dive on sound quality of the Philips compared to the M-100's as long as the Sennheiser HD 598's outperform the M-100's (although I really hope that the Philips are good quality as well since $100 still isn't exactly "cheap" :) ). Since I'm not able to try the headphones out first, I was hoping that the community could help me make an informed decision. 

I know the M-100's aren't out yet, but it seems like a few people have listened to them and that they will mimic the M-80's pretty closely (besides being over ear).

Thanks everyone! 

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4,529 of 23,366
snarkie - It depends on what you're looking for in a headphone. I was not impressed with the Downtowns (at $100 and less for that matter, I have heard much better headphones) and the HD598s are bass-light so they would already be a pretty big contrast from the M-100. What genres do you listen to?

Honestly, if I was in your position, I would just go for the M-100. Why? Because I have a feeling you will still be curious about them once you get the other two headphones. Might as well go for the big guns to try for yourself. Just my $0.02.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4,530 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys,

Hope this isn't too off topic, but I have a question I'd appreciate some guidance on:

Hideouspride has graciously shared his headphone expertise via PM and suggested that I go with an "at home" set of headphones and a "portable" set of headphones. His suggestions were the Philips Downtowns for portability and the Sennheiser HD 598's for at home listening. Buying these two sets would put me right around the price that I expect the M-100's to be once they are released. I am considering going this route, but was wondering people's opinions on whether it would be a better move to buy the M-100's as "one size fits all". I am willing to take a bit of a dive on sound quality of the Philips compared to the M-100's as long as the Sennheiser HD 598's outperform the M-100's (although I really hope that the Philips are good quality as well since $100 still isn't exactly "cheap" :) ). Since I'm not able to try the headphones out first, I was hoping that the community could help me make an informed decision. 

I know the M-100's aren't out yet, but it seems like a few people have listened to them and that they will mimic the M-80's pretty closely (besides being over ear).

Thanks everyone! 

I would say go for the M-100's first.

Why?

V-MODA offers a "60-day test drive guarantee" trial period. If you don't like the M-100's you can always return it.

I can't say anything about the HD598, but I am assuming, yes I'm making a semi-uneducated guess, that they will sound more analytical (less bass, more treble) than the M-100, which may be good or bad depending on what kind of experience you want from your music. At least that's what it looks like after comparing the charts on Innerfidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back