V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #3,271 of 23,366
Quote:
I'll try problem though, there are chrome bits so it might be a challenge but it's possible.

Note that I wanted the top part to be matte brushed aluminium but because it's glossy, it looks a bit like chrome.

Try using a gunmetal color as a base - I did it here, this is the kind of teal that would work best with white, so please see if you could shop it up and see how a fully color-coordinated set would look:

Thanks so much

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,272 of 23,366
Quote:
Try using a gunmetal color as a base - I did it here, this is the kind of teal that would work best with white, so please see if you could shop it up and see how a fully color-coordinated set would look:

Thanks so much

I'm working on it.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3,274 of 23,366
Quote:

Certainly not the best...  But it gives you the idea.

The headband is the right-ish color, but the shields and Y-holders are much too bright - but thanks for the try! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3,275 of 23,366
Honestly I think it might be better if you just got the white model then tried to dye the fabric yourself.  The problem with releasing an actual colour like that is, some people don't like blue.  This is why they're sticking with shades like black, white and grey - they have more universal appeal and don't usually offend anyone.  If he makes a blue colour, people will start asking why there isn't a red, green, pink and etc - that just won't work, for reasons he's stated before.

I think sticking with the current three (matte, shadow and white) is the best choice.  Although shadow and matte look almost identical - I really like the dark matte look better though.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3,276 of 23,366
Quote:
Honestly I think it might be better if you just got the white model then tried to dye the fabric yourself.  The problem with releasing an actual color like that is, some people don't like blue.  This is why they're sticking with shades like black, white and grey - they have more universal appeal and don't usually offend anyone.  If he makes a blue color, people will start asking why there isn't a red, green, pink and etc - that just won't work, for reasons he's stated before.

I think sticking with the current three (matte, shadow and white) is the best choice.  Although shadow and matte look almost identical - I really like the dark matte look better though.

Dark matte does look great - and the feel will be the most professional among all of them, seeing as it won't smudge as badly as the glossy models. I can definitely respect marketing managers and personnel, coming up with even a color that fits the most people is hard, especially when you depart from using just black and white, because there are so many variations that people may want.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3,277 of 23,366
Quote:
Dark matte does look great - and the feel will be the most professional among all of them, seeing as it won't smudge as badly as the glossy models. I can definitely respect marketing managers and personnel, coming up with even a color that fits the most people is hard, especially when you depart from using just black and white, because there are so many variations that people may want.

Yup - this is why I really like the idea of the custom shields, since you can still add a custom colour to the original base.  It's not an absolutely perfect solution, but it's better than pretty much anything else out there (getting custom paint jobs is rather pricey).

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3,278 of 23,366
I think to please everybody, V-Moda should have an "à la carte" program where for an extra sum, people can freely customize their headphones completely. Although I think that it might cost too much for V-Moda.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #3,279 of 23,366
Quote:
I think to please everybody, V-Moda should have an "à la carte" program where for an extra sum, people can freely customize their headphones completely. Although I think that it might cost too much for V-Moda.

Something like that would be AMAZING.

I mean, if they had the base customization for their regular prices, plus an "Advanced Suite", for deeper customization, that would be perfect.

Regular:
  1. All customizations they have now, for regular price.
"Advanced Suite":
  1. Option for customizing headband color.
  2. Option for customizing headband stiching color.
  3. Option for customizing cup color.
  4. + All current options..
  5. .. For $50 or so more than regular customs?

I mean, that would be amazing - but I'm not sure if something like that would work out when it comes to the bottom line.. It seems to work for ColorWare though. I mean, just look at this!

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3,280 of 23,366
Quote:
I'll try problem though, there are chrome bits so it might be a challenge but it's possible.
Here's how I portray a Gunmetal M-100

Note that I wanted the top part to be matte brushed aluminium but because it's glossy, it looks a bit like chrome.

omg YES! THIS.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3,281 of 23,366
Quote:
Something like that would be AMAZING.

I mean, if they had the base customization for their regular prices, plus an "Advanced Suite", for deeper customization, that would be perfect.

Regular:
  1. All customizations they have now, for regular price.
"Advanced Suite":
  1. Option for customizing headband color.
  2. Option for customizing headband stiching color.
  3. Option for customizing cup color.
  4. + All current options..
  5. .. For $50 or so more than regular customs?

I mean, that would be amazing - but I'm not sure if something like that would work out when it comes to the bottom line.. It seems to work for ColorWare though. I mean, just look at this!

Except the only reason why ColorWare can do it is because they charge so much for the service.  What they do is extremely labour intensive (and it's not someone anyone can do without training and skill) and requires very expensive equipment.

As Val said earlier, so many different colours would be a nightmare to set up a supply line for - they'd have to reset the supply line each time they want to make a new colour, and they'd have no idea how many of each colour to make.

To do what you want them to do would either require each headphone to be hand assembled or for V-Moda to completely reinvent a new form of manufacturing, both of which are completely unrealistic.  I just don't see any of this working unless they did something like allow you to replace the headband, cups and the like - which I don't think they can really do without some major redesign or additional complexity, which is against their design ethic.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #3,282 of 23,366
Quote:
I visualized how a teal M100 scheme (with a bit of teal accents) looks like with Photoshop.

Note that I didn't meant the colours to be so oversaturated. Damn ICC profile.

That is a nice color scheme.
I for one wouldn't pay very much for a chrome headphones, rims or anything chrome, to me it has too much "swag" to it.
I feel like grey color would have a broader appeal than phantom chrome.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #3,283 of 23,366
Quote:

Except the only reason why ColorWare can do it is because they charge so much for the service.  What they do is extremely labour intensive (and it's not someone anyone can do without training and skill) and requires very expensive equipment.

As Val said earlier, so many different colours would be a nightmare to set up a supply line for - they'd have to reset the supply line each time they want to make a new colour, and they'd have no idea how many of each colour to make.

To do what you want them to do would either require each headphone to be hand assembled or for V-Moda to completely reinvent a new form of manufacturing, both of which are completely unrealistic.  I just don't see any of this working unless they did something like allow you to replace the headband, cups and the like - which I don't think they can really do without some major redesign or additional complexity, which is against their design ethic.

I understand, hence why I said that I didn't think it would work - but you have to agree, it'd be amazing; being able to completely decide every inch of coloring and everything.

Either way - I trust what Val is doing, and I'll be happy no matter what colors he decides to launch, or what packaging he decides to use. As long as the sound, build and overall quality is there - I'm sure we'll all be happy.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #3,284 of 23,366
Quote:
Honestly I think it might be better if you just got the white model then tried to dye the fabric yourself.  The problem with releasing an actual colour like that is, some people don't like blue.  This is why they're sticking with shades like black, white and grey - they have more universal appeal and don't usually offend anyone.  If he makes a blue colour, people will start asking why there isn't a red, green, pink and etc - that just won't work, for reasons he's stated before.

This is what I've been thinking this whole time. The one thing you are trying to go for when you pick a color scheme is universal appeal. There are so many theoretical combinations that could be appeal to certain individuals but wouldn't appeal to a very large group of people as a whole, and companies sell to the masses, not individuals. The custom shields is how V-Moda sells to the individual, allowing individuals to further define their headphones. 

Think about tech products - almost all are sold in either white or black, and that's it. Cell phones are 95% either white or black, sometimes there is a grey color scheme, and very rarely do you see an actual color like blue or red (talking about high end phones, not freebies). There's a small population that would probably spring for a blue or red phone, but they aren't significant enough to justify offering that color. 

As far as what has been suggested, the gunmetal on the last page stands out to me. Very aggressive scheme. The white+teal still doesn't do anything for me. It strikes me as quite feminine, and I don't mean to offend female users on here as I'm quite aware a lot of females like V-Moda, but a feminine scheme seems contrary to an aesthetic that's trying to be rugged and industrial. It's like a pink Mustang. It's got other things going against it: the only shield color that would work is blue. It's just like with the white+red I would like (but don't suggest): the only shield color that would work is red. Add in what DaBomb said about how people will start asking why other non-universal colors aren't offered, and it doesn't make sense if mass appeal is the goal (and it is).

About Phantom Chrome, I fully suggest offering it if the Phantom Chrome LPs sell well compared to the others. Disclaimer: I do not personally like Phantom Chrome at all. I think it cheapens the look like many others have said. What we have to consider, though, is that most of us tend to have more thought-out tastes than the normal consumer. A lot of people on here have noted a preference for schemes that are subdued and professional. A lot of general consumers don't have that same preference and prefer flashy products. Think about none other than Beats - general consumers gobble up the glossy mess that those are. Phantom Chrome has a bit of that flashy appeal for people who are into that. It's something that fits into the ultimate goal of attaining the most general appeal - there would be colors that appeal to more serious headphone users and colors that appeal to the general consumer. Again, this rests entirely on how successful the Phantom Chrome LPs have been. To me, if they have sold comparably to the other schemes, then the trigger should be pulled.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #3,285 of 23,366
We're not living in an Utopian world sadly and V-Moda is still a small company but maybe in the future, as they get more and more successful, who knows maybe something great will happen.
And this is for you BRSxIgnition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back