V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 19, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #32 of 1,160
I think the lack of CliqFold hinges is due to the color choices, which are the same colors as the Crossfade LP series minus the purple Nero scheme. I understand that the colors delineate a different product line from the M-100, but is it possible that these are just old stock Crossfade LP headbands repurposed for the Wireless model?

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #33 of 1,160
Interesting that it tackles some of the hard issues surrounding wireless headphones. Still I can't see me buying any wireless... Guess I'm some kind of audio dinosaur :wink:
Too bad it lost the folding mechanism...

I was too, trust me...  Steve Guttenberg from CNET and I had long discussions about how we hated wireless, he even had bad nightmares about it!  

But I'd love for you to try these, it may convert you as it did Sean and I!  Plus, remember, the passion of analog is the heart of this headphone as it is made to be played in wired analog equally to wireless.

However, we cannot deny that smaller devices (like smartwatches) and even possibly smartphones in the near future may not have 3.5mm or 1/4" jacks any longer...

-V

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #34 of 1,160
No CliqFold!? Oh well, at least we got some wireless convenience without sacrificing much or none of the SQ we love. Quick request though: Can we get a picture of the hard case for the VTFs? Is it similar to the hard cases of the LP line?

As always, good work Val and V-Moda.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #36 of 1,160

I was too, trust me...  Steve Guttenberg from CNET and I had long discussions about how we hated wireless, he even had bad nightmares about it!  

But I'd love for you to try these, it may convert you as it did Sean and I!  Plus, remember, the passion of analog is the heart of this headphone as it is made to be played in wired analog equally to wireless.

However, we cannot deny that smaller devices (like smartwatches) and even possibly smartphones in the near future may not have 3.5mm or 1/4" jacks any longer...

-V

Val, you're one of the few persons who get me into even taking a look at a wireless headphone as I'm really opposed toe the very concept.
Of course you got a good point in making it not only work without battery (getting another device charged is not fun, and being without headphones because the battery went flat is simply not an option), but at least striving to make it sound identical with and without wire -- thats a really big and important thing as many models compromise on that... either they don't work at all without battery or they are different because they are corrected by electronics to sound acceptable and are not clean without that correction.

I can't see myself using a smartwatch, but phones loosing the jacks may well be a problem in the future... its already one of the limiting factors when designing cases as I understand.

I do know and appreciate that you think things through to the end. So I may try them out if I come across them... but there's one thing that can't be solved in wireless mode: I see the cable as a kind of theft-deterrent: stopping my music would get my immediate attention :wink:

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 1,160
No CliqFold but I don't see anywhere stating it has no folding feature. Would be a disappointment if it can't fold at all but I'm very excited to find out more.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #38 of 1,160
No CliqFold but I don't see anywhere stating it has no folding feature. Would be a disappointment if it can't fold at all but I'm very excited to find out more.

If it folded, it would be advertised.  V-MODA pimps the hell out of all of their features, as they should, because they make extremely fully-featured products.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #39 of 1,160
If it folded, it would be advertised.  V-MODA pimps the hell out of all of their features, as they should, because they make extremely fully-featured products.

It seems odd if they can't fold at all. The M-100 of course have the CliqFold hinge and even the Momentum folds up. Even with all the electronics I'm sure there's a way they could've designed a folding mechanism.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #40 of 1,160
Interesting that it tackles some of the hard issues surrounding wireless headphones. Still I can't see me buying any wireless... Guess I'm some kind of audio dinosaur :wink:
Too bad it lost the folding mechanism...

I totally second that. 
cool.gif
  I'm interested in following the news about the new wireless V-Moda headphones, although I have absolutely no plans to purchase any for myself.

Until Rockbox (yes,...click, click, click that link to my big topic thread about it) can come out with firmware for some of the newer music players with a Bluetooth feature, until these wireless headphones can house a built-in amplifier with at least as much power (and with as good of a bass-boost switch) as the Cayin C5 amp, and until I can pair two pair of wireless headphones to the same Rockboxed music source simultaneously -- with each pair of headphones having its own separate volume control,...then I'll be stickin' to my beloved iPod Classic forever.

In fact, in the near future I plan on purchasing an unused iPod Classic off Taobao -- to keep as a spare -- in case my old one ever goes kaput.

And oh yeah,...I've been using the same simple, tiny, flat Nokia flipphone for the last 6 1/2 years, and have absolutely no plans to get a smartphone or smartwatch. So I guess I'm pretty old school, too, but with a unique twist to it, at least. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #41 of 1,160
I totally second that.  :cool:   I'm interested in following the news about the new wireless V-Moda headphones, although I have absolutely no plans to purchase any for myself.

Until Rockbox (yes,...click, click, click that link to my big topic thread about it) can come out with firmware for some of the newer music players with a Bluetooth feature, until these wireless headphones can house a built-in amplifier with at least as much power (and with as good as a bass-boost switch) as the Cayin C5 amp, and until I can pair two pair of wireless headphones to the same Rockboxed music source simultaneously -- with each pair of headphones having its own separate volume control,...then I'll be stickin' to my beloved iPod Classic forever.

In fact, in the near future I plan on purchasing an unused iPod Classic off Taobao -- to keep as a spare -- in case my old one ever goes kaput.

And oh yeah,...I've been using the same simple, tiny, flat Nokia flipphone for the last 6 1/2 years, and have absolutely no plans to get a smartphone or smartwatch. So I guess I'm pretty old school, too, but with a unique twist to it, at least.  :atsmile:  

You just may end up finding an iPhone makes a fine amp for these :wink:.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #42 of 1,160
Pity, to me one of the main selling points of V-Moda was the Cliqfold... i'll have to give this a pass and wait till Sennheiser starts releasing the M2 wireless again...

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #44 of 1,160

Comparing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless against my trusty old M-100, I feel the the wireless has an overall has a greater sense of clarity. There’s also a slightly more sparkle & air to the trebles however without sounding digital. The mids do sound a little thinner than the M-100 but not by much. The V-Moda signature bass is still unmistakable. The headphones still rumble however it does feel somewhat more tighter whilst my M-100 has a “woolier” bass by comparison. Overall tonal signature feels euphonic - you know you’re listening to a headphone belonging to the V-Moda family.

I love the smell of bull in the morning. This kind of talk is even worse than talk on golden cables that "improve the sound", diamond HDMI cables and such.

So far there is no single mention of V-MODA being able to do Apt-X in this thread (but a very long list of features that does indeed look nice), so I have to assume V-MODA does not have Apt-X license unless Val explicitly says otherwise. I really hope it does.

TL;DR if it does support Apt-X, the sound off iPhone and such will still be worse than on wired version. If it does not support Apt-X, the sound off everything will be worse, and I don't think it is wise to spend more than, say, $100 on a non-Apt-X enabled headset. If it does not support Apt-X, there is no way the bold part of the quote could possibly be true.

1. If a bluetooth headphone supports Apt-X, it indeed can sound very close to its wired version, but usually don't (has to include a good DAC inside of the ear cup and there is still that acoustics problem; see Tyll of InnerFidelity on Momentum 2.0 wireless review to learn how wired and wireless versions usually compare). But, you still have to have a source that supports Apt-X. MacBook Pro does it out of the box, you can buy an adapter for PCs, but a lot of really popular smartphones do not! iPhone does not support Apt-X. Nexus does not support Apt-X to avoid licensing fees. Same for 1+1 AFAIR. Even if Crossfade Wireless supports Apt-X, there is no way you can get the same clarity on iPhone or a Nexus phone.

2. If it does not support Apt-X, well, the sound quality should be audibly bad. If you wonder about that, you can get one of the Sony wireless headphones, they basically have a profile switch on them between common Bluetooth CSR and Apt-X, basically, Apt-X on and Apt-X off. MDR-1ABT and MDR-10RBT will do. Just pair them with a good Apt-X enabled source (Sony smartphone, MacBook Pro, etc.) and test it out. The differences are very audible — like comparing a 192 MP3 to 320 MP3.

Head-Fi forums have some great investigations on Apt-X quality and overall bluetooth headphones quality, so I advise anybody who's into that to lurk around. 

P.S. I am no hater, and I own 3 V-MODA products, but this is just plain funny.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #45 of 1,160
  So far there is no single mention of V-MODA being able to do Apt-X in this thread (but a very long list of features that does indeed look nice), so I have to assume V-MODA does not have Apt-X license unless Val explicitly says otherwise. I really hope it does.

I second this. I wantneed to know if this supports aptX before I would consider buying one, but, more specifically, which aptX it supports (or none at all, or something else). There are multiple types of aptX: "normal", Low Latency, Lossless, "enhanced" and Live, the latter of which I didn't know about until just now. Please be specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back