V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jul 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,506 of 2,828
I found these headphones on clearance at Radio Shack yesterday for around $130, so after hearing all of the good praise, I thought I would try them out for size. Thanks to this community, I have been on a bit of a headphone purchasing binge over the course of the last couple of months, and these are my latest infection.

First a little background... My first legit--or what I would call legit--headphones were PX-100s that I found on clearance at Sears a couple of years ago (notice the trend here?). Being the little budster that I was, I was immediately intrigued. I wondered, how could these slightly more expensive headphones add details to music that to me had previously not existed? Dark arts of some kind had to be at work. Anyway, since then I have purchased SRH440s, and more recently AT-M50s, HD518s and HA-S400s. The M50s did not make the cut for me, mainly because of their somewhat unnatural highs. I suppose my search could have stopped with the HD518s, which are pretty close to the sound signature that I like. But I wanted something portable as a replacement for my PX-100s before they got any more banged up. Someone suggested the JVC HA-S400s. How could I not try them out for the price? I did and I like them a lot, but they have their limits. The M-80s have a similar sound to the HA-S400s, but the M-80s are obviously better at everything. I am impressed with their build, comfort (trust and time help here), sound clarity, and thumpability. If there's one issue for me, it would be that they have a slight "veil" like the Sennheisers I own. I'm guessing this has to do with their lack of treble extension and may just be a factor I will have to live with given my dislike for fatiguing highs. However, I feel like I am making some ground on finding my ideal sound, perhaps at the cost of buying a bunch of mediocre headphones when I could simply pool my resources and buy one really excellent headphone. Then again, affordable headphones are what got me into this mess--I mean wonderful adventure in music appreciation--and may ultimately save the human race from the evil white bud apocalypse...

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,508 of 2,828
Thanks... but a bit too digressive perhaps? :)

Well, after listening for a few days, I have grown to really, really like these headphones. I find them to be very fun. Everything I listen to sounds great with them. The "veil" I initially heard must have been a phantom because I no longer hear it. I keep thinking that these headphones have kind of a vintage sound to them. That term may mean something else entirely in these parts, but for me "vintage" fits. Maybe it is because most of the music I listen to is vintage, and these headphones make that music shine. 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,509 of 2,828
Has anyone tried these with the O2? I don't know why but the bass is kind of way too emphasized/bloated on the O2(!). DAC is the Schiit Modi.
I switched to the Headroom Micro and the bass sounds much more neutral (no bass roll-off on the amp) and better controlled.
This makes no sense to me.

With the O2 it's hard to not focus on the bass and it's annoying.

M80 isn't bad so far but the low mids are a bit too forward.

So far it definitely sounds the best on the Micro Amp..not so much the O2. Weird.

BTW I scored these for $80 at Radio Shack!

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,511 of 2,828
Quote:
It's not marketed as a neutral HP, hence the low-mid emphasis. Also, I really haven't read much around here indicating that they benefit from amping.

Oh I know
biggrin.gif
I wasn't complaining, just pointing this out. I'm really sensitive to very forward low mids.
It's actually listed on their website as "balanced" though.

I imagine they benefit more from a computer DAC than a desktop amp.

On my Micro they sound pretty close to neutral (ok, well "balanced") but on the O2..not so much. What a mystery...

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,513 of 2,828
Was pretty positive I was going to return or sell the M80. Glad I switched to my Micro Amp because now it's pretty smooth and impressive in many ways. A little bass emphasis (not coming from the amp/dac) but not too badly. The low mids are pretty OK now and don't sound so forward.

Maybe it was burning in on my head? I won't go there
biggrin.gif

I did many A/B comparisons too.. very strange.

M80 is not even remotely comfortable to me though. Oh well.

Wonder if they'll ever make a neutral over-ear model? I'd buy that.

I guess I need to do a lot more testing with my O2. First headphone I hated with it.

Ok, off to try the M80 with a Clip+ and Ipod.

EDIT: Might have been caused by my powered USB hub. Hopefully that's it. Nothing else attached. No reason the O2 should sound bad with an M80!

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,514 of 2,828
Was pretty positive I was going to return or sell the M80. Glad I switched to my Micro Amp because now it's pretty smooth and impressive in many ways. A little bass emphasis (not coming from the amp/dac) but not too badly. The low mids are pretty OK now and don't sound so forward.

Maybe it was burning in on my head? I won't go there :D

I did many A/B comparisons too.. very strange.

M80 is not even remotely comfortable to me though. Oh well.

Wonder if they'll ever make a neutral over-ear model? I'd buy that.

I guess I need to do a lot more testing with my O2. First headphone I hated with it.

Ok, off to try the M80 with a Clip+ and Ipod.

EDIT: Might have been caused by my powered USB hub. Hopefully that's it. Nothing else attached. No reason the O2 should sound bad with an M80!

If ur not into the m80s sell em to me!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,515 of 2,828
Quote:

I hate to say it but I might return them. Love the sound but they're just painful for me to wear.
Maybe i'll instead just try to stretch them out with a book over night.
I've been reading that the comfort improves after a week.

Wonder if Vmoda will ever make a neutral M80 over ear. M100 is probably too bass heavy for me. Even the HD-380 had to much bass for me.

Really want to give these a chance since they sound really pretty good. Don't know about $200 good..but still good (I paid $80 on sale).

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #2,516 of 2,828
Quote:
Quote:

I hate to say it but I might return them. Love the sound but they're just painful for me to wear.

Wonder if Vmoda will ever make a neutral M80 over ear. M100 is probably too bass heavy for me. Even the HD-380 had to much bass for me.

Really want to give these a chance since they sound really pretty good. Don't know about $200 good..but still good (I paid $80 on sale).

T-dock, I think there's plenty of people who'd happily give you $80 + shipping for those.

Myself included.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #2,517 of 2,828
Quote:

I almost returned my V-80 for the same reason (discomfort). Took 2 weeks before I could finally wear them for more than 20 minutes at a time. Patience will reward you.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,519 of 2,828

Il easily pay 100 plus shipping for those if their white

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,520 of 2,828
Got a pair from and I love it.. I love the semi-open design. I noticed the crazy bandsaw instrument that plays somewhere behind and to the right of you for the first time on Michael Jackson's "bad" while testing them, great fun with the imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back