Urbana/Champaign Meet
Nov 2, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #61 of 112
Stupid New York having a meet the day before us... We'll get show them... WE'LL SHOW THEM ALL!!!!!!! We can start by seizing Ray against his will at the airport and then have Strohmie lure Hirsch onto a plane and then.....

Nov 2, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #62 of 112
I definitly be willing to go to the meet on the following weekend so that ray can come. I'd love to check out his line of gear. I've really been chomping at he bit to buy the Emmeline SR-71 for a since I read the review here, saddly I've been very, very broke. A chance to demo it first might satiate my hunger and whet my pallet.

Nov 2, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #63 of 112
Waiting will give my Ms-1's more time to get to me before the meeting.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #68 of 112
Sounds good to me. That'll give me some time to get used to my MS-1's. I can't wait till they get to me.

Nov 2, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #69 of 112
Just saw this post! Wish I could be there. Did both my undergrad and grad degrees at U of I. I graduated in 1994. My wife graduated in 1993. We've been back a few times since. This is the place where my hi-fi addiction all started....Champagne Audio was the calprit....

My first system: CAL Audio ICON CD player + ARC LS-1 preamp + Forte 6 amp + Thiel 2.2.

And as they said, everything went downhill from there....

Nov 2, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #70 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
Just saw this post! Wish I could be there. Did both my undergrad and grad degrees at U of I. I graduated in 1994. My wife graduated in 1993. We've been back a few times since. This is the place where my hi-fi addiction all started....Champagne Audio was the calprit....

My first system: CAL Audio ICON CD player + ARC LS-1 preamp + Forte 6 amp + Thiel 2.2.

And as they said, everything went downhill from there....

I've done some business with Champagne Audio, nice store. Glenn Poor's has some of the more interesting stuff (Avantgarde, Magnepan) but the place needs more floorspace.

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
I've done some business with Champagne Audio, nice store. Glenn Poor's has some of the more interesting stuff (Avantgarde, Magnepan) but the place needs more floorspace.

I started this hobby back in 1992, after the boyfriend of my wife (then my girlfriend)'s roommate handed me a copy of Stereophile. (I blame her for dragging me into this hobby, so she can't complain about my spending) I didn't know the difference between speaker A and speaker B, because all through college, I had an all-in-one boombox. I thought Sony, Nakamichi, and NAD were hi-end. I had a great experience with Champagne Audio as the sales guy there really went out of his way to help me understand how to listen and guide me to better products. He even deliver my Thiels 2.2s in his tiny 2-door hatchback Dodge, and contacted me when a few trade-ins that I was looking for came into the store. I was lurking at the store all the time listening at different components in their listening rooms, and they had no problem with me taking components home for audition. On the other hand, I had a terrible experience at Glenn Poor's. At that time, two great budget DACs came out with loud praises from Stereophile (Theta Pro Basic II and PS Audio). I wanted to try them both in my system. I had no problem borrowing the Theta from Champagne Audio for a week. But the sales guy at Glenn Poor's told me that the only way for me to audition the PS Audio at home would be to put down $2000 deposit (the retail price), and promise to buy it afterwards. I told him that's an Oximoron statement. If I had to buy it, then what was the point of auditioning it. After that experience, I never gave any of my business to them during the remaining two years that I was there attending grad school.

I have not had another experience with any retail store like the one I had with Champagne Audio, although I had upgraded my two systems many times since I graduated......It's a disease. I think the owner of Champagne Audio is a finance or economic professor in the Business School.

Nov 3, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #74 of 112
Just got my MS-1's....WOW!! I'm very satisfied with this pair of headphones and they haven't been broken-in yet. I can't wait to bring these to the meet and try different amps. Thanx head-fi for the great recommendation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #75 of 112
Ok, it looks like the 21st of November is a go. This will probably work out better for parking since it's during Thanksgiving break though we'll unfortunately lose ProParadox and nleahcim. I hope the fact that Blue_Onion and aaroncort being able to meet Ray Samuels and company will help offset this (and Strohmie too hopefully... actually, I don't think he's made it to a Chicago meet before). I'll compile a list of people who'll be coming but Ray said only death will stop him (so please hold off on any hits till after the meet) and he'll try to drag some other poor saps with him as well. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone and to those who won't make the new date I'm sure there be another meet soon after that you'll be able to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back