UPS came by today...
Mar 24, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #46 of 65
So basically the Stax is slightly quicker and more precise while sounding a bit thin and cold. The HP-1 isn't as quick but sounds lush and full. Is that the gist of it? One person (Acidtripwow) replied saying the T1 amp added the lushness that was missing from your Stax system. I suspect that can be applied more generally and that if lushness is sought, any of Stax' tube amps may be more suited. Yet another reason not to start out below the Classic II if I get a Stax.

So Hirsch, you do like the HP-1 on the microZOTL more than on the Melos, right? Or are you still tube tweaking to make that determination?

Mar 24, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

So basically the Stax is slightly quicker and more precise while sounding a bit thin and cold. The HP-1 isn't as quick but sounds lush and full.

Yes, and I also think the Stax had better treble than the HP-2 (not HP-1) and had a larger soundstage. Also it was more comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I suspect that can be applied more generally and that if lushness is sought, any of Stax' tube amps may be more suited. Yet another reason not to start out below the Classic II if I get a Stax.

I think you mean the Signature II -- that's the first system that comes with a tube amp.

Mar 24, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso
Please keep in mind that shivohum used Stax gear from around 1989 comparision. Stax has improved their products significantly since then. If he feels the old Stax gear he owns is good, the new Stax series should be awesome in comparision, I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

TEAM STAX
very_evil_smiley.gif

Keiso, this is the wrong thread for that generalization.
smily_headphones1.gif

While it may be the case that new Stax is better than old Stax (I've heard that before), most people in this thread would argue that old Grado is better than new Grado. So new isn't necessarily better.

Mar 24, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum

I think you mean the Signature II -- that's the first system that comes with a tube amp.

Doh. I was thinking you got a choice with Classic II and above. Looking at the site, I guess only Omega II gives you a choice.

Basic II (2020) = SR-202 + SRM-212 (solid state) $470 (import)
Classic II (3030) = SR-303 + SRM-313 (solid state) $800 (import)
Signature II (4040) = SR-404 + SRM-006t (tube) $1300 (import)
Omega II = SR-007 + SR-717 (solid state) OR SR-007t (tube) $3380 (import)

Grado HP-1 ~$600-800 (used, domestic)
Berning microZOTL $750 ("factory" direct)
Melos SHA-1 ~$600 (used, domestic)

So for what those of us in the know can purchase, ZOTL/HP-1 is comparably priced to the Signature II so this really is where we should be comparing. (Note: This is also really close to the price of a MOHR, HD600 and Cardas cable just as a point of reference).

Mar 24, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

While it may be the case that new Stax is better than old Stax (I've heard that before), most people in this thread would argue that old Grado is better than new Grado. So new isn't necessarily better.

*SHMACK* It is in this case with Staxs.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just about every truly in depth review on the Staxs say that their new amps sound better than their old amps, and that their new headphones sound smoother than their older headphones.

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #53 of 65
Kelly, I spent some time listening to the Stax Signature system (as well as a couple of their less expensive systems at a local dealer). While I was reasonably impressed, I was not impressed enough to buy them. I agree there is a slight thinness to the sound, as well as a lack of dynamic impact - the Grados walk all over the Stax's in this respect. What you get from Stax is a kind of shimmering sense of detail - this may be what a lot of people are looking for, but not me. I want solidity and punchiness, combined with tonal accuracy, and this means I prefer dynamic headphones over electrostats. Also, the more expensive Stax's use tube amps, and as I've made clear elsewhere, I'm not a big tube fan - I prefer solid state - and the solid state Stax's didn't cut it for me.

I also have to add that the local dealer currently has a four month old set of Stax Omegas on sale for the equivalent of US$2750 - I'm resisting the temptation to go and listen to them.

Yes, the HP-1000s are rare and expensive - and you not only have to find some HP-1 or HP-2s (and I suspect the latter would sound marginally better than the former, because of the absence of the polarity switch), you have to find them in excellent condition, with flat pads and with the reference cable. On top of that, maybe you will find them uncomfortable - they are much less comfortable than Stax, Sennheisers or Beyers. Even less comfortable than the current Grados, because they are heavier and stiffer. But, gee, that sound quality more than compensates for all of this. All I can suggest is that you find someone with a pair, or who will lend you a pair, and take a listen.

Ross

Mar 24, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Ross
Yes, the HP-1000s are rare and expensive - and you not only have to find some HP-1 or HP-2s (and I suspect the latter would sound marginally better than the former, because of the absence of the polarity switch)

Don't underestimate that polarity switch. There are some recordings that actually come to life when the polarity is changed, and others where it makes absolutely no difference. Interestingly, the Berning Micro-ZOTL and Grado RA-1 appear to output opposite polarities when hooked to the same source. Also interesting is just how well the RA-1 holds up in that head-to-head comparison.

Mar 24, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Don't underestimate that polarity switch. There are some recordings that actually come to life when the polarity is changed, and others where it makes absolutely no difference.

Hirsch, I have found this to be true as well. Unfortunately, I usually forget the switches are there, so they remain in one position.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #56 of 65
I'm sure you're right about the polarity issue, but there are a couple of factors here.

One is that the switch itself will marginally affect sound quality; whether this outweighs the benefits of correct polarity I can't answer.

The other is that, while many recordings do have reverse polarity, I always found that figuring out which way was better was not that easy. When I owned a Meridian 508.24, which had the ability to invert phase at the source, I used to switch polarity one way or another through most recordings, and although I could hear a small difference each time, I could never figure out which was "correct". It was a great relief when I swapped the Meridian for a Naim CD player which did not invert polarity, since that removed another annoying variable to worry about (on top of components and cables).

Maybe you guys aren't as anal about these things as I am, but that polarity switch would drive me crazy ...

Ross

Mar 24, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #57 of 65
Is there not a way to alorgythmically determine phase and do this automatically at the source or preamp level?

Mar 24, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #59 of 65
Yes, agreed. I use my HP-2s with the MOH (old version) and the sound is just amazing.

(I'm now working up the courage (and the cash) to order a Max with reference module and stepped attenuators.)

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back