Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #348 of 3,931
Has UM upgraded its printing machine? I heard something about it some pages back.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #349 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has UM upgraded its printing machine? I heard something about it some pages back.

Nope, not yet.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #351 of 3,931
Does Unique Melody tune the drivers on the triplefi to suit the custom ear molds? or do they just do a reshell and change nothing?

I just had a talk with Jerry Harvey of JH audio. He invented the Triple.Fi. He told me by getting the triplefi reshelled into a custom mold, that it would require tuning, because he designed it specifically for the length of something (i can't remember). -maybe the tubes? anyway, he said when I get this custom remold done, I may very well lose those highs and sound signature that I love. I'm freaking out a bit, and I'm heading over to the place that has my triplefi's.

I will comment on my experience with JH-13 and JH audio later. I'm in a rush. If anyone could please answer my question, quickly! Thanks!

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #352 of 3,931
Been conversing with Sam and contrary to earlier posts he has responded to my e-mails within 24 hours on 3 occasions. So far I am well please with the communication. I've decided that I'm going for two sets of remolds........

My JH13's as I've never been 100% with the fit or the finish :frowning2: and for fun either my Q-jays possibly with an extra driver or my W3's. I'm just waiting for Sam to come back to me to let me know if he can supply Westone ES cables to go with. If not I'll get them from Freq City for $43 each.

May stay away from the artwork though untill I see some better examples.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #353 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Unique Melody tune the drivers on the triplefi to suit the custom ear molds? or do they just do a reshell and change nothing?

I just had a talk with Jerry Harvey of JH audio. He invented the Triple.Fi. He told me by getting the triplefi reshelled into a custom mold, that it would require tuning, because he designed it specifically for the length of something (i can't remember). -maybe the tubes? anyway, he said when I get this custom remold done, I may very well lose those highs and sound signature that I love. I'm freaking out a bit, and I'm heading over to the place that has my triplefi's.

The drivers and crossovers stay exactly the same I believe. But I think they tune the molds for the drivers. They run frequency response plots, and if things are way off, they'll make adjustments to the placement of the drivers, or the size of the tubes etc. They seem to really know what they are doing. And they've done the TripleFi's before. I wouldn't worry too much.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #354 of 3,931
^^ i agree with barley guy, i'm sure they are familiar with this.

Hehe, finally got my ES3x back =)

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #355 of 3,931
Looking for comfort.....

Does anyone have experience with remolded Q-jays and/or W3s? Preferably without an extra driver. My JH13's are ready to be packaged up and I wanted one of these done for fun at the same time but don't want to lose the signature of either. would be great if someone could comment. I don't really want to stretch to another driver on the q-jays if I don't have to...

Also there doesn't seem to be that many photos around. I was specifically disappointed with the 'Tip' finish of my JH13's (very poor finish) so was looking for a little comfort that UM finishes these properly. My JH13's had odd length tubes on the left earpiece and generally didn't look like something that just cost me $1100.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #356 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone go over the difference between the UE11 and the ES3 cable? I'm stuck on cable choice and have never seen these cables in person. Any suggestions - DIY vs the other options?

apparently the ue custom cable has a longer piece of plastic as it comes out of the socket while the es3 custom cable has a shorter piece of plastic. at least that's what i heard
beyersmile.png
Hope it helps!

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #357 of 3,931
The pins, connectors and memory wire are different. The pins on the ES is slight longer and thicker, the connector's Plastic (Like Time said) is different. The UE's is larger, and has a ridge that is designed to be recessed into the monitor, but if your wards aren't big enough to have the socket be partially in the monitor (like me), then it just sticks out and it mighty ugly. Memory wire is longer on the UE, i myself find it a hassle. I prefer the Westone ES Cable.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #358 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pins, connectors and memory wire are different. The pins on the ES is slight longer and thicker, the connector's Plastic (Like Time said) is different. The UE's is larger, and has a ridge that is designed to be recessed into the monitor, but if your wards aren't big enough to have the socket be partially in the monitor (like me), then it just sticks out and it mighty ugly. Memory wire is longer on the UE, i myself find it a hassle. I prefer the Westone ES Cable.

That's good to know as I've ordered 2 from Frequency City in Black to go with my Purple JH13's that UM are remolding for me. Sent off today with my new impressions. What are the timescales once they get your impressions & phones?

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #359 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to know as I've ordered 2 from Frequency City in Black to go with my Purple JH13's that UM are remolding for me. Sent off today with my new impressions. What are the timescales once they get your impressions & phones?

Remold takes about a week (two if busy), shipping is about two days back.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #360 of 3,931
Thanks Felix.

I've chickened out of having the Q-jays done also as I think they would really need another driver to sound decent remoulded, something to do with an air chamber in the original phones that helps with the bass that would obviously be missing if remoulded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back