Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jun 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #961 of 2,701
I have the HFI 780 vinyl pads. They fit on the SIG PRO/DJ, but they sound much different than the leather pads, even though they are comfy.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #962 of 2,701
Well I finally broke down and bought the Sig DJ's and wow, you guys were right.  These things are amazing.  The earcups are definitely good sized and don't hurt my ears like the UE6000 did or really most other closed headphones (except Beyers of course, those things are huge).  The sound isolation/leakage is excellent too, they are perfect for the office.

As for the sound, I am pretty impressed so far.  The sub and mid bass quantity seems to be about on par with my IE8's, which is what I wanted.  The midrange is a bit more forward than the IE8's though and definitely more detailed overall.  How long have you guys found burn-in to take and what changes did you notice, if any?     

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #963 of 2,701
I got the Sig DJ's and hated them at first. I'd say break-in greatly improved the sound after 100-150 hours. Now they are a favorite. Great sound, easy to drive, comfortable enough. Bass, highs, soundstage, clarity and imaging all improve noticeably (at least that is what I heard). Enjoy!

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #964 of 2,701
Has anyone ever heard a "twang" sound from their sig DJ's or any pair of headphones? I had mine playing some music off to the side while I was eating and during a song there this was fairly loud twang sound like something physically happened to the driver or something. The headphones seem fine but I was just curious if anyone had any idea what that could be.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #965 of 2,701
I feel that you really become picky about mastering with these. Good mastering brings out their full potential.

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #966 of 2,701
Has anyone ever heard a "twang" sound from their sig DJ's or any pair of headphones? I had mine playing some music off to the side while I was eating and during a song there this was fairly loud twang sound like something physically happened to the driver or something. The headphones seem fine but I was just curious if anyone had any idea what that could be.

So you used them as loudspeakers on a fairly high volume? I hope that you did not damage the driver membrane.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #967 of 2,701
No, I did not have them that loud.  Just a bit over normal listening volume.  This noise I heard did not sound like something the driver made.  Is there something metal within the headphones that could have moved and would make a fairly high-pitched twang sound?  I am not sure of what all the internal components are. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #968 of 2,701
Each cup has a MU-metal bufferboard. If this board was under some tension, it could create such sound when the tension gets relived. But mine did not do this up to now. Anyways as long as they sound good and do not show any ratteling noise from loose parts, you should be fine.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #970 of 2,701
Has anyone tried the Audioquest dragonfly or meridian Explorer DACS with the Sigs?

How about the JDS Labs C5?

Looking for reccomendations of DACs and amps, preferably portable.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #971 of 2,701
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Audioquest dragonfly or meridian Explorer DACS with the Sigs?

If You wait a few days I will be able to give you my opinion about hrt microStreamer /Sig Pro combo.  
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #972 of 2,701
Quote:

I have the V-Moda Verza and it is a stellar combination with the Sig DJ.  The bass boost on Verza with the Sig DJ is EDM nirvana.  For most other genres, I don't use bass boost or any EQ.  The sound is detailed and open with sound I would compare to capable floor-standing loudspeakers.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #973 of 2,701
I've heard good things about the Verza, but it seems I could buy a portable DAC and portable amp separately, both with good quality, for less than the Verza.

I like the idea of them being separate because I can upgrade individually in the future, if I'm so inclined.

At first I had my mind set on Fiio E17, but maybe I can spend a bit more on two separate devices, if the results are worth it.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #974 of 2,701
Quote:
I've heard good things about the Verza, but it seems I could buy a portable DAC and portable amp separately, both with good quality, for less than the Verza.

I like the idea of them being separate because I can upgrade individually in the future, if I'm so inclined.

At first I had my mind set on Fiio E17, but maybe I can spend a bit more on two separate devices, if the results are worth it.

The added portability of both in one, along with battery backup and the on-board DAC bypass for Iphone and Android really makes Verza stand out from heavier, bulkier options.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #975 of 2,701
Quote:

E17 is okay, but it isn't extraordinary. I haven't tried a whole lot of other options, but my Aune T1 definitely has a wider soundstage, and I definitely prefer it because of that. The E17 does have a bit cleaner sound, though, just narrower. I might upgrade my tube sometime soon to see if that helps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back