Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,741 of 2,701
Good point there that I totally forgot about and why I probably won't order the SubPac S1 because I can't sit still when enjoying some hardstyle especially, it makes me "move/dance" like no other genre (people wonder what's wrong with me when they see me :p). So not really that helpful. The SubPac M1 model again for portable use seems like too much of a hazzle to put on and I'd prefer something that can be powered with an adapter rather than batteries, I want something that I can easily and quickly put on whenever I sit down at my computer. Will keep an eye on that upcoming product.

Jul 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,742 of 2,701
I have read some people say the DJs have recessed mids, but it begs the question, compared to what?

You definitely need that context. The DJs are not recessed when you come from Denon, or even from other ultrasones. That's coming from TWerk's impressions as well as my own. I own the denon D1000.

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #1,743 of 2,701
  I have read some people say the DJs have recessed mids, but it begs the question, compared to what?

You definitely need that context. The DJs are not recessed when you come from Denon, or even from other ultrasones. That's coming from TWerk's impressions as well as my own. I own the denon D1000.

Yea, that's also a really good point. He probably means compared to a completely flat headphone. I'm not sure what that metric headphone would be. Like HD800?

I mean, I think we can all agree that PRO 900 has recessed mids, because it sounds like it does.

But coming from PRO 900, Denon mids do not even sound recessed. Just sounds like sub bass is enhanced over Pro 900. The D5000 especially has a lot of sub bass.

Because I am so used to recessed mids, headphones with forward mids just sound off, I guess. I found SIG DJ to have too forward mids for my (mid recessed) tastes.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,744 of 2,701
Well, I finally got my Signature DJ's yesterday! It was actually brand new and still shrink wrapped in the box! Well pleased since I paid 590 EUR instead of 730 EUR. I do love living in Germany. 
biggrin.gif

While the bass is great it's actually other qualities compared with my Shure 1540 I am noticing. Goth Metal sounds so much better with the Ultrasone.  I'll be selling the Shure 1540 no doubt. More detailed impressions to come.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,745 of 2,701
  Well, I finally got my Signature DJ's yesterday! It was actually brand new and still shrink wrapped in the box! Well pleased since I paid 590 EUR instead of 730 EUR. I do love living in Germany. 
biggrin.gif

While the bass is great it's actually other qualities compared with my Shure 1540 I am noticing. Goth Metal sounds so much better with the Ultrasone.  I'll be selling the Shure 1540 no doubt. More detailed impressions to come.

How do you find the balance versus the 1540? Is it noticeable brighter sounding? The 1540 from measurements + comments seem to be fairly even/natural timbre wise (the smallest imaginable highs veil up top) so it's a good comparison for me. :p

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,746 of 2,701

How do you find the balance versus the 1540? Is it noticeable brighter sounding? The 1540 from measurements + comments seem to be fairly even/natural timbre wise (the smallest imaginable highs veil up top) so it's a good comparison for me. :p

Definitely. That's what I noticed straight away. The Sig DJ is brighter, has more detailed treble, just sounds so damn clear, it's great. The 1540 sounds veiled in comparison and more dark/laid back. Guitars sound so much better with Sig DJ, clear, forward, detailed. Now, I have an issue with the T5p's treble, it fatigues my ears rather quick; the Sig DJ has no treble spike that hurts me and that's a revelation since the treble is detailed and crisp clear while being smooth.

I've been looking for a full size DT1350 and the Sig DJ is it. I've had the HFI-780 twice (headband issues), Pro900 (treble spike kills it), Edition8 (digital/artificial sounding); Ultrasone has nailed it with the Sig DJ sound, they really have.

Believe the hype, it's damn real lol
tongue.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,747 of 2,701
It's good that you brought up the SubPac, I've actually looked at it once earlier, but it's starting to get more and more interesting. I think for me it probably would be a good investment, the S1 that I put in my computer chair that can be run with adapter. I don't think it would help me a lot further than what my setup already brings but it may give a slightly further accurate judgement, kinda like using a spectrum analyzer plugin to see at which levels the frequencies are at but this would give me it in form of vibrations. Also I think I might actually enjoy gaming with it (I don't watch so many movies but I imagine that being more immersive too). For me feeling the bass has always giving me an additional level of satisfaction. I really should consider it, thanks for bringing it up, I've nearly forgot about it. I see they also allow up to 30 days money back and they even pay back any shipping costs (fortunately for them shipping from Finland to US would probably be like $40)! 

The headphones that I think comes closest would be:

- Ultrasone Signature DJ -- my concern is the mids vs highs balance, I have a feel the mids aren't up-front enough, there's both a measurement + some experienced user review suggesting the mids are slightly bit recessed, not much but it's not quite in-level with the highs). Although the rest seems good, the soundstaging may not offer a big upgrade from my Q40, but I'd expect some. The design is to my taste, it's more simple, industrial look, it clamps hard enough (I prefer a reasonably tight clamp) and the bass looks spot-on for my needs.

- Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI -- The timbre (mids/highs balance) is praised to death, it seems very natural what I'm looking for. It's a well balanced, clear sound but it doesn't seem to have quite the bass quantity I look for but it seems to have that punchiness I'm looking for but the bass quantity seems to be close to neutral from how users compare it to their other headphones, I want roughly 8~10dB or so boost peaking ideally around 80Hz and rolling off a bit down deep and in the upper end past 150Hz or so (it also helps to get the bass impactful/punchy and fast). :p 

- Dido Perfect Sound D901 -- Actually might be slightly north of the bass quantity I look for, people's description/reviews have me picturing a boost past 10dB, some people have guessed it may well be like 13-15dB even, this is an extreme basshead can even if it's roughly at the price of a Ultrasone Signature DJ. The mids and highs do seem like "decent" not the best detail/resolution out there especially for the price (there's been a "tour" that gelocks sent his pair for others to try). I'd still imagine it comes quite close, a little bit too bassy and maybe not the ideal detail retrieval but another problem would be the low clamping force and creaking noise the metal headband does which I don't think I could withstand, especially for my headbanging/nodding needs. :p

Shure 1540 -- Great timbre / mids vs highs balance, very even with not huge varieties throughout the entire range. However the bass is slightly bit too subbass skewed peaking at 50Hz when I'd need it more closer to 80Hz.

Audio Technica ATH-WS99 -- I think mids and highs should be quite to my liking, they seem to have a quite neutral tonality and particularly good midrange from all the user reviews I've read but the bass is not quite as strong as I'd need when people compare them against other headphones I've got/tested.

M-Audio Q40? -- I have a feeling these $120 phones may actually already be the holy grail for me. The only aspects I find there's pretty large room for improvements would be soundstaging and highs extension. The soundstaging is particularly important for my gaming needs. The Q40 have decent imaging though, not great but not bad but the soundstage is pretty narrow, a bit better depth perception than width possibly but yea I'd especially want a bit more width. The highs also start rolling off sharply already above 14kHz so this headphones lack "airiness" bigtime. But there's so many things I like about them, the mids vs highs balance, the bass response quantity & quality, the subbass vs midbass balance, the not ideal punchiness but decent amount punch still. The highs also have more of a soft than rough character and I find this softer character more natural sounding and I can't spot any annoying upper-mid frequency resonance peaks like I sometimes do in other headphones around the 3-4kHz range especially.

Then I'm constantly on the lookout for new ones, one particular headphone would be the new Focal Spirit One "S" which is advertised as a "bass boosted" but even mids/highs for "on-the-go" use. They have used same structure and secrets from the Focal Spirit Pro/classic for this new model but it's cheaper than those and it's probably more meant to be an improved Focal Spirit One than an "on-the-go" Focal Spirit Pro/Classic so not having too high hopes due to the 179€ pricetag (probably $219 or something the US). 

Serious question- what was the last headphone you've actually tried since getting your Q40?

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,748 of 2,701
Serious question- what was the last headphone you've actually tried since getting your Q40?

It was the Yamaha MT220 some months ago but it was slightly too bright and grainy and rough in the highs for my tastes and slightly bit too bloated and uncontrolled subbass that didn't have the punchiness I'm looking for. Reason I haven't tested out more is obviously since I think Q40 is nearly perfect for me and I get such a great feedback from my mastering, the only times I plan to pick up a headphone when both measurements + user comments fits to my tastes. 

The more user feedback I can dig out of threads the more accurate picture I get of it so that's why I can keep following threads for a while of headphones that comes close to what I'm looking for.

I've also thought about getting a hardware EQ but I can't find a good alternative without weird connectivity for headphones and hooking up the the analog connectivity on a hardware EQ will result in slightly colored sound from the processing of the EQ (even the beloved Behringer DEQ4096's isn't that clean out of the analog circuitry). As for Ultrasone Signature DJ I do have in mind some simple modding that may work in case I find it slightly too bright for my taste, applying an extra layer of cloth (for example tights)/foam over the earcups may tame out the treble slightly bit like speaker foams usually do to give it a smoother response.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,749 of 2,701
I can comment on the djs soundstage vs the q40s, i have heard from many comparisons between the q40s and hfi 580s that the hfi 580s had a bit more soundstage (unless you mod the q40, giving them a similar soundstage). The 580s had an artificial sounding soundstage that was "ok". The signature djs have a wonderful soundstage, very impressive imaging and size. I would say 5x the size of the hfi 580s.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #1,750 of 2,701
Hey, I'm pretty amazed - I thought the Q40 was like "summit-fi" kinda money, but they actually sell in the UK for the price of a family size bucket of KFC!

Should be landing with me middle of next week if not sooner and I'll be putting them through the bass/paper test on HBB's extreme bass club thread if anyone's interested.

The Sig DJ's didn't fare too well on the test but I guess that's as HBB pointed out, ULTRASONE's S-LOGIC by design inhibits bass "slam" as a protective measure.

"S-LOGIC™ does not only create a Natural Surround Sound sensation, it simultaneously allows a reduction of sound pressure levels to the eardrum by up to 40% (3 - 4 dB). This can reduce the risk of hearing damage while ensuring hours of fatigue-free listening."

But the Q40 don't employ S-Logic equivalent - as far as I know, so should be interesting to see how these bargain basement puppies fare?

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,751 of 2,701
Hey, I'm pretty amazed - I thought the Q40 was like "summit-fi" kinda money, but they actually sell in the UK for the price of a family size bucket of KFC!

Should be landing with me middle of next week if not sooner and I'll be putting them through the bass/paper test on HBB's extreme bass club thread if anyone's interested.

The Sig DJ's didn't fare too well on the test but I guess that's as HBB pointed out, ULTRASONE's S-LOGIC by design inhibits bass "slam" as a protective measure.

"S-LOGIC™ does not only create a Natural Surround Sound sensation, it simultaneously allows a reduction of sound pressure levels to the eardrum by up to 40% (3 - 4 dB). This can reduce the risk of hearing damage while ensuring hours of fatigue-free listening."

But the Q40 don't employ S-Logic equivalent - as far as I know, so should be interesting to see how these bargain basement puppies fare?

Im pretty sure the slogic has nothing to do with the bass impact, the bass impact to amount ratio is amazing on them. Then again, coming from hbb... Lol

But im sure rpg wizard would love a comparison of treble and mids between them :)

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,753 of 2,701
Im pretty sure the slogic has nothing to do with the bass impact, the bass impact to amount ratio is amazing on them. Then again, coming from hbb... Lol

But im sure rpg wizard would love a comparison of treble and mids between them :)

+1 Ultrasones have the best bass impact of any headphone I've tried. They hit hard.

ULTRASONE Signature DJ
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/3dYk1frSPgo[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

[COLOR=FF00AA]
Sig DJ's are one of my favourite cans I own, but when it comes to the bass/paper test - just compare the above with the below - and results speak for themselves[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Vibe BLACKDEATH[/COLOR]​
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/XQfGe3fR55g[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,754 of 2,701
The paper test doesn't show the punchiness though. It only measures share bass quantities (and it's not that accurate as distance, the positioning/angle of the cup towards the paper all play a role and this is more like "roughly" setup equally), not every1 are in it for the bass quantity, huge bass quantity doesn't necessarily equal to good punchiness. XB700 for example has 15dB subbass boost but the punchiness/impact is low.

That was the point TWek pointed out that Ultrasones do well, they provide a sense of impact/punch in the bass which is seen in the 30Hz square measurement.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,755 of 2,701
  The paper test doesn't show the punchiness though. It only measures share bass quantities (and it's not that accurate as distance, the positioning/angle of the cup towards the paper all play a role and this is more like "roughly" setup equally), not every1 are in it for the bass quantity, huge bass quantity doesn't necessarily equal to good punchiness. XB700 for example has 15dB subbass boost but the punchiness/impact is low.

That was the point TWek pointed out that Ultrasones do well, they provide a sense of impact/punch in the bass which is seen in the 30Hz square measurement.

So....that I'm clear
(Cuz I'm confused)....the guy who took those vids owns those cans.
Owns lots of cans.
Puts them on his head and listens to them.
He's saying something about the bass and showing something that matches his on head impressions.

You're talking about square waves.
Saying "punchiness" which for the non audiophile...and me too, seems to imply a feeling you might get on your head....a punch.

(and it's not that accurate as distance, the positioning/angle of the cup towards the paper all play a role and this is more like "roughly" setup equally),

He paid a lot for those cans. in what way would he feel better about his self proclaimed favorite pair not punching that paper with authority in all it's awesome glory?

This is set to play a pad falling down and not having much effect. 10 seconds is all you need to see it.

So a guy who owns both cans.
Loves one.....(Sig DJ) a lot.
Uses an identical track
an identical set of hardware DAP> AMP> Settings of both> 1/2 an A4 piece of paper. Probably the same piece.

Not seen it done with the Sig DJ anywhere on the internet ever.....ever. And your critique is paper position?  My vid shows that is not gonna stop the bass.

I'm gonna go...you'll be happy to know. Anyone with the pro 900 who would like to take as much time as you want with a 1/2 A4 is welcome.  Encouraged. I'm a basshead. My image of Punchiness is possibly incomplete so it would benefit me to show me so I can pass it along to the folks hunting for bass of all kinds including punchy.

Sloomingbla

I put you on my ignore list a while back and just expanded your post to find a "lol" directed at me.
Taking shots at fellow Head-Fi users directly or indirectly is against the spirit definitely and likely the rules of this forum. Please refrain from being insulting to a fellow headfier who directs no such insults to you.
This is about hardware and audio.

My post for RPG is over a disagreement about audio. Nothing personal whatsoever. 

I'm out. I will not return or respond outta respect for this thread which is for the owners and admirers of the Ultrasone Signature DJ's

Very nice, very beautiful cans with a nice low end response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back