Ultrasone Proline 750 Vs Sennheiser HD600: A Comparative Review
Jul 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #76 of 104
maybe what they meant by thicker pads is the actual material (ex. a thicker leather vs a thin pleather, etc...) being a thicker sturdier one but the whole thing having the same dimensions. I can definitely see that as having the same sound if that were the case.

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #77 of 104
Well well well. So for sure let's take ultrapaul at his word that the pads are the same, therefore we must conclude that the statement to the contrary on the web (from the former US Distributor) and the statement to the contrary from the Australian rep were wrong. OK, these two sources are not official Ultrasone. But reps don't make things up (why would they?), so my bet -- I am convinced -- is that there was a communication from Ultrasone to its reps that was in error. After all -- think logically -- the idea that the pads are thicker had to start somewhere. It is clear to me that the Ultrasone people here in the U.S. don't know if this is true or false; you make your own conclusion. I for one feel misled -- as a poster here suggested, but for this statement we could have bought old stock and saved money.

Or donunus could be right -- a change in the thickness -- luxury -- with no effect on SQ. That would make me feel better! But we have no confirmation of this. Moving on ...

ultrapaul also says the headband change is the logo only, i.e. ink.

Then the only changes are the logo and new case? Nope -- on the current (real, factory) Ultrasone web site it also says the aluminum plates on the ends of the cups are new. I could, but I won't, point out that plates glued to the ends of cups changes the resonance frequency of the chambers, and therefore the SQ, but I refuse to make that statement :) .

Ultrasone makes fantastic headphones, and now we have a person who will answer questions. This is wonderful.

ultrapaul -- I just sent you a PM with a question regarding the newton value for the PRO 750's vs Ed9. Thanks in advance!

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #78 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone makes fantastic headphones, and now we have a person who will answer questions. This is wonderful.

ultrapaul -- I just sent you a PM with a question regarding the newton value for the PRO 750's vs Ed9. Thanks in advance!

I dont know if he's gone so far as to volunteer to be our Q&A guy just yet wavoman
wink.gif

It would be nice if an Ultrasone rep took more activity in these forums though. Its always nice to see a manufacturer willing to back up their products and share their knowledge with their fans.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #79 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds fine to me. And now, back to listening to......................
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, before I do. I measured the pads on a new PRO and a new Proline 750 (have only one here for demo purposes, sorry). 15/16 of an inch, for both. And yes, I even checked the spare pads to make sure that it wasn't a fluke.

Hope I was able to help.

Signed,

Brandy, Paul and Mary (that sounds familiar................
rolleyes.gif
)

Thank you very much for the information and for your efforts on our behalf.

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #80 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know if he's gone so far as to volunteer to be our Q&A guy just yet wavoman
wink.gif

It would be nice if an Ultrasone rep took more activity in these forums though. Its always nice to see a manufacturer willing to back up their products and share their knowledge with their fans.

We are here, and will do our best to answer any and all questions that you have. I've also been in direct contact with Jude and we are going to be a sponsor here.

The wheel is already rolling.

As I'm sure all of you understand, there is a business to run. WE will do our best to answer all of your questions as quickly as we possibly can. Once things are running correctly, you can post your questions in the new Ultrasone forum and we'll post the appropriate answers there also.

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #81 of 104
Covenant have you A/B'd your proline 750's with a stock (new version) hd650? I've never compared the 750/780 to the hd600/650 but I heard them all on different setups and locations :"-\

If my memory is okay... the 650 is more akin to the Ultrasone sound than the hd600 :"-/

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #82 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
their angled drivers are trying to recreate a speaker-like presentation from headphones.

I didn't know the Ultrasone drivers are angled. I thought they were only offset from center.

Didn't think the enclosures were deep enough for angled drivers (ala Audio-Technica).

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #83 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know the Ultrasone drivers are angled. I thought they were only offset from center.

Didn't think the enclosures were deep enough for angled drivers (ala Audio-Technica).

Yup. They arent angled at all, they are offset. Instead of drivers being in center, they are placed in the forward-bottom portion of the cups.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #84 of 104
We need to better define our terms here regarding angled vs. non-angled. What I am referring to here is the idea that while the drivers may not be angled within their own individual "sockets" (Is that the right word for where they are placed?), they are, however, most definitely at an angle from the ear canal (as opposed to being directly "in front" of the ear canal). Whether or not the driver's are angled within their sockets (tilted) or only angled in the sense of being "at an angle" in respect to the location of the ear canal, Covenant's comment about the drivers being angled in the Pro 750 is not exclusive to him. I have seen comments in other places referring to the idea of "angled drivers" in Ultrasone headphones. One example is:
[size=xx-small]"Well, by tilting the driver at an angle to your ear instead of driving sound waves directly at your poor little eardrums..." [/size]
This comment, as just one example, is found in this review of the HFI 580:
REVIEW: Ultrasone HFI-580 Natural Surround Sound Headphones | Zoom In Online
[size=xx-small]So, that leaves us with another question for our faithful Ultrasone representative, UltraPaul: Are the drivers in Ultrasone headphones tilted or are they "sitting flat" within their sockets and when Ultrasone refers to "angled drivers" are they only referring to the idea that the drivers are at an angle in respect to the location of the ear canal or are they referring to actual tilted drivers (within their individual sockets) and the fact that the drivers are "at an angle" in respect to the location of the ear canal?[/size]

EDIT: I sent a PM to Ultrapaul letting him know about this question and he responded saying that he would answer after the weekend.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #85 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Covenant have you A/B'd your proline 750's with a stock (new version) hd650?

If my memory is okay... the 650 is more akin to the Ultrasone sound than the hd600 :"-/

No, I havent. But I did get to hear a 'new version' HD650 recently at the last Sydney meet, and I wouldnt say that it was more akin to the Ultrasone sound at all, judging by memory.

They sounded slightly weightier, perhaps even a tad more refined on attacks and resolution, but they also seemed slightly unbalanced, and lacking some of HD600's musicality. I could see how they could scale better, as I seemed to hear hints of what the headphone was capable of through my Pico, but with just the Pico as source/amp the HD600 was my preference.

If the HD650 and Pro 750 were dancers, the Senns would be a Bond-esque guy in a suit doing the waltz, while the Pro 750's would be a latino tap dancer, with steel-capped boots. Think "boot men" if you've ever seen the film
tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Yup. They arent angled at all, they are offset. Instead of drivers being in center, they are placed in the forward-bottom portion of the cups.

I stand corrected. I get my terminology mixed up at times
smily_headphones1.gif

Whatever the drivers are doing, I like it. The more I listen to the Pro 750 the less inclined I am to switch back to my HD600. What's worse is, with my tax return in the works, I have to resist the temptation of the Edition 9...
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #86 of 104
Quote:

So, that leaves us with another question for our faithful Ultrasone representative, UltraPaul: Are the drivers in Ultrasone headphones tilted or are they "sitting flat" within their sockets and when Ultrasone refers to "angled drivers" are they only referring to the idea that the drivers are at an angle in respect to the location of the ear canal or are they referring to actual tilted drivers (within their individual sockets) and the fact that the drivers are "at an angle" in respect to the location of the ear canal?

No need. I have openend my PL750 couple of times, and they look like they arent angled at all.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #87 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need to better define our terms here regarding angled vs. non-angled. What I am referring to here is the idea that while the drivers may not be angled within their own individual "sockets" (Is that the right word for where they are placed?), they are, however, most definitely at an angle from the ear canal (as opposed to being directly "in front" of the ear canal). Whether or not the driver's are angled within their sockets (tilted) or only angled in the sense of being "at an angle" in respect to the location of the ear canal, Covenant's comment about the drivers being angled in the Pro 750 is not exclusive to him. I have seen comments in other places referring to the idea of "angled drivers" in Ultrasone headphones. One example is:
[size=xx-small]"Well, by tilting the driver at an angle to your ear instead of driving sound waves directly at your poor little eardrums..." [/size]
This comment, as just one example, is found in this review of the HFI 580:
REVIEW: Ultrasone HFI-580 Natural Surround Sound Headphones | Zoom In Online
[size=xx-small]So, that leaves us with another question for our faithful Ultrasone representative, UltraPaul: Are the drivers in Ultrasone headphones tilted or are they "sitting flat" within their sockets and when Ultrasone refers to "angled drivers" are they only referring to the idea that the drivers are at an angle in respect to the location of the ear canal or are they referring to actual tilted drivers (within their individual sockets) and the fact that the drivers are "at an angle" in respect to the location of the ear canal?[/size]

EDIT: I sent a PM to Ultrapaul letting him know about this question and he responded saying that he would answer after the weekend.

Answer:

The drivers are offset and sit straight (flat) in the ear cup.

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #88 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need. I have openend my PL750 couple of times, and they look like they arent angled at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Answer:

The drivers are offset and sit straight (flat) in the ear cup.

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, there you go: The official word from Ultrasone rep, Ultrapaul and a validation from MaZa. What more could you ask?
Thanks very much to both of you for the answers.

[size=xx-small]Another question for Ultrapaul:[/size] Regarding the idea of headphones being "flat" (accurate), how are the Pro 750's and the Ed 9's rated? I find the Pro 750's to be accurate when compared to the sound of studio monitors, but that is only my subjective opinion based on how I hear. I know this is a simple sounding question that probably requires an advanced degree in a certain aspect of sound engineering to answer but I would be interested in reading your answer to this question (especially if you can arrange to have Florian Konig contribute to the answer).

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #89 of 104
Well, as it has been discussed here as well I'll post my findings here too.
The old Proline pads are NOT the same as the newer ones (at least mine are not):

nr4694ud1.jpg

I just spend maybe an hour comparing the pads which is quite a hassle with the continuous swopping.

Well, I wish I was drunk but I'm not...the difference is not subtle. The bass with the old ones is far more prominent than with the newer ones. Gives way more body to the music.
As you can see from the "specs" the outer size is smaller with the newer ones and therefor it seals the cup less. By that I mean is that you can see the ring it clicks in. You can't see that with the old ones. I think that's what causes the difference in bass...

I let my boyfriend have a listen too just to make sure I'm not crazy and he noticed it immediately.
So there you have it
smily_headphones1.gif

Ow, and I definitely prefer the old ones
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #90 of 104
now i'm glad i got the proline and not the pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back