Ultrasone Proline 750 Vs Sennheiser HD600: A Comparative Review
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #61 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pads for the PRO 750's are the same pads as the Proline 750's.

We don't carry two different types of pads for the two models in stock for repairs/replacements.

I hope that this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

interesting....the press release i saw definitely mentioned the thicker pads on the new pros. but you're speaking from first hand experience, so i'll take your word for it instead of the press release (there's a lot of false info out there).

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #62 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pads for the PRO 750's are the same pads as the Proline 750's.

We don't carry two different types of pads for the two models in stock for repairs/replacements.

I hope that this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

This isn't my argument but I will anticipate one question you will receive. (I own the Prolines and I am very happy with them.) Someone read if I recall correctly, an advertisement in Australia from Ultrasone which read, in so many words, that the pads on the Pro's were thicker than the pads on the Prolines. This, I think, is the reason for this controversy. If what you are saying is correct, and if this advertisement really exists, there apparently needs to be a meeting between the developers of the headphones and the advertising department of Ultrasone. Do you know of any such advertisement and, if you don't, do you have a way of finding out if this advertisement really exists? Thank you for your answers.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #63 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting....the press release i saw definitely mentioned the thicker pads on the new pros. but you're speaking from first hand experience, so i'll take your word for it instead of press release (there's a lot of false info out there).

Oh, it was you. So, that means we do now know that the advertisement really exists (because I know that you would have no reason to falsify this information). So, now there needs to be a meeting between the developers of the headphones and Ultrasone's advertising department.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #64 of 104
This description appears on the Ultrasoneusa website:

"The PRO 750 (formerly the PROline 750) from Ultrasone is the ultimate closed headphone if you're looking for clarity, precision and true sound. Featuring our exclusive 40mm titanium plated Mylar driver, the PRO 750 provides an amazing level of clarity that makes it perfect for mixing, mastering and critical listening. And with S-Logic™ natural surround sound and comfortable velour earpads, the PROline 750 will see you through many hours of listening in comfort. Updated for 2008, the PRO 750 now features thicker earpads and headband pad, brushed aluminum nameplate on the earcups and a nylon hardcase to protect your headphones on the go."

If you wish to see it for yourself, here is the link:

Ultrasone

(Look at the "Description" tab.)

As I said previously, there needs to be a meeting...

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #65 of 104
If these thicker pads (if they really do exist) are claimed to also make the 750 sound even better (I wonder how considering how fantastic the 750 already sounds), then I guess this is unbelieveably great news since all Proline 750 users could just buy these new "thicker" pads and enjoy a higher level of heavenly sound.

Now, how much are these replacement pads?

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #66 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these thicker pads (if they really do exist) are claimed to also make the 750 sound even better (I wonder how considering how fantastic the 750 already sounds), then I guess this is unbelieveably great news since all Proline 750 users could just buy these new "thicker" pads and enjoy a higher level of heavenly sound.

Now, how much are these replacement pads?

Five hundred thousand million dollars and ninety-five cents.

What shall we do with our "old" pads?

But, never mind, I forgot, the nice lady representative from Ultrasone told me there is no difference in the sound. And, Ultrapaul said that the pads are the same for both models.
So, there you go, I guess.
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #67 of 104
1. ultrapaul says one thing, the press release says another.

2. Does ultrapaul speak officially for Ultrasone? Anyway, his point (that they use the same pad for replacement) only means that both pads fit, as they must (since the cup did not change), and that someone is willing to interchange them. In no way does it mean that factory-fresh PRO 750's have the same pads as ProLine 750's. And hey, if the pads really are different, then if ultrapaul repairs your 750's with "new" pads, or sells you "new" pads, you really need to find out which pad he stocks!

3. Peter -- I already found and quoted that press release in my post of July 12th.

4. Unfortunately, the release appears on UltrasoneUSA.com, which was never Ultrasone, just their (former) USA distributor (an independent company, not owned by Ultrasone). They are no longer the distributor -- Ultrasone now has their own people in the U.S. I assume UltrasoneUSA got their info from Ultrasone for real, but that is an assumption. They might have it wrong and caused this whole issue. Then again, the Australia rep said the same thing.

5. It is not really possible to uniformly (across all head sizes) compensate for thicker pads by changing something else (like the pad composition).

6. We are told that the headband also changed, so just upgrading to the new pads (if they exist) will not necessarily make the ProLine's and the PRO sound the same (if in fact they sound different).

This is all a waste of time. Except that we are trying to teach Ultrasone a lesson -- be careful what you say, and answer emails. We are a tough crowd.

We will get both cans in a room and figure this out. Heck no, we'll just listen to music and forget about this.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #68 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...we'll just listen to music and forget about this.

Yes, definitely, I agree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now, I'm listening to a pianist playing Piano Sonata in Bb Major K333 by Wofgang Amadeus Mozart. It has always amazed me the very accurate sounding way in which the Proline 750's reproduce the sound of the piano.

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #69 of 104
I havent had a chance to listen to the Pro 750's all this week, so the only music i've been getting have been via my PMX200's on the train.

So friday night, i sit down and put the Ultrasones on... and they sound bad, hollow, distant. What I think? Check that the cable is screwed on properly, check that Foobar is still using ASIO as output, adjust the headphone position.. no real change.

20mins later, my ears have 'remembered' the sound, and it sounds beautiful again. Its really very odd how these headphones can do this, the presentation is just so markedly different from regular headphones that it doesnt audially make "sense" when you're accustomed to regular non-angled drivers.

So I must reiterate - to get a taste of Ultrasone, you need to burn in. Your ears, that is, not just the headphones.

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #70 of 104
that is very odd. During that period when it didn't sound good, did you also try the hd600s? did they sound better than the 750s to you during that time? It could have been just the pmx sound you got accustomed to
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #71 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20mins later, my ears have 'remembered' the sound, and it sounds beautiful again. Its really very odd how these headphones can do this...

What a great, and insightful, post. Same for donunus' comment too. This very important point -- persitence of auditory memory -- applies to other HP listening as well. Has been said before in this forum, but not quite this well and not with this amazing real-life experience to back it up.

Covenant and donunus -- thanks.

Persistence of vision is well-known, and is the "trick" behind a number of close-up magic effects. But this effect less so.

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #73 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is very odd. During that period when it didn't sound good, did you also try the hd600s? did they sound better than the 750s to you during that time? It could have been just the pmx sound you got accustomed to
biggrin.gif

I didnt, no. But then i've never had that transitonary effect going from the PMX to the HD600, and i've owned both for years. The PMX has a very crisp, punchy, dynamic sound, but completely lacking in soundstage and a little tonally hollow.

Going from them to the HD600 one immediately feels they have 'upgraded' the listening experience. However the Pro 750 seems to differ markedly enough from both of these headphones that if left unused for a while, listening to them again makes you just "not get" the sound.

Quote:

What a great, and insightful, post. Same for donunus' comment too. This very important point -- persitence of auditory memory -- applies to other HP listening as well.

I noticed going through the "big thread" that alot of the early supporters of Ultrasone had done at least a fair bit of speaker listening. This might be why oppinions seem so conflicted on these phones, as their angled drivers are trying to recreate a speaker-like presentation from headphones. If you've spent most of your time listening to music through headphones - as I have - the sudden change in presentation sounds subjectively 'bad', or 'wierd', as I first called them out of the box.

Quote:

Open or closed back?

Have Grado 80's at the mo, Senn 600 before that - how does the surround sound alter the closed back.

The Pro 750 is closed back. The combination of being closed and using S-Logic seems to be a smaller soundstage than the HD600, with less cathedral-hall space to resonate in, but more accurate imaging and the ability to position the soundfiend right around the head.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #74 of 104
This ultrasone mystery is really starting to bug me. Ive never seen a more love/hate relationship in other cans than these ultrasones. I've also noticed that the proline 750 is usually the either really loved or really hated can. I am probably gonna cough up the dough one day and buy a pair just to quiet my brain
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, as for the getting used to the sound part, I usually switch from my speakers to grados to senns etc... and there is no more weird adjustment phase. I used to have this before when I AB tested the ms1s vs the hd555s. One can's strenths would make the next to be played sound bad because of the lack of these strengths. Or ones weaknessess would really stick out coming from the other can that didn't have the glaring flaws. After a while, I knew the respective sounds of of both headphones to instantly adjust and just hear the flaws and strengths for what they are on their own compared to what I feel sounds real instead of being compared to the other as the reference.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #75 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. ultrapaul says one thing, the press release says another. Well, there you go.

So what do I do? Just because I've got nothing else to do, than to sit in my office all day long and listen to cool music (my opinion), through THE best headphones around
smily_headphones1.gif
I pulled out the old measuring tape, just for everyone here.

2. Does ultrapaul speak officially for Ultrasone?

I think so........
biggrin.gif

Anyway, his point (that they use the same pad for replacement) only means that both pads fit, as they must (since the cup did not change), and that someone is willing to interchange them. In no way does it mean that factory-fresh PRO 750's have the same pads as ProLine 750's. And hey, if the pads really are different, then if ultrapaul repairs your 750's with "new" pads, or sells you "new" pads, you really need to find out which pad he stocks!

I stock only the official pads for Ultrasone headphones, and no others. There are only one set of pads for the Proline and PRO series of headphones

3. Peter -- I already found and quoted that press release in my post of July 12th.

Sorry, I can't speak for what was printed in the past or what has been printed somewhere else. What I am stating here, comes officially from Ultrasone. I even talked to Florian about it.

4. Unfortunately, the release appears on UltrasoneUSA.com, which was never Ultrasone, just their (former) USA distributor (an independent company, not owned by Ultrasone). They are no longer the distributor -- Ultrasone now has their own people in the U.S. I assume UltrasoneUSA got their info from Ultrasone for real, but that is an assumption. They might have it wrong and caused this whole issue. Then again, the Australia rep said the same thing.

See above. Otherwise, no comment.

5. It is not really possible to uniformly (across all head sizes) compensate for thicker pads by changing something else (like the pad composition).

6. We are told that the headband also changed, so just upgrading to the new pads (if they exist) will not necessarily make the ProLine's and the PRO sound the same (if in fact they sound different).

The logo part of the headband changed.

This is all a waste of time. Except that we are trying to teach Ultrasone a lesson -- be careful what you say, and answer emails. We are a tough crowd.

True. Starting a business is always "interesting". I will say nothing more about this situation. We are here for you to contact. The contact information is readily available. If we can do anything to assist, please let us know.
We will get both cans in a room and figure this out. Heck no, we'll just listen to music and forget about this.

Sounds fine to me. And now, back to listening to......................
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, before I do. I measured the pads on a new PRO and a new Proline 750 (have only one here for demo purposes, sorry). 15/16 of an inch, for both. And yes, I even checked the spare pads to make sure that it wasn't a fluke.

Hope I was able to help.

Signed,

Brandy, Paul and Mary (that sounds familiar................
rolleyes.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back