Jul 13, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #33 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, Covenant. Can I have them back now?*

*Just kidding
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol, i knew that was coming
tongue.gif
You'd only be putting my wallet into deeper risk by tempting me to get the Edition 9
frown.gif

I'd be happy to bring them to a mini-meet or such so you can listen to the changes, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #34 of 104
Maybe we can find some way to share the cost of some Edition 9s with joint custody ...

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #35 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe we can find some way to share the cost of some Edition 9s with joint custody ...

Dont tempt me, I'm still trying to save for my trip
biggrin.gif

I'm not all that tempted by the Edition 9 right now though to be honest. Ignorance is bliss, they say, and I find i'm enjoying the Pro750's sufficiently that i'm not lusting after their big brothers. Besides, I'd imagine the Ed9 would shine best from a higher resolution rig than mine, and I've no intention of overhauling my system again.

My simple computer - pico - hd600/pro750 setup suits me just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #36 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont tempt me...Besides, I'd imagine the Ed9 would shine best from a higher resolution rig than mine, and I've no intention of overhauling my system again...

Nope, the Edition 9 will just make your current system sound better.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #38 of 104
Great review! I havent done any extensive listening with my Proline 750 for a while.

I wonder if I could buy PRO750 earpads somewhere. If they really are thicker (confirmation is still needed, we have now word against word), then they surely WILL alter sound. Ultrasones are very sensitive to slight adjustments in pads. Remember the bass-mod for Ultrasones where you wrap rubberpand around the earbad so it will squeeze it slightly and alter the bass?

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #39 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they really are thicker (confirmation is still needed, we have now word against word), then they surely WILL alter sound. Ultrasones are very sensitive to slight adjustments in pads.

Yup. I always "twist" both sides when I put my pl750's on to get a better seal = more bass. The thicker pads would be a bit better I'm sure.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #40 of 104
Thanks for a great review - I have Prolines 2500s and I was thinking of selling hd-595 and getting hd-600 since now they do $50 off for them. My 2500s are nearing the end of burn-in and they sound so good (and they became more comfortable) that I figure I probably won't need another pair of headphones, ever! From your review I understand that I won't win too much by getting hd-600 in addition to what I got..

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your review I understand that I won't win too much by getting hd-600 in addition to what I got..

They do have some virtues that the Prolines lack. Soundstage is bigger - not as precisely imaged, but bigger nonetheless - and it adds a creamy smoothness to vocals in particular that can be very nice with 'chill out' music.

The Ultrasones are *not* chillout phones. They have a more engaging, lively, dynamic nature to them. So the two 'phones can be quite complimentary in that way.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #42 of 104
Dammit!!

I am selling my Triple fis to get a pair of HD600 JUST TO TRY them and compare them to the HD650. I received an offer to trade them for the PRO 750 and this thread is making me think about it!

My question is about details. Which of the two headphones would you guys say is more detailed? It seems they are very different headphones and I honestly love the HD650. I am looking for the HD650 sound but with more upfront vocals...

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #43 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for the HD650 sound but with more upfront vocals...

I love my PRO 750's, but they are closed cans that are "in your face" (I mean "in your ears") big time. You won't get what you say you're looking for with them. If you love the Senn sound but don't want the vocals to be in the shroud, either amp the Senns differently, or get the new 600 Ohm Beyer 880's (they are nothing like the 880's you know) available direct from Beyer via the MANUFAKTUR link on their site. Lots of talk about them in other threads. I have all three (well 600's not 650's, but I have heard the 650's a lot). My amps are SS; some folks in Head Fi swear you must amp Senn 600's and 650's with tubes. Don't know.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #44 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is about details. Which of the two headphones would you guys say is more detailed? It seems they are very different headphones and I honestly love the HD650. I am looking for the HD650 sound but with more upfront vocals...

'Upfront' and 'details' are two different things. Sound being 'upfront' is a function of smaller soundstage and dynamics, 'details' gets into information retrieval, microdynamics, transient response, imaging and overall speed.

The Pro750 is definitely both more detailed and more upfront than the HD600, at least in my system. The expense is the loss of that Sennheiser laid-back quality and ease of listening. Pro750 doesnt encourage you to relax, it encourages you to get into the music, focus on it. HD600 can be very mellow and comforting when it wants to be, by contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back