Ultrasone PRO900
Oct 8, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #481 of 924
I really want to slap these headphones around Mr Koenigs deaf ears. The bass boost is just one thing: Extreme. Even a -12dB shelf filter isn't enough to bring it down to neutral levels. And with neutral i certainly don't mean something like the k701 but using my O300s as a reference. I doubt burn in is going to bring the bass down so much, maybe it won't overpower the rest as much but the quanity stays the same.

There's only 2 applications this kind of bass makes sence:
Very very silent listening or very very loud listening (you'll feel like being having a Clubs soundsystem on your head).

For everything inbetween it's more than i can stand for 2 minutes. That's really sad because the rest of the pro900 is absolutely likeable. Let's wait and see what burn in brings to the table.

Oh there is something good to say about the bass too: Detail and texture is pretty good as long its properly amped. It could be tighter but for my taste it's good enough. Just way too accentuated.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #482 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want to slap these headphones around Mr Koenigs deaf ears. The bass boost is just one thing: Extreme. Even a -12dB shelf filter isn't enough to bring it down to neutral levels. And with neutral i certainly don't mean something like the k701 but using my O300s as a reference. I doubt burn in is going to bring the bass down so much, maybe it won't overpower the rest as much but the quanity stays the same.

Very very silent listening or very very loud listening (you'll feel like being having a Clubs soundsystem on your head).

For everything inbetween it's more than i can stand for 2 minutes. That's really sad because the rest of the pro900 is absolutely likeable. Let's wait and see what burn in brings to the table.

Oh there is something good to say about the bass too: Detail and texture is pretty good as long its properly amped. It could be tighter but for my taste it's good enough. Just way too accentuated.

even more bass than the pro750? the pro750s had a bit too much bass for my taste, so on these it must be overbearing.

fortunately for us, it's quite easy to reduce bass (much easier than boosting bass without losing quality). all you have to do is add cotton behind the baffle in the empty space in the earcups. it makes the bass tighter/more defined as well. ofcourse with 400 dollar headphones, ideally you shouldn't have to mod, but well, we do it anyways (AH-D5000 for example). so why not apply the simple mod to the pro900s? if you have the proper screwdriver, it takes only 2-3 minutes (on the pro750 anyways).

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #483 of 924
Quote:

I just ordered my pro900 and should get them sometime next week.

From this comment, it sounds to me like you are describing the pro 2500 when it s out of the box.
At first the bass is very strong but after a long burn in, it gets much weaker.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #484 of 924
I also found the bass on my 2500 to be overblown out of the box and found it settled considerably with burn-in. So maybe there is hope the 900 will behave similarly.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #485 of 924
I only heard my Proline 750s with lots of burn in so i never knew how they sounded out of the box. That means i'm not sure if the bass ammount is actually more on the 900 but i know for sure it's alot more annoying right now as it was on my 750
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll keep it burning in for 2 weeks and post updates
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #486 of 924
Bizkid: can you comment on the claim of larger soundstage?
In other regards - I would wait until burn-in does its work - the tonality of Ultrasones is unpredictable until settled in (resolution should improve also - they should be capable of catching up to K701).

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #487 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also found the bass on my 2500 to be overblown out of the box and found it settled considerably with burn-in. So maybe there is hope the 900 will behave similarly.

Many phones behave in such a way. So did my PROline 2500 and HFI-780. I guess we will have to wait and try them out.
biggrin.gif
My wallet just ran out of the room.
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #488 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many phones behave in such a way. So did my PROline 2500 and HFI-780. I guess we will have to wait and try them out.
biggrin.gif
My wallet just ran out of the room.
frown.gif

Maybe you can make some comparison between the PL2500, Vs HFI-780 Vs k701
wink_face.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #489 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you can make some comparison between the PL2500, Vs HFI-780 Vs k701
wink_face.gif

IMO my K701 w/ an APureSound V3 re-cable is the best sounding and truer to the original of all three. However for certain applications the HFI-780 also w/ an APureSound re-cable could be more fun, for example just jamming out and drinking beer!
very_evil_smiley.gif

The PROline 2500 are also a fun can and like other Ultrasones it adds its flavor to the music presentation. Currently I use them as transportable (office) and in that function they are very nice.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #490 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO my K701 w/ an APureSound V3 re-cable is the best sounding and truer to the original of all three.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience...

beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #492 of 924
Yes. They're extremly slow to burn in
wink.gif

Today the bass ammount is still the same as out of the box (as expected) but it has moved into the background a bit, it's not as overbearing and boomy anymore, but still not where i'd like it to be. The most notable thing about the bass: it is boomy only on some notes and i have no real explanation to that. Its not the recordings. This can only be due to the cups which have a resonance at that specific freq. just like a room resonance and speakers. But how can this become less with burn in ?
confused_face(1).gif

Besides that the mids got more clarity especially upper mids, and you can hear room cues more easily.

I'm pretty sure that ultrasone would reach a far far wider audience settling down the with the bass crazymess a bit, they have so many headphones they surely can afford to have one "less bass but highend" variant in their line up. The bass and other qualities are great itself, it's just too much in an extreme way.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #494 of 924
Quote:

The most notable thing about the bass: it is boomy only on some notes and i have no real explanation to that. Its not the recordings. This can only be due to the cups which have a resonance at that specific freq. just like a room resonance and speakers. But how can this become less with burn in ?
confused_face(1).gif

The bass and other qualities are great itself, it's just too much in an extreme way.

totally agree with you here. your findings mirror mine. even in the pro750, i found that on a few rare songs, the bass was boomy/echo-ey. on other songs there was no hint of boominess. but when i tried those same songs that sounded boomy with the pro750 on speakers and my other headphones, i failed to notice any boominess. this led me to believe that the earcup has certain resonant frequencies in the bass. it only happens with those particular bass frequencies.

as for your second point, i think using the cotton mod really helps in reducing these resonances and tones down the bass volume in a healthy way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back