Ultrasone PRO900
Oct 14, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #496 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by klobnitrones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Peter for your advice i listened to the 750's the k701's and a few others and i like the 750's the best. are the 900's worth the extra 100 dollars??

I don't know. I wish I did know the answer to your question. But, I've never heard the Pro 900's. All I can tell you about the Pro 900's so far is what I've read in these forums. Kwkarth said he heard them briefly in a noisy environment and liked them so far but wanted to listen to them again for a more thorough evaluation. Jude gave them a somewhat favorable review but said he wanted to listen more. And, Bizkid hasn't formed a complete opinion because his Pro 900's are still burning in. So, there you are with the latest reports that I've read about.
Out of curiosity, what is your purpose, mainly, for them? I mean would it be predominately personal listening or are you involved in studio production work or anything similar?
Since you're new around here (welcome to Head-Fi BTW) I will tell you that I own the Pro (actually, Proline) 750's and like them very much. Speaking for only my opinion, I think they are an excellent choice but there are those who would disagree.
Good luck in selecting your headphones. I'm glad I have been able to help you to whatever extent.

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #497 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. They're extremly slow to burn in
wink.gif

Today the bass ammount is still the same as out of the box (as expected) but it has moved into the background a bit, it's not as overbearing and boomy anymore, but still not where i'd like it to be. The most notable thing about the bass: it is boomy only on some notes and i have no real explanation to that. Its not the recordings. This can only be due to the cups which have a resonance at that specific freq. just like a room resonance and speakers. But how can this become less with burn in ?
confused_face(1).gif

Besides that the mids got more clarity especially upper mids, and you can hear room cues more easily.

I'm pretty sure that ultrasone would reach a far far wider audience settling down the with the bass crazymess a bit, they have so many headphones they surely can afford to have one "less bass but highend" variant in their line up. The bass and other qualities are great itself, it's just too much in an extreme way.

I have received mine as well. They have the crazy bass that the pro 2500 had when i just received them. Now it got much weaker with the 2500 so I m expecting the pro 900 to calm down quite a bit as well with a few hundread hours of burn in.
The sound of the pro 900 also seems darker than the pro 2500 or the edition 9.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #503 of 924
why must sellers make outlandish statements like, The E9's must be the best headphone in the world! Maybe he thinks we are noobs.. People who buy these have owned/own/heard the best headphones ever made.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #504 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why must sellers make outlandish statements like, The E9's must be the best headphone in the world! Maybe he thinks we are noobs.. People who buy these have owned/own/heard the best headphones ever made.

Try and tell your friends...LOL.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #505 of 924
Oct 17, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #506 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This ad is pure lies
smily_headphones1.gif
This doesnt sound like an edition 9 at all. It's even hard to believe that this cans are from the same brand when you listen them next to each other.

Does it sound anything like HD650? Seems that 'dark' is the name of the game so far.

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #508 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it sound anything like HD650? Seems that 'dark' is the name of the game so far.

No they don't really sound like the hd650.
They still aren't as dark as the hd650 (I should have that they aren't as bright as the 2500 rather than darker
smily_headphones1.gif
)and the huge bass and weaker mids make them sound unbalanced compared to the hd650. Hopefully with more burn in it gets better.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #510 of 924
If the 900 burn-in takes as long as the HFI-780 burn-in, then do *not* bother listening to them until after 200+ hours, or you risk being shocked with the SQ.

When I picked up my 780 for a quick listen, in the middle of the burn-in, I almost had a heart attack from the terrible SQ -- I didn't pick them up agin until after 200+ hours, and voila! -- great-sounding cans!

Good thing I didn't just put them in the FS forum prematurely!
I mean, they sounded so bad during that one quick listen, that I had no intention of selling those P.O.S -sounding cans to anyone here, and ruining my reputation -- I would have thrown them away first. Good thing I "kept the faith" and let them burn-in long enough! Now they are "keepers".

All the Ultrasones I've bought have had this pattern to varying degrees --
out-of-the-box = okay sound,
during burn-in = yikes! sound,
after enough burn-in = great sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back