Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Nov 2, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #241 of 2,110
In all seriousness, the aesthetics of the Edition 10 aren't for everyone, and I respect that. That's a good thing to my mind, as it shows Ultrasone is making a bold statement. Good art should solicit a strong emotional response, either way. If it was just a bland lump of plastic, then it wouldn't even be worth noticing.

Quote:
Nice come back. I foresee another thread closure. 

I was just teasing. My sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #242 of 2,110

Quote:
In all seriousness, the aesthetics of the Edition 10 aren't for everyone, and I respect that. That's a good thing to my mind, as it shows Ultrasone is making a bold statement. Good art should solicit a strong emotional response, either way. If it was just a bland lump of plastic, then it wouldn't even be worth noticing.

I was just teasing. My sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

Ultrasone does have its own design aesthetic as does Audio Technica. I much prefer the latter. I do agree that Ultrasone's designs make a strong statement. I see the Edition series as luxurious limited edition headphones, that will become highly sought after collectables once they are all sold. I am reluctant to describe them as art - be it good or bad.   

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #243 of 2,110

Quote:
If people with boob avatars don't like it, it must mean Ultrasone is doing something right.

Post of the day. Might have to sig that actually, once I figure out how much trouble I might get into by doing so. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #244 of 2,110

Quote:
Ultrasone does have its own design aesthetic as does Audio Technica. I much prefer the latter. I do agree that Ultrasone's designs make a strong statement. I see the Edition series as luxurious limited edition headphones, that will become highly sought after collectables once they are all sold. I am reluctant to describe them as art - be it good or bad.   

There's no single agreed upon definition for what constitutes art. Here are a few definitions that could apply to headphones though:

2. "the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria"
5. "any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertisingart; industrial art."
12. "skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature."
(Source: Dictionary.com)

Headphones get their appearance from artists and technicians who sketch out the concept before hand, applying the principles of aesthetics in service of the headphone's technical requirements. Not just Ultrasone, but any manufacturer.

Furthermore, when the headphones are actually made and assembled by hand in the factory, that requires skilled workmanship rather than sweatshop-type brute labor.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #245 of 2,110

Quote:
There's no single agreed upon definition for what constitutes art.

That's very true, but I'm not sure if any pair of headphones, no matter how pretty they might be, can qualify as art. When Jeremy Clarkson was talking about the gorgeous Alfa Romeo 8C, he said he asked someone from the Tate gallery if a car can ever be art, and the answer was no - for an object to be art it can have no purpose other than itself, no function. Any piece of electronics is functional device first and foremost. You can dress them up with elegant precious metals or woods, and those materials may have a direct impact on the function of the device and may not just be window dressing, but that doesn't make the ED10 a Rembrandt. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #246 of 2,110
As best I can tell from the pics, I like the look, but until I get mine in person, I won't know for sure.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #247 of 2,110
The Edition 10 is no Rembrandt, but I don't need some purist from an art gallery to tell me that something can't be one thing as well as art at the same time. Art is beautiful, meant to lift the veil of normal life and make you think or lift your mind to higher things. Not all people will agree with that definition, but I'm OK with that. The Edition Series from Ultrasone can be art in my opinion, if not the most tasteful kind. I probably like the looks of the 8 (especially the limited edition) better than the 10 as it is cleaner, but the 10s larger size and circular shape give them aesthetics of its own. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #249 of 2,110

Quote:
for an object to be art it can have no purpose other than itself, no function.

As someone who appreciates religious iconography, which serves the purpose of praise and inspiration toward reflection, I strongly disagree with this modernist / post-modernist interpretation. Looking at the body of literature, films, paintings which carry a social message or statement... that's a lot you're going to exclude. I guess Ghost's "Free Tibet" protest album isn't art either by this definition. Oh, and of course culinary art is out the window. Sorry, chefs. 

To each their own, of course. I will continue to admire Moth and Shindo Labs amplifiers as art.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #252 of 2,110

Quote:
. I probably like the looks of the 8 (especially the limited edition) better than the 10 as it is cleaner, but the 10s larger size and circular shape give them aesthetics of its own. 

I agree with that.I even love the look of the ED8 (Rutenium)than ED8 LE.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #253 of 2,110
Uh oh...Avatar fight.

Us people with the anime avatars have to stick together, right MuppetFace?

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #255 of 2,110
Quote:
Do I win 10 internets by having avatars disabled?

No. Not being able to follow the conversation because you can tell who said what is punishment enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back