Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Nov 19, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 811

I am all in favor of you grabbing a pair of UERMs, especially as a I love mine.  
smile.gif
  However, I do want to point out that the UERR is not replacing the UERM.  That was one of the first questions we had for them, and we confirmed this weeks before the event.  So I guess the only downside is that you need both now?  
biggrin.gif

LOL, buying blind, that takes some big huevos man!

It doesn't seem that the UERM isn't on UE's website anymore. If its not being replaced then maybe it'll return?

Buying a remastered version of the UERM is certainly not a bit risk to me 
etysmile.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #17 of 811

smile.gif
  However, I do want to point out that the UERR is not replacing the UERM.  That was one of the first questions we had for them, and we confirmed this weeks before the event.  So I guess the only downside is that you need both now?  
biggrin.gif

Hey, no need to make a decision now.  Just get scanned first.  
smile.gif
  That said, the UE4 is one of the most impressive single-BA units I've heard.  I have more than a few multi-BA units that the UE4 puts to shame without any mercy or pity.

Another benefit of the new suspension system is that it should make it far easier (and theoretically faster) for UE to both:  (a) ensure better accuracy with their target curve,and (b) maintain consistency from unit-to-unit.  That latter point is particularly important to me as I often used the UERM as a basis of comparative impressions with others.

Thanks for the extensive reply! Sounds like an awesome event, despite the absence of the demo. 

The UERR not replacing the UERM is both awesome and horrible news! Ha! At least those who just got the UERM won't be kicking themselves...instead, they'll be wishing they had another grand. :) I can't wait to hear some comparison reviews. 

That's encouraging to hear your feelings about the quality of the UE4. It still gets a lot of praise, which is saying a lot. You've just pushed me further toward that direction...much more fitting to my budget, at this time. Being in LA to get scanned would be fun, too. Maybe they'll have a demo of the UERR by the time I get down there mid-December. 

I've always wondered how much variation exists between individual productions of a single ciem. Of course, UE knows what they're doing, but aren't they all assembled by hand? The suspension system sounds like a great idea. I wonder if other companies will do the same; I've been concerned about some of the variations people have described hearing in different iems. Of course, it could be the user's hearing, but it did seem like driver placement could have room for error. The new system could also make someone more confident buying secondhand and having UE reshell. I've always wondered whether someone's reshell's are the same as the original. This could actually help the UERR maintain its value in the secondary market. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 811

smile.gif
biggrin.gif

It doesn't seem that the UERM isn't on UE's website anymore. If its not being replaced then maybe it'll return?

Hmm, that's news to me!  
smile.gif

Here's the thing, the UERR isn't just an extension or an evolution of the UERM.  I mean, yes, it is that to a certain degree, but it's more than that.  There is a specific set of sonic goals that the UERM and UERR could work to achieve, together.

For those who enjoy woodworking or do an occasional bit of carpentry, think of them as different saw blades/teeth.  Both do the same, but each is slightly better suited to a particular way of - actually, I'ma stop right here as I'm not sure how much of this I should be saying at this point.

I'll simply finish with this for now... I personally feel that, in order to take my critical listening skills to the next level, I will most likely need both the UERM and the UERR... and that using them in conjunction will give me a better insight into the music than either one alone.

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #21 of 811

Sorry guys....but isn't this like going to a birthday party and the birthday boy or girl isn't there!!!!!

I suppose that's true to a certain extent. But the real story that day wasn't so much the UERR, but how it would be used.

Inside the control room for Studio B, Barak Moffit and Philippe Depallens outlined for us a specific and unified strategy, for which the UERR is only the last baton in a grand relay race.  Actually, let me put that another way... the Head of Global Strategic Operations at Universal Music Group, and the Vice President and General Manager of Ultimate Ears Pro, jointly illustrated a vision to bring us the very utmost in fidelity.

There was some discussion of "what the artist intended" and it was rather serious.  In other words, it wasn't just consumer bull that amounts to nothing more than some rapper claiming the above because that's how he likes his bass.  This is about taking what the artist and engineers truly intended, guided along by people that were or are actually there, and trying to preserve that through to your ear canal.

Lemme put it another way.  If I had to make one small change to the formal name of the product, I would call it the Ultimate Ears Pro Reference [Monitor] Remastered.  That one word, "monitor," is pretty darned important I think.

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 811
Nov 19, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 811
  Thanks for the extensive reply! Sounds like an awesome event, despite the absence of the demo. 

It was, it really was a terrific treat to be there.  I've often said that an audition trumps any number of written words about a subject, and that time in the studio has answered many questions for me, particularly regarding the benefits of hi-res audio.  
smile.gif

That's encouraging to hear your feelings about the quality of the UE4. It still gets a lot of praise, which is saying a lot. You've just pushed me further toward that direction...much more fitting to my budget, at this time. Being in LA to get scanned would be fun, too. Maybe they'll have a demo of the UERR by the time I get down there mid-December. 

I have little to no complaints about the UE4, especially when I factor in its performance-to-price ratio.  Despite it being the de facto entry level by virtue of its price, most of the people I know that have auditioned a UE4 are rather impressed by it.  If there is any one thing that they want more from it, it's bass.  But since I like neutrality, the UE4's bass has never once been an issue for me.  IOW, I don't really consider the UE4 to be entry level.  Within any product range, there must be a lower priced unit right?  The UE4 just happens to it in this case.  
smile.gif

I've always wondered how much variation exists between individual productions of a single ciem. Of course, UE knows what they're doing, but aren't they all assembled by hand? The suspension system sounds like a great idea. I wonder if other companies will do the same; I've been concerned about some of the variations people have described hearing in different iems. Of course, it could be the user's hearing, but it did seem like driver placement could have room for error. The new system could also make someone more confident buying secondhand and having UE reshell. I've always wondered whether someone's reshell's are the same as the original. This could actually help the UERR maintain its value in the secondary market. 

Actually, this I know, as I've happened to be in the room multiple times while UE engineers are calibrating units at their labs in Irvine.  In fact, they pride themselves on this secret process so much, that it's one of the few things people are not allowed to take photos of while they are there.  I'm certainly not going to reveal anything here, but I am quite reasonably satisfied that any sonic variance from unit-to-unit is very likely caused by differences in how we hear, and not unit variance.

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #24 of 811

Actually, this I know, as I've happened to be in the room multiple times while UE engineers are calibrating units at their labs in Irvine.  In fact, they pride themselves on this secret process so much, that it's one of the few things people are not allowed to take photos of while they are there.  I'm certainly not going to reveal anything here, but I am quite reasonably satisfied that any sonic variance from unit-to-unit is very likely caused by differences in how we hear, and not unit variance.

That sounds fascinating! Yeah, I've never doubted the consistency of the UERM. Is it possible to say impressions regarding sound signature and technicalities have been unanimous on the UERM? If not, they're really close. When I said, "I wonder if other companies will do the same; I've been concerned about some of the variations people have described hearing in different iems," I was referring to others brands of ciem; trusted reviewers have given such different opinions on the same model that it was tough not to imagine variance in manufacturing. I wonder how many of those companies do the kind of calibration you're referring to. Still, I can't but imagine the new technology would make the calibration simpler... 

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #25 of 811
UPDATE!  Hey guys, I just reached out to UE and it's been confirmed... the UERM is no longer available.  Sorry about that!  
redface.gif
  So if any of you guys have been wanting a UERM... well... SUX 2 B U!  
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #26 of 811
  UPDATE!  Hey guys, I just reached out to UE and it's been confirmed... the UERM is no longer available.  Sorry about that!  
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

That's huge. In headfi world, historic almost. The UERM has in a sense been the ruler to which ciems have been measured. I think this means every UERM owner needs to upgrade to keep things consistent. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #27 of 811
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Man I posted my thoughts of the UERM literally on the last day it was available... 
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #28 of 811
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't know whether to be excited there's a beefed up UERM or to start lamenting my most favorite custom is now relegated to head-fi ancient history

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #29 of 811
  That's huge. In headfi world, historic almost. The UERM has in a sense been the ruler to which ciems have been measured.

I'm going to be extra careful with mine... not going to plug it into anything strange from here on out.  
blink.gif

I think this means every UERM owner needs to upgrade to keep things consistent. 

LOLOLOL!  I'm sure UE will be happy to hear that.  Alternatively, it means that UERM owners will be able to provide an exclusive set of impressions to each other that not everyone can relate to.  
wink.gif

Man I posted my thoughts of the UERM literally on the last day it was available... 
frown.gif

Well, look at it this way... if you did get someone off the fence, then they had an opportunity to get one before it's gone forever (a good thing).  
smile.gif

I don't know whether to be excited there's a beefed up UERM or to start lamenting my most favorite custom is now relegated to head-fi ancient history

Both?  Le roi est mort, vive le roi!
beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 811
Kudos to UE for not increasing the price. They could easily have kept the UERM in their lineup, and hyped this new version to about $1700.

Now, what caught my eye... how much, hypotetically, would one of those studio monitors set you back? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back