Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Nov 19, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #32 of 811
Just to clarify... Is the UERM-R a replacement for the UERM or not? I just read multiple posts that seem to have conflicting info... If what I read was correct, it seems to be a "different saw blades/teeth" concept, rather than a new, better, replacement set?

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 811

... I will most likely need both the UERM and the UERR... and that using them in conjunction will give me a better insight into the music than either one alone.

When you guys (you/ethan/jude) get a chance, do post comparisons between the two.  I got UERM and love its neutrality.  Wonder if I would need/want the UERR.      

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #34 of 811

Just to clarify... Is the UERM-R a replacement for the UERM or not? I just read multiple posts that seem to have conflicting info... If what I read was correct, it seems to be a "different saw blades/teeth" concept, rather than a new, better, replacement set?

Thanks!

jelt, sorry, I may have been partially mistaken on that.  While it remains to be seen as to whether it the UERR is a successor - we'll all need to hear it to make that determination - it is definitely replacing the UERM in terms of availability.

For newcomers to the Reference Monitor series, I guess it doesn't matter as availability makes the choice for them.  For existing UERM owners, I suppose the question is whether to upgrade or sidegrade?  We'll see after there are impressions posted.

As for myself, and having some insight on how the UERR has been tuned, I've already made the decision to get it.  I see it as working in conjunction with the UERM, and will be using them both for critical listening purposes (in terms of evaluating gear and peering deeper into the music).

When you guys (you/ethan/jude) get a chance, do post comparisons between the two.  I got UERM and love its neutrality.  Wonder if I would need/want the UERR.      

Definitely will do, first chance I get!  
smile.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #36 of 811
Can UE confirm if current UERM users would be able to upgrade to this new model?

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #41 of 811
Being one of the (seemingly few) head-fiers with no interest in customs, I wish more of the high end IEM guys would follow JH and Noble's lead into making universal versions of their best products... they make them for demoing anyway, why not offer it as a product line?

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #42 of 811
Are UE monitors in general available as universal?

No. There are universal demo units of the UERM that measure and sound pretty close to the full-customs. However, they're (officially) only obtainable by UE dealers.

As for the UERR, I'd be surprised if UE would make them generally available as universals. Interested in trying a demo unit though, someday.

On a personal note, nothing against further improvement of a superb IEM, but am I the only one who thinks the "Made for Hi-Res" marketing ploy is getting stale pretty fast?

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #43 of 811
Being one of the (seemingly few) head-fiers with no interest in customs, I wish more of the high end IEM guys would follow JH and Noble's lead into making universal versions of their best products... they make them for demoing anyway, why not offer it as a product line?

You have to remember, UE makes a lot of products for actual music professionals out there, and that's likely their main target audience, not just audio enthusiasts. The UERM and probably UERR are no exception. Most pros require the use of in-ear monitors to be used....as monitors and especially when on stage where isolation is needed, in which usually only a custom fit earpiece would be appropriate. My guess is that the universal demo units are meant exactly for that, a demo. I got to tour UE's headquarters in Irvine a few months ago and there were two customers in there who were getting UE products for their professional musician lives: one was a drummer, another was a singer.

And yes, I got to demo the universal version of the UERM on their testing setup. Having custom in-ears likely benefits the customer too in that they get a near-guarantee that the sound will sound the same each time they use it as opposed to a universal version where "tip-rolling" or ear canal shape can affect the sound. My guess is that they want their products having consistent behaviour with everyone who uses them, and eliminating ear canal shape and "tip-rolling" is only possible with custom fits.

From what I can see, JH Audio's universal in-ears aren't necessarily geared towards the pro audio audience (hence why none of their Pro series products are offered in universal fit) and are likely more towards the audio enthusiast, much like Noble's products.

On a personal note, nothing against further improvement of a superb IEM, but am I the only one who thinks the "Made for Hi-Res" marketing ploy is getting stale pretty fast?

Nope, you're not the only one. "Hi-res" and "Remaster" sound more like marketing gimmicks to me unfortunately, not matter how benign it might be on intention. As I've stated before, remastered stuff tends to not be so great from my experience, and it's the master that makes far more of a difference in sound quality than any format like 24/384.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #44 of 811
You have to remember, UE makes a lot of products for actual music professionals out there, and that's likely their main target audience, not just audio enthusiasts. The UERM and probably UERR are no exception. Most pros require the use of in-ear monitors to be used....as monitors and especially when on stage where isolation is needed, in which usually only a custom fit earpiece would be appropriate. My guess is that the universal demo units are meant exactly for that, a demo. I got to tour UE's headquarters in Irvine a few months ago and there were two customers in there who were getting UE products for their professional musician lives: one was a drummer, another was a singer.

And yes, I got to demo the universal version of the UERM on their testing setup. Having custom in-ears likely benefits the customer too in that they get a near-guarantee that the sound will sound the same each time they use it as opposed to a universal version where "tip-rolling" or ear canal shape can affect the sound. My guess is that they want their products having consistent behaviour with everyone who uses them, and eliminating ear canal shape and "tip-rolling" is only possible with custom fits.

From what I can see, JH Audio's universal in-ears aren't necessarily geared towards the pro audio audience (hence why none of their Pro series products are offered in universal fit) and are likely more towards the audio enthusiast, much like Noble's products.
Nope, you're not the only one. "Hi-res" and "Remaster" sound more like marketing gimmicks to me unfortunately, not matter how benign it might be on intention. As I've stated before, remastered stuff tends to not be so great from my experience, and it's the master that makes far more of a difference in sound quality than any format like 24/384.

Yeah I do understand the reasons for the status quo. But the market has changed, there is a market for high-end IEMS in the consumer market now.

It's there for the taking.

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #45 of 811
UE’s New UERR is getting some great love from the Pro Audio media. Check it out!

Pro Sound Web:

The UE Pro Reference Remastered features an internal mechanical structure that makes sure frequencies are faithfully presented. And, with the natural ambient sound occlusion of custom in-ear monitors, using the UE Pro Reference Remastered is similar to the experience of working in an acoustically controlled studio.

Pro-Audio Central

This new custom in-ear monitor is promoted as allowing the user to ‘experience the nuances and details of high-res recordings, whether you’re in the studio, at home or on the road.

Sound on Sound:

Ultimate Ears Pro (UE Pro) continue their 20+ year legacy of innovation with their latest custom in-ear monitor, the UE Pro Reference Remastered, an in-ear monitor tuned for high-resolution audio.

ProSound News:

Updating the original UE Pro Reference Monitor, Ultimate Ears Pro and Capitol Studios engineers once again worked together to create the UE Pro Reference Remastered, which sports UE Pro’s proprietary True Tone Drivers, which are said to extend the frequency range, and deliver a flat response to 18 kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back