Ultimate DIY: the 3.5mm 1/8" mini jack plug collection thread
Mar 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #61 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if you had any pointers on soldering the dock connector terminals? I've tried removing the pins first, then soldering and heat shrink, but then I just can't seem to get the pins to stay back in place once I put the connector back together. Is there some sort of push on device similar to a telephone terminal block tool, that pushes the wire onto the pin instead of soldering.

There's no device I know of, unfortunately. What I do is pull out all the pins I don't need, then bend the remaining pins away or toward each other as needed (for instance, 11 & 15 are tied, so I bend then most of the way together, while I bend 2 & 4 away from each other) - do this carefully as the pins seem pretty brittle and I've had some break. Then I use a fairly small tip on my iron and solder the wires/cable to the pins while they are still in the connector.

It's a pain, and sometimes the pins will pull out while I'm working on the other end of the cable, which brings me to the next point - once you've got the pins soldered to the wires, put a dab of hot glue on them. First, this keeps them insulated from each other, and second, it offers a bit of strain relief and keeps them from breaking while you're working on the rest of the cable. Then put on techflex or heatshrink, hot glue the inside of the connector (if needed), close it up, and finish the other end.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #63 of 485
I had the same issue Boomy and then went to the same technique as Juaquin. I think that once you 'break the seal' with the pins, they just don't quite seat as securely again.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #65 of 485
boomy3555: Thanks for posting the Paillics plug photos (and the Qables too - good for reference).

The Paillics insides look almost exactly like the SonicWave/Impact Acoustics plugs I bought (which are also similar to the higher-end XLO plugs according to an owner).

I posted detail pics of the SonicWave/Impact Acoustics 3.5mm plug in another thread about the Paillics plugs, for anybody interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/pailiccs-3-5mm-plug-371151/

The only difference I can see is that unique curved/rounded cover. The SonicWave cover is more of a 'normal' cylinder shape, gloss black with a gold plated ring at the cable inlet.

The other thread about the Paillics plugs didn't turn up any sources, so I picked up a 10 pack of the SonicWave 3.5mm from ProductShipToday.com for about $23.50 - anybody know how much the Paillics are?

The tight contact spacing and the lack of holes for the wires makes these more challenging to get right, especially for those new to soldering or getting by with cheap irons. A temp-controlled iron is a big help toward a solid connection. The benefit of this style is that the wires are soldered direct to the ends of the tip and ring connectors.

The plugs with holes and extended solder tabs are a lot easier to deal with but it looks like they are usually riveted to the contacts, so technically that puts another connection in the signal chain.

The ground/strain relief in all 3.5mm plugs I've seen is only riveted or crimped to the plug body, but it's easy to solder between the ground tab and plug body (avoid the cover threads) before doing any other soldering on the plug just in case.

I don't know of any 3.5mm plug bodies that are made like high-end RCAs with a solid body machined out for the ground connection. Can't think of any reason why they couldn't be made like that and they would probably sell great, at least here!

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #66 of 485
Thanks for the link. I got 12 Pailiccs 3.5's for the around 50.00 USD ( I traded a set of UE cables to a guy in singapore) The pailiccs outer shell is also solid brass and as such contributes to the ground. I found out when I dremeled the other end for my 3.5 to 3.5 shorty. One trick Hans at Qables suggested also is to rough up the shiny brass surfaces with emory cloth to help the solder flow.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #67 of 485
Found a new type, look awesome and very cheap to me. Available in both stereo and mono, screened.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/02/e6/379b_1.JPG

A 6.16mm internal diameter! Awesome.

I've got some ordered, will post some pictures once they have arrived, i got 4 for something stupid like £5, not expecting much. :p

xx

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #68 of 485
looks somewhat similar to poprad/calrad versions.. more pics plz when u get them in....

and im just a sucker for anything knurled
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #71 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radio Shack has a "Gold Series" that is very similar. It's just that Radio Shack his gotten a bad rep as having inerior products. They're getting better though. And yes, those are screw terminals ona 3.5mm (1/8")
2zegdvb.jpg
5zr1fs.jpg

I saw those at RadioShak today but they were charging 3 bux for 1!!

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #73 of 485
I've seen a bunch of 1/4" plugs (electric guitar cables) with screws, but those RS ones are the only minis with screw terminals I've ever seen. I thought I bought at least one of every audio plug RS sells, but they are new to me. Cool find.

As far as price, it's a great deal especially if someone is semi-interested in audio/cables/DIY but has limited funds, doesn't have a soldering iron/station and doesn't want to buy a lot of DIY stuff with a big question mark over their head.

Even better if you have some spare CAT5/5e/6 from a LAN laying around or 3 strands (or 6 doubled up) of small gauge insulated wire for a braid. All you would need after that is to get the wires stripped and cut to the right length. And a small screwdriver...

After making one decent 3.5mm interconnect with those RS plugs for $6 or so, you should know if your ears can appreciate better cables and if DIY is for you. That's the cheapest and easiest first step into DIY 3.5mm cables I can think of.

As mentioned, the price is right so it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a couple around for quick and easy repairs or even 'cable rolling'.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back