UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Mar 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #61 of 1,381
I seem to remember that last year everyone who was bringing mains-powered equipment brought a power strip with them. I don't know how necessary it was in the end, but it seems like a good plan this year given that power outlets may be more sparse in a village hall. A number of longer leads might be useful if we need to reach across the room. This is just going from my general impression of village halls and may not be necessary.

Equipment-wise I'll have nothing exciting: probably a laptop, HD 595s, MS-1s, RE-ZEROs, a FiiO E10 and E11 and a couple of DIY amps. If I can get the second DIY amp up and running I'd be interested to do a survey with regards to output impedance. I want to see if the current 'fashion' towards 0-ohm amps is backed up by listeners' ears...

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #62 of 1,381
Good call JoetheArachnid,

I'll post photo's of the village hall on Friday with the power outlets marked. As you say, it may be a case of a few multi-plug distribution blocks backed up by longer leads taped to the floor.

I think that DIY amps are very exciting - but perhaps that's just me.

wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #63 of 1,381
More exciting equipment news...

Mark Dolbear will be bringing the Schiit product range along, so there'll be an Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Bi Frost and probably the soon to be released "midrange" products, the Mjolnir (balanced amp) and Gungnir (balanced DAC) to audition. 

Cheers,

Andy.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #65 of 1,381

Quote:

Mark Dolbear will be bringing the Schiit product range along, so there'll be an Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Bi Frost and probably the soon to be released "midrange" products, the Mjolnir (balanced amp) and Gungnir (balanced DAC) to audition. 

Cheers,

Andy.

I'm happy with my system at the moment, with no plans to upgrade - with the exception of the DAC. The Bifrost looks like it could be a cost effective upgrade to my Little Dot DAC_I, so I'll be interested to give it a listen. Do you know if Mark will be selling at the meet Andy? Cheers.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #66 of 1,381
Sorry Saintkeat but I can't change the meet date now.

John, I'll email Mark to ascertain whether he'll be selling gear on the day.  

Cheers,

Andy. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #68 of 1,381
Interested. How much stuff I bring will be dependent on how I get there though. I don't run a car myself but I might be able to drag along someone who does.

I can at the very least bring my HiFiMan HM-801 and HM-602. Probably ATH-W1000X too and (assuming motorized transport) Burson HA-160. I also carry a pair of Radius DDM on me at all times but what's the etiquette on IEMs at these things? I don't want to be sharing ear goop with anyone...

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #69 of 1,381
jr41 

John, Mark will be selling Schiit gear at the meet. If the hall has wi-fi access or a BT Openzone network he'll accept credit cards, otherwise a cheque with guarantee card will suffice.  

nickosiris

That's a nice selection of great gear you've got there.

Regarding IEM's and the unhygienic prospect of sharing earwax, if attendees want to try other peoples IEM's, then I'd suggest that they bring some disposable foam tips to the meet with them. 

Saintkeat

I suggest that you email Justin (sales@justaudio.co.uk) and ask whether he'd be willing to sell you an amp on a trial basis, subject to returning it in mint condition within a reasonable time if you don't like the sound. 

Cheers,

Andy. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #71 of 1,381

32bit/384kHz bit-perfect master files playback anyone? I will have an exaSound e18 DAC at the meet and am keen to listen to 384kHz high resolution music files - if I can find a website to download them from in the E.U.

Cheers,

Andy.  

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #72 of 1,381
Manufacturer update...

I've contacted Arcam and Cambridge Audio about the meet and both companies are considering whether to attend. 

Cheers,

Andy. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #73 of 1,381
That should make this a big hit and in particular people could listen to the rDAC, rPAC and the new drDock. Cambridge DAC100 and DACMagic Plus should be good to audition as well.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #74 of 1,381
vkvedam,

I really hope that Arcam and Cambridge Audio do decide to attend the meet, but nothing has been confirmed yet. 

Cheers,

Andy. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #75 of 1,381
Guys,

I've just been informed that Cambridge Audio aren't based in Cambridge anymore but have offices in London (SE1) and a manufacturing base in China.

Presumably Southwark Audio doesn't have the same kudos as their former location. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back