UFC Discussion
May 1, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #181 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact is that crocop let gonzaga pull his arms out (not good) and did not raise his arms to deflect the strikes in a timely fashion (not good.) Elbows or not, this is crocop's bread and butter ground defense. There are lots of snoozefests on the ground in the ufc, and crocop's goal on the ground is to make the ref stand them up. I don't think it was just the fact that elbows were allowed. He shouldn't have allowed Gonzaga to pull his right arm out, and if Gonzaga was too explosive to hold for long, he should have raised his arm to either deflect or cover up, elbow or punch. However, Gonzaga's strikes were landing right from the start of the fight.

Still think UFC should adopt the more accepted MMA practice of eliminating elbows to downed opponent............this would make fights more exciting and keep fighters from being severely cut as often happens with elbows used to GnP.

I don't think Pride will be eliminated, but watch for moves similar to what UFC took to blast off in growth.........more spin off TV programing and reality series etc.

Regarding Vince McMahon WWE even though he bought out competition he still runs 3 seperate programs: Raw, Smackdown, ECW each having thier own TV shows, live events, and fighter lists. To keep things interesting they often allow wrestlers to appear on other programs with cross promotion events, and PPV..........makes everyone happy.

When is UFC going to spice up the Octagon girls.......really sad now compared to Bodog

May 1, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #182 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, Hunt has a granite chin. He and Fujita have oddly structured heads that can take massive punishment, only Fujita goes down more often, but for some reason never out. I only brought jaws into play cuz thats where he got kicked. Even Joe Rogan screams, "UNBELIEVEABLE! RIGHT ON THE BUTTON!" But Crocop saying he didnt see it coming is kinda silly, he motions to block low with both hands! Maybe if he said "I dont remember anything in the 20 second period of the KO, cuz I was KO'ed" would be more suitable. Nobody remembers getting KO'ed! Great here I am contradicting myself by discussing this still!

would you really trust a color commentator's words, especially when he says it right when it occurs?
let's not base events or "facts" on a guy who is paid to commentate right on the spot. maybe if he was giving comments on the fight after seeing it multiple times, and reviewing it with other analysts and experts, we can trust his word
biggrin.gif

ok enough nitpicking for me.

on both of borat's gifs, it seemed to me that cro cop assumed it was a mid kick, instead of a high kick
but you can see on his neck and face when he realizes his mistake
the veins on his neck pops out, as he tries to prepare for the blow, while also leaning away from it
*not fact, just speculation on my part* :p

May 1, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #183 of 584
It is May 1st. As I understand it, today is when DSE officially transfers all assets of the PRIDE Fighting Championships to Lorenzo Fertitta and PRIDE Worldwide LLC. They have a lot of work to do, primarily securing Emelianenko Fedor to an exclusive contract.

The first show under the new ownership is rumored to be in July or August, and it will feature the first round of the 2007 Lightweight Grand Prix.

May 1, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #184 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by KinesongPayaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would you really trust a color commentator's words, especially when he says it right when it occurs?
let's not base events or "facts" on a guy who is paid to commentate right on the spot. maybe if he was giving comments on the fight after seeing it multiple times, and reviewing it with other analysts and experts, we can trust his word
biggrin.gif

ok enough nitpicking for me.

Well, it DID happen right in front of him, and he said this after watching a few replays from different angles. I have no idea why where exactly the kick landed has become such a big discussion, it obviously landed in the right spot. All Rogan said after the kick actually landed in real time was, "UNBELIEVEABLE!...UNBELIEVEABLE!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!" It was actually pretty funny. Leaving poor Goldberg to do all the real commentating.

May 2, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #185 of 584
they don't really have the best angles. we, home viewers get better views than the live audiences do
biggrin.gif

we may even get a better view than the fighters and referee themselves
biggrin.gif

anyway, im just talking nonsense here

rogan's commentating is fine. but when he keeps repeating the same adjectives to make the hit look good. "big bombs" even though it really wasnt, you tend to not to listen to him

May 2, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #187 of 584
I like Rogan. I think hes a cool guy. IMO other commentators in MMA are kind of just there... i'll listen to what rogan has to say for the most part.

May 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #188 of 584
Bas Rutten is and always will be my favourite colour commentator, and Josh Barnett did a great job of standing in for him while he was away, both great personalities. I also dont mind Mauro Renalo either. In the earlygoing he seemed kind of uninformed, but he got a lot better over time.

May 4, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #189 of 584
TUF 5 Series
What Dana White pulled another fast one on us last night, watched the whole show to see Corey put the smack down on that idiot Gabe Ruediger and then nothing happens.......except to see that cry baby Gabe self destruct.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I think DW did the right thing, instead of giving Corey free pass to quarter final brought Nate back for another shot. Like DW said he was the type of fighter UFC wants to have on the show, so to make up to viewers we get two fights next week..........

This reminds me of the hyped DW vs Tito Ortiz fight program that was shown few weeks ago, nothing actually happened at shows end and fight is cancelled
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

May 4, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #190 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TUF 5 Series
What Dana White pulled another fast one on us last night, watched the whole show to see Corey put the smack down on that idiot Gabe Ruediger and then nothing happens.......except to see that cry baby Gabe self destruct.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I think DW did the right thing, instead of giving Corey free pass to quarter final brought Nate back for another shot. Like DW said he was the type of fighter UFC wants to have on the show, so to make up to viewers we get two fights next week..........

This reminds me of the hyped DW vs Tito Ortiz fight program that was shown few weeks ago, nothing actually happened at shows end and fight is cancelled
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Whose a bigger idiot than Corey? As big an idiot as Gabe is, I can't wait for someone to KO Corey, most obnoxious, except perhaps for Diaz, guy on this season's show. Anyone who resorts to barking can't be anyone worth talking to...

Well, it's not the first time the show didn't have a fight, and we're getting two fights next week, so it's ok by me. A bit annoying, seeing how I watch the program for the fights and not the idiots house life, but nothing as outrageous as the Ortiz-White show.

This season is really about Pulver-Penn. I haven't seen anyone on the show yet that looks like UFC quality, this might be the biggest group of amateurs yet.

May 8, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #192 of 584
Royce Gracie announced that he will be fighting former PRIDE icon Kazushi Sakuraba at K-1 Heros/ProElite Dynamite event held at the Los Angeles Coliseum on June 2nd.

This will be a rematch of their famed fight from PRIDE in 2000 that went over 90 minutes and resulted in Royce's corner throwing in the towel. Sakuraba has also defeated 3 other Gracie family members in his career, prompting the Japanese to dub him "The Gracie Hunter".

More info about the event here.

May 8, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #193 of 584
Sweet, old school throw down. I wonder if it will be as one sided as last time.

This news actually seems "bigger" in the overall scheme of things, if it goes through: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3905&zoneid=13

This would turn quite a few heads if the fight happened, and we all know who would most likely win.

May 9, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #195 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet, old school throw down. I wonder if it will be as one sided as last time.

How funny is it that they're holding it at the LA Coliseum? That place is ginormous. This is not Japan nor is this a football game. Even the UFC wouldn't be able to sell out that place. They're not even going to have 1/3rd of that place filled.

Check it out:
seatinglaczh9.jpg

Hahaha.

For $10 and some beers, I think that could be a good time.
icon10.gif

It would be pretty cool to see Melvin Manhoef and Gina Carano
wink.gif
fight though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back