UFC Discussion
Apr 23, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #151 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find the gif of the kick...

Go here and scroll down a little. It's in slo-mo there.

Quote:

He was not in good shape when Herb Dean stood them up, while Gonzaga hardly took any critical hits. It's weird to think that if the fight had continued to the end of the round on the ground, Crocop might have made it to rd.2.

That stand-up was totally ridiculous. Gabriel was being very active in CC's guard. That had "UFC wants Mirko to win this fight" all over it. They would've never done that to Tito or Randy Couture in the same position. In that sense, it was actually pretty satisfying to see Gonzaga KO him on the feet after CroCop got some unfair help right there.

I really have had enough of Herb Dean to be honest. Guy is an MMA fighter. He of all people should know not to stand that up. He also stood up Nastula and Barnett, when Nastula, a judoka, had Barnett in side control and was being active. That's unacceptable.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #152 of 584
I glanced at sherdog and saw it, and just after saw your tiny link. Thanks, though.

I've been harping about Herb Dean's reffing for a long time, now. He always makes the wrong calls! imo.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #153 of 584
Cage Rage PPV.........
Last night on ION TV channel they had free replay of Cage Rage PPV from Wembly UK originally broadcast on SKY Network couple weeks ago. They use octagon ring just like UFC.

Saw Vicktor Belfort demolish some UK guy with no ground skills, GNP into TKO after 1-2 minutes.
Then the feature fight was TANK ABBOTT against some no name UK guy. As usual Tank comes out full steam punching non stop, and as usual if he doesn't knock out opponent in first minute he gets gassed. Other fighter then took him to mat, rolled him over like beached whale and pummelled him with TKO in less than 2 minutes,,,,,,,sad sight.

Looks like many UFC fighters sometimes fight on Cage Rage, I see some familiar names on website rooster.

Apr 29, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #154 of 584
TUF Series
Is Corey really going to fight Nate from team Penn? If he does he will destroy him in under 60 seconds, why is Pulver matching his best fighter against weakest fighter on other team.........seems to be a waste of Corey's skill since almost any fighter from team Pulver could take out Nate from what we have seem

The previews show Nate having hard time making weight, maybe he will not be able to fight Corey...........

Apr 29, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #155 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TUF Series
Is Corey really going to fight Nate from team Penn? If he does he will destroy him in under 60 seconds, why is Pulver matching his best fighter against weakest fighter on other team.........seems to be a waste of Corey's skill since almost any fighter from team Pulver could take out Nate from what we have seem

The previews show Nate having hard time making weight, maybe he will not be able to fight Corey...........

You mean Gabe Ruediger, not Nate. Nate Diaz is on Team Pulver. Corey is not their best fighter. As far as I know, he has no professional experience. He just has tremendous physical tools being so tall at 155. And Gabe is actually a semi-decent fighter, he's just an attention whore. I also think he won't make weight and there will be no fight on this week's episode.

Dana White keeps saying how this is the best TUF season yet. From what I've seen thus far, that is total horse doodie. And this season is getting the lowest ratings in the show's history.

I have avoided any spoilers so I do not know who is in the finals.

My guesses are Joe Lauzon and Nate Diaz though. Joe Lauzon has to win. He's beaten the other team's coach.
cool.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #156 of 584
Borat
Yes I meant Corey vs Gabe (not Nate, too many names to keep track)
Gabe seems very out of shape physically, Corey looks like solid muscle and has has the pit bull attitude that he will not be beaten and never give up.

Still suprised that Pulver made the match between Corey and Gabe???????

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #158 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Borat
Yes I meant Corey vs Gabe (not Nate, too many names to keep track)
Gabe seems very out of shape physically, Corey looks like solid muscle and has has the pit bull attitude that he will not be beaten and never give up.

Still suprised that Pulver made the match between Corey and Gabe???????

You can't judge the quality of fighter by his physique. Emelianenko is the perfect example of this. He is pudgy and dominates everyone.

Obviously, Gabe not being able to make weight and being a general nuisance make him seem like a bum. But he is a former WEC lightweight champion. Corey is a big question mark still. He is very raw. Jeremy Horn thinks he has potential though.

I'm not surprised Pulver let Corey have that match. Team Penn only has 4 fighters left so there aren't many to choose from. It probably came down to Gabe or Wiman, and Corey doesn't like Gabe to begin with so they chose him. Gray is a bad matchup for Corey because of his superior wrestling. And Jens is probably waiting to choose Joe Lauzon last because Joe would be favored against anyone on his team (including Jens
tongue.gif
) and they would've lost the hammer to choose the matches. My guess is he feeds Weems to Lauzon if they continue to maintain the hammer. Jens doesn't like Weems anyway and he is not a good fighter, but at that point winning the matches is not necessary for the team anymore because the first round is over. He's already used his best guys (Nate, Manny, Cole).

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #159 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know carlos newton: he took the same class i took in 1st and 3rd year in university. i twisted his nipples a few times, he knew who would have won in a fight i'm sure

Is this you?

badcarlos1vlog2.jpg

tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #160 of 584
lol awesome pic of newton and his boy. Going back to the Gonzaga/Mirko kick argument, his technique is not nearly as polished as CroCop's, but the bottom line is he landed it flush on his jaw, and Mirko blocked low with both hands and leaned right in and ate the kick. The fact that he has a tiny jaw to begin with probably didnt help matters. I think CroCop was very gun-shy in that fight, normally he uses his left straight as a counter when his opponent is stalking him, and its a devastating punch, which he used beautifully against Mark Coleman and more recently Wanderlei Silva (and to much greater effect against Silva). This will be the last thing I ever say about this fight, as I feel like I've been discussing it non-stop since it happened. I'm sure Randy was probably very pleased to realize he didnt have to fight Mirko, but since Gonzaga is still an up-and-comer, it remains to be seen what kind of threat he'll be against Couture. Even if Randy wins though, he's probably got Minotauro to worry about in the coming months, who is UFC's most recently publicized acquisition.

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #161 of 584
Here we go again
biggrin.gif

The kick hit his temple, and he was leaning away from it. I have to suspect he simply does not have a great "jaw" - or it was one of those thing where everything just happened to be lined up just right. Similar to when Randleman popped him hard, though that was on the jaw, iirc. He was definitely gun shy because of the take downs, and he still got taken down by Gonzaga off a low kick (was it?) Gonzaga was on the ball that night. I thought it was odd that crocop couldn't stifle Gonzaga on the ground, where he more or less minimized Fedor and even popped off a sub attempt or two. Gonzaga just yanked his hand free and wailed away whenever he tried hard, and crocop seemed already dazed, too slow to even deflect the blows.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #163 of 584
It seemed like Gonzaga connected primarily with elbows, which are banned in Pride. Apparently for some unknown reason Crocop didn't train for elbows (??) As for the kick, I don't think one needs to bring jaws into play, that was a huge kick and CC was already dazed from the elbows (according to himself, he didn't even really see it coming); anyone but Mark Hunt would have been KOed.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #164 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it didnt. It hit him in the jaw, and he leaned into it. Watch this video at 1:40 if you dispute this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy0UR43KiNY

I don't know if it was just the crappy youtube quality, but it looked like he was hit in the side of the head. Also, it didn't really look like he was leaning one way or another.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #165 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seemed like Gonzaga connected primarily with elbows, which are banned in Pride. Apparently for some unknown reason Crocop didn't train for elbows (??) As for the kick, I don't think one needs to bring jaws into play, that was a huge kick and CC was already dazed from the elbows (according to himself, he didn't even really see it coming); anyone but Mark Hunt would have been KOed.

True, Hunt has a granite chin. He and Fujita have oddly structured heads that can take massive punishment, only Fujita goes down more often, but for some reason never out. I only brought jaws into play cuz thats where he got kicked. Even Joe Rogan screams, "UNBELIEVEABLE! RIGHT ON THE BUTTON!" But Crocop saying he didnt see it coming is kinda silly, he motions to block low with both hands! Maybe if he said "I dont remember anything in the 20 second period of the KO, cuz I was KO'ed" would be more suitable. Nobody remembers getting KO'ed! Great here I am contradicting myself by discussing this still!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back