UFC Discussion
May 9, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #196 of 584
I got $10 on Manhoef! His fight with Cyborg Santos was the funniest fight ever, both dudes just ran outta gas, it was great. Nothin like an old school vs. old school fight. Too bad Bas never got his hands on ol' Rickson. Youre right though, theres not a hope in hell theyll sell that place out, or even come close. Too bad, not enough people will get to witness Royce getting completely owned once more before calling it a career.

May 10, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #197 of 584
Liddell vs Jackson
Jackson vs Shogun

In case you have not seen Liddell get thumped by Rampage at Pride event here is youtube video.
Also to see how Jackson can be thumped look at his fight with Shogun also at Pride.......just like recent Anderson Silva domination of Rich Franklin, Muay Thai knees to the chin can chop anyone down to size

I will go to local Hooters to see UFC PPV this month live, But still think Liddell get beaten again by Rampage

May 10, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #198 of 584
Actually, Jackson's ribs were broken after a fluke knee caught him wrong. His corner didn't pay attention to his condition (he was making eyes at his corner something fierce) and so didn't throw in the towel, making Jackson take a beating he shouldn't have. Jackson changed training teams afterwards. Not that he's been "himself," lately, although he did well in his first UFC fight. I can see Chuck winning, though. You never know when guys with heavy hands fight.

May 10, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #199 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, Jackson's ribs were broken after a fluke knee caught him wrong. His corner didn't pay attention to his condition (he was making eyes at his corner something fierce) and so didn't throw in the towel, making Jackson take a beating he shouldn't have. Jackson changed training teams afterwards. Not that he's been "himself," lately, although he did well in his first UFC fight. I can see Chuck winning, though. You never know when guys with heavy hands fight.

Rampage took tremendous amount of punishment from Shogun......how many knees did he take in that video
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes Liddell could catch Rampage with KO punch at anytime, but he is playing right into Rampages strength......Rampage would love to trade punches with Liddell again for rematch

May 10, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #200 of 584
His rib was cracked very early in the fight, but his corner failed to observe his signals to them. I'd like to see a rematch with Shogun. I've seen Shogun lose, it's not impossible
tongue.gif

May 10, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #201 of 584
TUF 5 Series
Tonight DW must "man up" and give us two fights because of that sorry episode they wasted our time with last week..........we will finally see if Corey has the bite to go with his bark

May 10, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #202 of 584
Quote:

His rib was cracked very early in the fight, but his corner failed to observe his signals to them. I'd like to see a rematch with Shogun. I've seen Shogun lose, it's not impossible
tongue.gif

Not in 2005 you didn't.

Best.Year.Ever.
wink.gif

Mauricio had arguably the single best year anyone has ever had in MMA in '05. He was insane. He fought with this reckless abandon in every fight and it worked. Big wins over Minotoro, Arona, and Rampage to win the MWGP.

shogunlv9.gif

Badass.

He fights more cautious now choosing to use his jiu-jitsu more. He's still one of the most exciting fighters, but in 2005, he was incredible.

His loss to Babalu was really early in his career right after he started in Vale Tudo. And that loss to Coleman by doctor's stoppage was the freakest of accidents. Mark goes for a double-leg and Shogun breaks his elbow? C'mon!
icon10.gif

Shogun and GSP are the future of mixed martial arts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TUF 5 Series
Tonight DW must "man up" and give us two fights because of that sorry episode they wasted our time with last week..........we will finally see if Corey has the bite to go with his bark

I think Corey will probably win. Not because he's a great fighter, but because he is a poor matchup for Emerson. Rob showed in his fight with Nate Diaz that he cannot handle a tall striker. He wasn't able to adapt, plus he cannot take fights to the ground.

I'm looking forward to Joe Lauzon's fight with Geraghty more. Curious to see if Joe lives up to his potential. Interestingly, Joe didn't need to do this show to fight in the UFC. They offered him a fight with Spencer Fisher after Joe KO'ed Jens Pulver at UFC 63. But he was also offered a spot on TUF5 and his management thought that would be better overall for his career.

May 10, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #203 of 584
Don't forget his fights against Overeem. Both times he was dominated in the standup. In the first fight, Overeem mysteriously gassed, in the second fight, he got lucky with that punch on the ground. He's really good and fun to watch, but he's not invincible.

May 10, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #204 of 584
Quote:

Don't forget his fights against Overeem. Both times he was dominated in the standup.

I wouldn't say "dominated", but yeah, Overeem is a Dutch Thai Boxer so his stand-up is good. Plus, he really should be fighting at HW. He's huge. Shogun's fights with Alistair were similar to his fight with The Snake. Shogun had trouble closing the distance because they are both really tall so he took them to the ground and finished them.

Like I said, he does not fight cautiously. He moves into striking distance and then just puts up his hands. He never attempts to dodge strikes which gives his opponents chances to hit him. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but he's never been stopped.

Quote:

In the first fight, Overeem mysteriously gassed, in the second fight, he got lucky with that punch on the ground.

Mysteriously gassed? That's Alistair Overeem! That's what he does in every fight.
biggrin.gif
And "lucky"? You've never seen Shogun attempt diving punches into someone's guard? I know Alistair has, because Shogun tried it just seconds before trying it again and connecting. That's not "lucky". Alistair should've known that was coming. He just saw it. How about the follow-up GnP after the diving punch? He looked like Fedor.

You could say Alistair was "dominating" Chuck Liddell in their fight in 2003. But what ended up happening? Chuck blasted him with an overhand right. Game over. Who cares if you look pretty good in the beginning of a fight if you end up mounted and eating punches to the face, or worse, out cold.

There's a reason I didn't mention Overeem. He is not a great fighter. One impressive win over Kharitonov. That's it.

Quote:

He's really good and fun to watch, but he's not invincible.

Sure, nobody is really. Not even the great Emelianenko. But he's had great success and it is not by accident.

At 205 the only fighter I would favor over him is Liddell. And it wouldn't be an upset either way.

May 10, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #205 of 584
I think my point is that Overeem isn't THAT good, and he gave Shogun a run for his money
tongue.gif
And yeah, that punch on the ground was lucky
smily_headphones1.gif
If only Overeem didn't gas...Actually, it's kinda fun trying to guess if/when Overeem will gas.

May 11, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #207 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TUF 5 Series

Show last night was a dud even with 2 fights.........Corey was not impressive at all, the macho barking was just a little french poodle yipping and not a pit bull as he wants us to think, he will get beaten next round, just stood there like a deer in the headlights afraid to do anything aggressive, yawnnnnnnnn

Joe Lauzon was very impressive, looks like he could win it all....

May 11, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #208 of 584
Worst decision I've seen in all 5 seasons of the show. I had it 2-0 Emerson, and thought he won the third as well. Awful decision. As I suggested, Cory was a bust. It's always the jerk with the loudest mouth that can't back it up.

Lauzon is a cut above the rest of the cast, with Nate and Manny a bit behind. The rest of the cast is nothing more than amateurs. This season has been very disappointing.

It really pisses me off that even thought they found out that Cory had no fight experience, they let him on the show anyway. There had to be tons of semi-qualified guys chomping at the bit to get this opportunity, and Dana lets this guy on the show? Bad decision, and it shows in the sub-par quality of this season's fights and competition. Lauzon is going to walk right through this comp, and the only interesting fight of the entire season will be Penn and Pulver.

May 11, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #209 of 584
i don't so much disagree with they putting cory on the show, after all a 6'4" 155lb guy brings something unique to that weight class.

i also thought emerson won the fight though, he was able to close the gap more often then not and land a shot, got in some great leg kicks, and was able to avoid getting hit by corey for the most part, and well as prevent any takedown attempts, corey might have some potential, but its obvious that he doesn't have the experience that the others have, and i think it'll hurt him in future fights, i think Joe would demolish corey if they fought

i just don't know why emerson didn't throw more leg kicks, almost everyone he threw landed and was obviously doing damage, throwing a few more would have really solidified a win rather then putting it in the judges hands, simply because neither fighter was that convincing

after last nights fight though, i think Joe is going to take it all this season, he looks like he's the real deal

May 11, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #210 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after last nights fight though, i think Joe is going to take it all this season, he looks like he's the real deal

Lauzon does look good.......and he has already beaten his team leader Gens Pulver at UFC PPV event! Is this the tail wagging the dog
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Bad news for team Penn.....they used up thier best fighter, and even though Lauzon won team Pulver has the hammer and chooses next fight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back