TTPOD T2 Hybrid iems
Jan 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #466 of 1,206
What happens if you were to block those vents? Sounds change of course but can you damage anything?

Will try it with a tiny piece of masking tape :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #467 of 1,206
What happens if you were to block those vents? Sounds change of course but can you damage anything?

Vent ports are meant to help the drivers move air. As the air is moving, it creates sounds. So it is depend..covering up a vent usually make the bass less boomy, as the drivers can't move enough air, and bass needs a lot more air to move. If the drivers has not enough air to even move..your pairs will sound muddy, and like a mess.

The same as opening up a vents too big. There will be disminishing return, as the drivers move air to the vent too much, part of what you are supposed to hear will leak through it, hence you will have reduced sound quality.

In the T2 housing design, there seems to be enough air to move these drivers without the need of 2 ports. My guess is that if you cover up the vent closer to the BA, you will actually have more bass, and if you cover up the vent at the dynamic driver. You will have more trebles .... .? Just guessing.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #468 of 1,206

wow way too pop my bubble........ i was gonna tell you guys that on my first impression video!

thats what i meant with my earlier statement about "i'm looking at you t1e owners"
the bump up the bass quite bit more, i tried putting scotch tape on the Vent #1, and Vent #2.

i haven't tried it separately... but obviously blocking the vent increased the isolation more, so play with that to your heart's content.

I'll have to do more testing to see what blocking the vent #2 will do.... it does compress the soundstage with both blocked i would say. its more open in its stock form
How come there is no reviews already ?....

How is the sound and the reviews Tom

they just came out!! wheres the patience on head-fi?!

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #469 of 1,206

Wow, I didn't even notice that second vent.  Right on man!  I can actually see a metal casing of the dynamic driver right through that pinhole (with magnifying glass of course!).  I still think the isolation is average relative to a few dozen of IEMs I have on hand, but than I'm using largest size eartips that seal my ears like earplugs anyway, and I'm nowhere near subway or public bus to test it out.

haha i'm using the blue ACG mediums, which tips are you using with them?

not a fan of the reds so far, but the quality of the tip is good! it doesn't feel as cheap as the other "budget" earphones (but these aren't necessarily budget) so i guess thats why too

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #470 of 1,206
Vent ports are meant to help the drivers move air. As the air is moving, it creates sounds. So it is depend..covering up a vent usually make the bass less boomy, as the drivers can't move enough air, and bass needs a lot more air to move. If the drivers has not enough air to even move..your pairs will sound muddy, and like a mess.

The same as opening up a vents too big. There will be disminishing return, as the drivers move air to the vent too much, part of what you are supposed to hear will leak through it, hence you will have reduced sound quality.

In the T2 housing design, there seems to be enough air to move these drivers without the need of 2 ports. My guess is that if you cover up the vent closer to the BA, you will actually have more bass, and if you cover up the vent at the dynamic driver. You will have more trebles .... .? Just guessing.

Hmm.. ideally I'd want isolation but if the sound gets changed negatively I'll leave them alone. Of course no vent blocking/playing around will be done until these are well burned in (72-100hrs).

And now the waiting game continues.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #471 of 1,206
You forgot purses.....

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #472 of 1,206

haha i'm using the blue ACG mediums, which tips are you using with them?

not a fan of the reds so far, but the quality of the tip is good! it doesn't feel as cheap as the other "budget" earphones (but these aren't necessarily budget) so i guess thats why too

Using the largest red tips, sealed like earplugs!

Btw, while keeping vents open, what do you think of soundstage?  I find it to be just average in width and slightly below average in depth, creates a more intimate space.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #473 of 1,206

Btw, while keeping vents open, what do you think of soundstage?  I find it to be just average in width and slightly below average in depth, creates a more intimate space.

i don't have too much time on them so far, but i think its not bad! 

i think its decently open, *edit brain freeze there*  i actually its a bit intimate like you said. especially the midrange female vocals sound like their whispering to my ears.

you guys can quote me here "the ttpods t2 don't have the WOW factor the ttpod t1e have in their bass and good clarity but i think their cleaner in the midrange, more detailed, and better extended in the treble. 

the bass here can be played around with the taping the vent (maybe even poke a small hole after taping it over) to titrate the bass down to your preferred level.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #475 of 1,206

ahh i see what you mean now, 

still though the blue tips with the wider bores i think opens it up more, the reds for me anyway don't sit well for 1 ( with the t2s) and 2 i think it compresses everything a bit more. 

been tip rolling a bit lately, tried the blue, red and the foams included, a pair of very wide jvc xplosives, tried the brainwavz m1 (big flange), and the small (orange)

currently the blues work out the best for me now, its not as WIDE as some of the ones i've listed but not as narrow as the reds (i haven't tried sony hybrids in my typical mediums) worried it'll stretch out one my favorite eartips =(

but i think i might steal the reds for another earphone i have.....hehe... yes they will serve nicely

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #476 of 1,206
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #477 of 1,206

Thanks twister. This was an awesome review. One of your best. You also saved me $90.00, because your description of the T2 sounds eerily familiar with another budget hybrid that got a lot of pregame hype, but failed to live up to the anticipation (the Astrotec AX-35). Both were smooth, lacked detail retrieval, and had average soundstage, which in my opinion was its downfall. I think people wanted a budget hybrid that had punchy bass, but with the glorious details you get from a BA. When you fail to deliver on those two basic qualities, then you have failed to deliver the quintessential "budget hybrid King" everyone is waiting for. My hopes now fall with the T2 pro, which with the highs controlled a bit (it can happen with a TWFK knowles, because Ultimate Ears did it with the UE 700), and some decent punch in the bass area, will probably be closer to what us headfi aficionados dream to get from a budget hybrid?

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #478 of 1,206
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #479 of 1,206

+
Thanks twister. This was an awesome review. One of your best. You also saved me $90.00, because your description of the T2 sounds eerily familiar with another budget hybrid that got a lot of pregame hype, but failed to live up to the anticipation (the Astrotec AX-35). Both were smooth, lacked detail retrieval, and had average soundstage, which in my opinion was its downfall. I think people wanted a budget hybrid that had punchy bass, but with the glorious details you get from a BA. When you fail to deliver on those two basic qualities, then you have failed to deliver the quintessential "budget hybrid King" everyone is waiting for. My hopes now fall with the T2 pro, which with the highs controlled a bit (it can happen with a TWFK knowles, because Ultimate Ears did it with the UE 700), and some decent punch in the bass area, will probably be closer to what us headfi aficionados dream to get from a budget hybrid?

Yeah, +1 man! Saved me the Amazon try & return. The T1-E comparo was helpful. Doesn't seem like what I'm after as far as sound goes, and I already like cable down more anyway. Looks like it will be the Duoza for me when availability in the US comes!(hopeful) :D

But I have to hand it to TTPOD a mid-centric hybrid with an awesome cable & looks/design(imo) has got to be a niche for some people!

Oh, and cheers on finishing that review supa fast cause some were rushing you, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back