TRINITY - DELTA HYBRID V II
Dec 2, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #421 of 489
Appreciated, @pedronet and @Howlin Fester! Amazing how agile Trinity is in listening to customer feedback and updating its products accordingly. Do you know when the preorders are ending for the Atlas Delta? Couldn't find this info anywhere. I have some pending paypal funds I'd like to use for the pre-order but if it ends soon I'll use another form of payment. Thanks.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #422 of 489
Appreciated, @pedronet
 and @Howlin Fester
! Amazing how agile Trinity is in listening to customer feedback and updating its products accordingly. Do you know when the preorders are ending for the Atlas Delta? Couldn't find this info anywhere. I have some pending paypal funds I'd like to use for the pre-order but if it ends soon I'll use another form of payment. Thanks.

I think they are supposed to ship by the end of the month. It should say at the bottom left of the order page on the Trinity website. They will probably end the pre order right before they start shipping. That's what they have done in the past.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #424 of 489
I've owned both.  I have the vyrus and had the delta vII, but had to return it due to fit (bought the atlas delta).  

If price isn't a matter, the choice is hands down the delta vII/atlas delta.  It is just a better IEM in every way (bass, mids, and treble), and the price reflects the improvement and step up from the vyrus.

I don't want to discourage you from buying the vyrus.  I enjoy the vyrus very much.  It is very good for the price.  And I like it's small size and being able to easily use it anywhere and anytime.

The vyrus and delta vII have a somewhat similar sound.  Both are v-shaped, though the vyrus might be a little more, they are quite close.  I'd say the vyrus is a good introduction to the the sound of the delta, but the delta really crosses defining thresholds of detail, overall balance, and overall experience of the music and sound.

The delta performs substantially better with the upper frequencies, but that's because of the BA it uses, which is the main difference between the vyrus and the delta vII sound.  The BA gives you beautifully balanced sparkle that even the higher priced IEM's from trinity audio haven't matched yet. Both IEM's have satisfying lower frequencies that are quite nice.
Anyone who owns both delta v ii and vyrus? Which one of them performs well?(lows, mids and highs)

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #425 of 489
I've owned both.  I have the vyrus and had the delta vII, but had to return it due to fit (bought the atlas delta).  

If price isn't a matter, the choice is hands down the delta vII/atlas delta.  It is just a better IEM in every way (bass, mids, and treble), and the price reflects the improvement and step up from the vyrus.

I don't want to discourage you from buying the vyrus.  I enjoy the vyrus very much.  It is very good for the price.  And I like it's small size and being able to easily use it anywhere and anytime.

The vyrus and delta vII have a somewhat similar sound.  Both are v-shaped, though the vyrus might be a little more, they are quite close.  I'd say the vyrus is a good introduction to the the sound of the delta, but the delta really crosses defining thresholds of detail, overall balance, and overall experience of the music and sound.

The delta performs substantially better with the upper frequencies, but that's because of the BA it uses, which is the main difference between the vyrus and the delta vII sound.  The BA gives you beautifully balanced sparkle that even the higher priced IEM's from trinity audio haven't matched yet. Both IEM's have satisfying lower frequencies that are quite nice.

Thanks for the reply mate! :) Never regretted preordering the atlas delta because of your impressions about that iem, I'm just curious how vyrus is compared to delta. Thank you so much! :)

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #426 of 489
Thanks for the reply mate!
smily_headphones1.gif
Never regretted preordering the atlas delta because of your impressions about that iem, I'm just curious how vyrus is compared to delta. Thank you so much!
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy to make the impression public
tongue.gif

The filters are better tuned for the delta.  The dampeners don't suppress as much on the delta.  The little extra dampening was something mentioned in the reviews of the vyrus that I agree with.  Despite the extra dampening, the vyrus still sounds really good.

In the vyrus there is a little bit of an upper midrange prominence that is significantly noticeable, but not anything bright.  But this is the funny part about it:  This prominence (I won't quite call a spike) is almost like this congestion of upper midrange that opens up with the undampened purple filters because you get this really nice balance in the undampened purples.  I am treble sensitive and the use of this treble filter works great for me.

But I can't really enjoy the filters of the vyrus like i can the delta.  For me the delta was several IEM's in one and I could basically listen to all the filters with their own unique enjoyment.  

With the vyrus I am kind of stuck with gunmetal or the purple, But I don't want to depreciate the vyrus because a person is going to find at least one filter they will really like, which is the basic concept of using these filters: They are not meant to necessarily be all enjoyed, but used to hone in on what sound you prefer most, BUT  this is where the delta surpasses that expectation and really provides several optimal sound signatures that are just as easily enjoyable with varying preferences.  With the vyrus I will stick with the purple unless I need to use if for class lectures online, and then I can switch to the gunmetal.  But with the delta, I would choose a different filter based on how I was feeling that day and get to really enjoy something different.  

The one thing I hope @Bobtrinity does with the atlas delta is provide long enough filters like the sabre came with so that a proper fit and seal can be obtained with the over ear/ negative profile design.  Heck I wouldn't mind buying them separately as long as they were available because when I tried the pm4 it was too difficult to get a decent seal with the shallow/short filters.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #427 of 489
While I'm waiting for the Phantom Air, I ordered the Atlas Delta with BT.  I sure hope that I don't misplace the BT module that arrived right away while I'm waiting for the Atlas to ship...

The recent post has me mildly concerned... Noise Isolation is VERY important to me.  What's with the "short filter" issue? Is that going to be a problem with either the Atlas Delta OR the Phantom Air? Or is it no longer a problem?

ALSO... I see that Trinity posted on their site something about changing cables. Is there any more info about that? How's that going to affect me since I already received my plug-in BT module but the Atlas Deltas haven't shipped yet and COULD come under that new cable "thing"? TIA

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #428 of 489
While I'm waiting for the Phantom Air, I ordered the Atlas Delta with BT.  I sure hope that I don't misplace the BT module that arrived right away while I'm waiting for the Atlas to ship...

The recent post has me mildly concerned... Noise Isolation is VERY important to me.  What's with the "short filter" issue? Is that going to be a problem with either the Atlas Delta OR the Phantom Air? Or is it no longer a problem?

ALSO... I see that Trinity posted on their site something about changing cables. Is there any more info about that? How's that going to affect me since I already received my plug-in BT module but the Atlas Deltas haven't shipped yet and COULD come under that new cable "thing"? TIA

If there is a change in cabling and your Bluetooth lanyard is not compatible, do not worry the customer service is fantastic and they'll get it fixed.
It does appear that Atlas Delta is going to have the new cabling system. While I can't tell you 100% what Bob and Jake will do, I suspect they will just send you an updated Bluetooth module to make things correct.

The one thing I would not worry about is the customer service. If there's an issue they fix it

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #429 of 489
It does appear that Atlas Delta is going to have the new cabling system. While I can't tell you 100% what Bob and Jake will do, I suspect they will just send you an updated Bluetooth module to make things correct.
Thanks. I'm reading about all the changes in the other Trinity thread. Lots of changes and I haven't even received an IEM yet :)

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #430 of 489
I looked at my hardly used bluetooth lanyard this morning and thought: hmm, I'll contact trinity about wanting to return it, a partial refund would be nice but otherwise: no worries, my bad for waiting too long to contact them (not within 14 days). Got a fast response (does Bob have clones? where does he find the time!) and I can send it back for a full refund
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Love this company: no hassle, customer first, great gear
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #431 of 489
Delta V2s broke, out of warranty and have been discontinued. Was hoping to get another pair as the detachable cables along with being able to wear them down comfortably were pretty big advantages for me, as the original Delta had issues with the left side dying on me after a while. Not really sure what to do, need something to replace them ASAP (Before Christmas ideally..) 

:frowning2:

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #432 of 489
Delta V2s broke, out of warranty and have been discontinued. Was hoping to get another pair as the detachable cables along with being able to wear them down comfortably were pretty big advantages for me, as the original Delta had issues with the left side dying on me after a while. Not really sure what to do, need something to replace them ASAP (Before Christmas ideally..) 

:frowning2:

Shoot me a pm and I will sort something for you.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #434 of 489
Trinity Delta VII vs Audeze LCD-XC silly experiment.

Intro & Delta Equipment setup:
For the past six months or more, I’ve been listening pretty much exclusively to the Delta VII on this setup.  320MP3 normalized at 90dB > ipod Nano > Fiio LOD > RSA Predator med gain ~1200Hrs > Delta VII gunmetal filters.  I listen to it at my desk, throw it in my pocket for my son’s hockey practices and games, and listen to it at night with the lights out before falling asleep.

Lately I have just been blown away by the full rich sound of this setup.  The bass is tight, rich full and just provides a visceral impact.  Sometimes I just have to stop working, look out the window and just listen in the moment.  Last night I was listening to Three Dog Night’s song “Never Been to Spain.”  It starts with Cory Well’s beautiful vocals with a very open sounding atmosphere, and a deep bass line.  Left channel has a beautiful and understated guitar licks.  Simply gorgeous.  Try listening to this in the dark with your eyes closed.  Good Times/Great Oldies!

Why?
I’ve been reading a lot about different closed cans lately and I own a number of closed cans.  Today I decided to branch out and change things up at my desk and plugged in my Audeze LCD-XC closed planar magnetic headphones to my iPod/predator rig.

I wanted to give some impressions on how that worked out and tell you how the Delta VII compared to the LCD-XC cans.  (Silly experiment, I know.)  Equipment setup is the same and songs are the same.  Differences are Delta VII with medium gain and LCD-XC (Wywires red cable) with high gain on the Ray Samuels Predator.  Of course I’m not level matching except by ear and feel.  i.e. what sounds good for the song, not too loud but not too low, and does the atmosphere/feel make me turn it up or down.  I will say that Delta VII on medium gain didn’t pass 10:00 level with normal being at 9:00 to 10:00, and LCD-XC high gain normal is 11:30 or 12:00.  (zero volume setting is at 7:00 and Max is at 5:00.)  So it was definitely driving the LCD-XC to adequate levels.  Read up on the Predator if you have questions about its power and authenticity. 

About my Music:
Most of my listening is smart playlists of my favorite music.  That is why I use the iPod.  It has the best tracking of when you play your music and I can make smart playlists of 4 & 5 star rated songs that I haven’t heard in weeks/months/years.  I get a great variety of songs I love and each one is a surprise.  I do have FLAC files, FLAC players, Vinyl, etc.  But this will pertain to 320 CBR MP3 normalized to 90dB with program MP3Gain.  All ripped from 16/44 CD with dB Power Amp to FLAC then converted to 320.  These songs were chosen because they were next in line in the playlist.  Some I’m very, very familiar with, and some are newer to me.

Songs and Eval:
Concrete Blonde – Joey – Live in Brazil.  I started my listening today with Joey on the LCD-XC.  I just expected to throw on my cans hit play and roll.  But going through the song, all I could focus on is how “shouty” Johnette Napolitano’s vocals were.  Now I have never really thought Johnette ever sounded Shouty.  So I decided to switch back to the Delta VII.  I listened to the track again, and heard how great and sultry her voice sounded.  Everything was there and balanced just right.  Winner Delta VII.

Judas Priest – Some Heads are Gonna Roll – Defenders of the Faith.  (Expanded tracks/remasterd, but NOT the 30th anniversary edition.)  Opening of Some Heads are Gonna Roll has wonderful, wide, reverby guitars.  The LCD-XC presents this in a spacious and glorious manner.  The guitar crunch through the whole song is just fabulous and it sounds absolutely right.  Halford sounds glorious.  The Delta VII sound a little more congested and closed in.  But of course they are in ear monitors.  Winner LCD-XC.

Eddy Smith – Stranger (Since I’ve been loving you) – Blues Magazine 27 cover CD.  Starts with piano and male humming.  Then to a whiskey soaked raspy vocal.  LCD-XC give it a great wide open feel.  Bass comes in with authority.  Good sound for a song I’ve not heard very often in my rotation.  On the Delta VII, it provides a very intimate presentation.  Great dynamics.  The first minute is the piano and humming/singing with a single strum guitar accents.  At about a minute, the bass kicks in.  Winner = Tie.

Badlands – Winter’s Call – Badlands S/T Album.  I have absolutely loved the Jake E. Lee and Ray Gillen project Badlands since it came out in 1988.  This album is one of my favorites.  The opening soft part of the song sounds great on the LCD-XC with great space and reverb.  But once it starts to rock out, I find that Ray Gillen sounds shouty this time and the Delta VII gives the best sound this time.  Simply smooth and comfortable the whole way through.  Winner Delta VII.

Judas Priest – Diamonds and Rust – Rocka Rolla. Great example of how NOT random the apple random song generator is for playlist generation.  This is an older recording with dubious mixing.  On the LCD-XC, the Bass sounds a little bloated.  Guitars are recessed in the background.  I think this is really a showcase for Rob Halford.  The acoustic guitars in the bridge sound probably the best of all the instruments along with Halford’s voice.  Everything else is just mediocre.  Last verse, Halford is a little bit sibilant.  On the Delta VII, I’m hearing the same bloated bass, recessed guitars but Halford is not as much in the front.  More balanced.  The acoustic guitars in the middle feel wider and not as up-front.  No sibilance in the last verse.  I love the song, but the recording is just a mess.  Originally I had this a tie, but I think the edge goes to the Delta VII because of the sibilance reduction.   Winner Delta VII (small margin.)

Allman Brothers – (I’m Your) Hoochie Coochie Man – Dreams disc 2.  On the LCD-XC, the snare drums and Greg Allmans voice sound just right.  You can hear the air and space around the drums.  But the first solo (in the left ear) is a little shrill and grating.  Other solos aren’t near as hot.  For an older recording, the LCD-XC brings this to life.  The Delta VII don’t give it the life that the LCD-XC does.  Winner LCD-XC.

Merle Haggard - Think I’ll Just Stay Here and Drink – 20 Number One Hits.  I’m not a country music fan in general.  But my father was a singer in a Country/Western & Oldies band in the 80s.  Some of those songs (very few) just make me happy to hear them.  While finalizing this write-up, this great old tune by Merle Haggard popped up.  On the Delta VII, it just makes me want to smile.  Merle Haggard’s wonderful, timbre filled voice starts off the song.  All of the ensemble band are represented, clear, well mixed, full, balanced.  Just sounds glorious on the Delta VII.  I had to try it out with the LCD-XC.  The full size cans sound good, but bring Merle more forward.  I don’t get the drum slam effect that I’m getting from the Delta VII.  On the LCD-XC, everything is there but all the instruments seem to be more in the background.  It presents each part up front when it is that instrument’s turn.  Example, Merle singing, the guitar solo, piano solo, sax solo, etc.  To me the Delta VII presents it in a more equal manner across all of the instruments.  Reminds me of Motorhead’s saying Everything Louder than Everyone Else.  The Delta VII presents everything loud, equal, in your face, and just right!  Winner Delta VII.

Results of my experiment.  7 songs of various age/production/genre.  Delta VII vs LCD-XC.  Delta wins by a score of 4-2-1.  I ended up just keeping my Delta VII ear buds plugged firmly in my ears while finalizing this write up.  (But then had to add the Merle eval.)

I am not (in any way) going to say that the Delta VII are better than the LCD-XC.  Two totally different pieces of equipment.  But I will say that I can get just as much enjoyment out of these lovely little iem as I can out large cans.  I’ll try this again sometime with some of my other cans.  And of course with the Hunter and Atlas Delta when I get them.

Enjoy your music.

Honorable Mention:  Check these songs out on your Delta VII
Cry of Love – Brother – Brother.
Rush – The Trees – Hemisphers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back