Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #4,081 of 6,404
How is the build quality on these? can I sleep with them, wake up and find them in good condition under my back? 
Didn't work out with my UE900 hahaha

And how would you rate the Soundstage. Is ist comparable to the UERM?

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #4,082 of 6,404

What if I A/B'ed them both out of the Decaware CSP2+, HeadAmp GS-X MKII, Cavalli Liquid Glass, with some killer DACs like the Rega and Oppo players?

Eke, i have Oppo BDP95, which in my humble is just average. I had Rega DAC which is good but nothing to rave about, believe me both these are NOT killer DACs. i have Naim CDX2 which easily bests both by a long mile.

now i have Metrum Octave DAC with AP2 PP unit and i can tell Metrum is a KILLER DAC, it easily bests many DACs and even my CDX2 is having hard time because Metrum approaches vinyl analogue like sound so close that i am having hard time to tell what source i heard which could do as good as Metrum.

so on Metrum i really can appreciate differences between FLAC and MP3, moreover i tried upsampling with Audiorvanna and concluded native resolution sounded much better, more analogue and less digitally stressed. upsampled music sounds more spacious and detailed but it adds some small digital noise which destroys the whole analogue feel.

so i am afraid you need to climb the ranks and listen to real best DACs to hear the differences. one of these can be Metrum and NAIM DACs and so you go up from there.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #4,083 of 6,404
  How is the build quality on these? can I sleep with them, wake up and find them in good condition under my back

Don't think you should do that. There is chance you will break the airhole. you might be lucky if you have over 20% body fat.
tongue_smile.gif

The soundstage is definitely comparable to UERM if not better.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #4,084 of 6,404
How is the build quality on these? can I sleep with them, wake up and find them in good condition under my back? 

It is risky if you wake up finding them somewhere else....with the cable as a g string.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,086 of 6,404
I was curious about the iPhone thing and decided to have a listen straight out my iPhone 5. The sound was pretty good, but on a particularly sibilant track, for example, listening was painful compared to my AK100/Pico Power rig. The sense of space in the recording was also much better with the texture of instruments more apparent (ie: a drum hit wasn't just a "whack" but the detail of each note is more apparent). Still, my iPhone is good and I've been using it with Sony XBA-3s for quite a while. I don't think my portable rig is really $1k better than the iPhone until I start using full-sized headphones, then the situation is considerably different.

About hi-res files though: They will cause any distortion from the DAC's filters to be pushed further out of the audible range and bypass, to some degree, the internal oversampling, along with lowering the noise floor (which is part of the net result I guess). Whether or not that really helps probably depends on the DAC. 

Now if someone could make a portable DAP that sounds as good as my main home rig....

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #4,087 of 6,404
  I was curious about the iPhone thing and decided to have a listen straight out my iPhone 5. The sound was pretty good, but on a particularly sibilant track, for example, listening was painful compared to my AK100/Pico Power rig. The sense of space in the recording was also much better with the texture of instruments more apparent (ie: a drum hit wasn't just a "whack" but the detail of each note is more apparent). Still, my iPhone is good and I've been using it with Sony XBA-3s for quite a while. I don't think my portable rig is really $1k better than the iPhone until I start using full-sized headphones, then the situation is considerably different.

Was it the exact same file on both players?

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #4,088 of 6,404

To clarify a few things regarding pricing:-

The original 1plus2 were offered at an introductory price of $980 with silver cable and $1080 with silver/gold cable for few months.

However, after the initial launch exactly a year ago, they were redesigned completely, especially internally, in November 2012. To the point that there is no semblance to the original 1plus2, in appearance and sonics. The price change reflects the redesign and are priced at $1250 and $1450. However, the original were to be priced at $1180 and $1280 after the introductory offer ceased.

Every owner of the original 1plus2 were offered the opportunity for a replacement to the redesigned 1plus2 free of charge, in which every customer took up. nk77 being the last customer to do so.

We are the only company that makes and tune our cables specifically for our earpieces, from foundry to retail product.

Hopefully this clarifies our pricing policy for the 1plus2.

Gavin

That's not how I remember things and apologies if I'm getting things a bit wrong here.

I remember quite well lee730, 1plus2's #1 fan, said that the 1p2 v1 was practically half the price of the K3003 (the latter retailing for $1,300) — lee730 kept telling people in those days (and for months on end) in many threads how much better than the K3003 the 1p2 v1 was—and at almost half the price!

When the 1p2 v2 was announced by lee730—who has always seemed to be Tralucent's spokesperson from even before day one (on 30th July 2012 and on the K3003 thread, of course, quite sometime before spkrs01 had become a "Member of the Trade" for Tralucent)—and the huge price difference, people were a little more than surprised. As far as I can remember, the difference wasn't ~$200/~$300, but a hell of a lot more (closer to double the price). I still remember AnakChan, who was not a moderator at the time of the price increase, expressing his (polite) strong feelings about such huge price hike.

It took me all of 5 minutes to find the original post:

Ok guys just wanted to add this below regarding the price ranges.

"The introductory price is $880 with SPC cable, $980 6N OCC silver cable and $1080 with a 6N OCC silver/gold cable. Face-plates of Carbon Fibre, Wood and Aluminium are included in the price

If you have cables already then just the Earpiece is $780. 

The amp is $249...we may do an introduction at $229...need to confirm.

For the IEM probably add $150 to the price when they are at full retail...but need to confirm also."

Not half, but the earpieces alone had a price almost there.

When the 1p2 v2 was announced by lee730—who has always seemed to be Tralucent's spokesperson from even before day one ...

Music_4321, i would also recommend you include an APOLOGY to Lee who always been trusted and unbiased HeadFier... it was very unpleasant to read what you wrote. i always enjoyed your posts but not the last ones here.

I agree.

music_4312: You have, since the day he first mentioned them, been calling Lee a shill, which, reasonably enough, I looked into. That you are doing so, publicly, months later (he is still here), is reprehensible. In fact, it seems like when the discussion of ANY IEM in the same price range as the K3003 comes up, I start to get complaints about your posts. So I think you owe a great many people a public apology.

First off, you're a mod AND an administrator. In fact, you're the main mod on Head-fi.
Secondly, you joined HF in Jan 2008, I joined in Dec 2008, but unlike you, I have mostly resided on the IEMs forum as you well know. You, on the other hand, have mostly resided on the full-sized forum or other high-end gear forums or the so-called "Summit-fi" forum.

My point: although you may be generally right about a number of things you've seen, you've not seen enough. Does that mean music_4321 is necessarily right? Not necessarily, but he has certainly seen a hell of a lot more posts by many more people on this forum than you have.

Have people complained in the past about music_4321? You bet! Our charming sparrow has made quite a few people pretty uncomfortable. Why? Often because he is a no non-sense type of person and has taken quite a few people to task — after so much BS that is often posted in these forum threads. By now you should also know that music_4321 has some credibility that other more likeable, friendly and very helpful members do not have. Yes, I do know this is not enough to not be a pest sometimes, uncomfortable, wrong, etc.

Anyway, I think your post was a bit wrong, a bit off the mark or simply put: 'you have not seen enough' / 'you don't know enough'. I don't want to mention other credible members, who are not a pest like music_4321 can be, but who could easily confirm some of the comments I've made — members you yourself think quite highly of, but members who also know it's not worth getting involved in this 'mess', members who also happen to appreciate music_4321, some who appreciate him a great deal, even.

You still seem to think that the K3003 is 'my baby' ("No-one can touch my baby!", says our old sparrow). If you knew music_4321 a little better, you'd know he loves his K3003s, yes, but the AKGs are not really items he feels he must defend, but music_4321 reports on some rather odd things he's seen around. And I'm sorry if I have to say this again: you don't know the whole story behind the K3003s. It'd be tedious, dead boring and a whole waste of time (for both of us) to tell you everything that's gone on there. Thankfully I'm not the 'only witness', but I'm certainly the only one who speaks up, and not only about the K3003s but about many other things I've seen in the IEMs forum.

There have been people who have genuinely disliked the K3003s and I've never, ever, had any issues with them — I really wish you were able to see that; you still seem to think that is not the case — long ago I gave up trying to tell you a little more about the 'fascinating' K3003 saga.

Anyway, I hope you do not remove this post and don't take any drastic measures against our most popular sparrow.

But, since you said I should apologise publicly to lee730 and many other people, I'll start my round of apologies this time with 3 Head-fiers (later I'll apologise to some others):

Here is my public apology to lee730, Totally Dubbed & miow.

--------------

I'd like to ask people reading this post to not comment or respond to this post and, consequently, derail this thread. PLEASE. Seriously. I will either get a response from Currawong here and/or privately.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,092 of 6,404
Now if someone could make a portable DAP that sounds as good as my main home rig....

I do but I don't sell.
wink_face.gif
  The truth is I have lost appetite for buying "better" toys, which doesn't hurt my wallet.

When I started this portable journey I allocated 5 grands as the max ceiling if needed to get where I wanted, but that was overestimated once I got into the DIY hobby and try different things.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #4,094 of 6,404
You said it wasn't worth it. Yes you said for you and IMO and those great qualifiers but IMO, for me, it didn't answer the question for him. It's a simple question and the simple answer is yes or no, with maybe a simple qualifier that while it sounds good with the iPhone it sounds even better with source x and source a. All this IMO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

At the end of the day, if you listen stationary at a quiet desk, then none of these high end things matter the same as to someone who listens only on the move. I have no idea how he plans to listen to them. No one asked him but sure have TOTL product advice.

If you fully read what I stated I said I don't think it's worth getting the IEM if you plan to just use it with an iphone because it has a lot more potential than that from the source end. But I did say the iphone 4 is still a good source if portability and convenience is a must but that there is much better available. It's not so bad where I'd say "OMG this **** is garbage!". But comparing it to my other gear it's weaknesses are very apparent. Now if I didn't have anything better to compare it to then I'd have no grounds for my opinion on the matter. I basically don't use the iphone4 for music at all. During my last sync I ended up deleting all my music on it and I'm not gonna go through the bs to reload it yet again.... BTW I'd only put mp3 on it because I don't think the phone is revealing enough to warrant the extra space lossless requires. It sound pretty much the same to me when comparing them side by side in this instance. Same goes for the Sansa Fuze.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4,095 of 6,404
  I think with an IEM of this scale they sounded pretty good from any source I tried, even the Sansa Clip+ got a session in and did them fairly proud. however, what's been said about 1Plus2 having a high ceiling really means sky's the limits when upgrading sources and cables on the unit. I think what we need to remember is everyone is at different stages in this hobby and what's required by some isn't required by others, But for those staying on less expensive source it's nice to know 1Plus2 will scale up for them if they venture down such paths.  To me they sounded just fine from the little Colorfly C3, sounded great actually, this isn't to say I wasn't aware they would go even further with an upgrade. Did I feel it was 100% required? No, no I didn't.

Well said H20. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back