Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
May 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,416 of 6,404
I am demoing 1plus2 now on tour in Europe, should i say i am impressed? That would be understatement. I spin them with RWAK and T1 amp and ... i find 1plus2 being closest to analogue like sounding IEM i ever heard, this simply so closer to vynil and bass... boy oh boy... never heard such amazing bass from small IEM, this is so powerful enveloping and damn articulate, it extends very deep but never loses grip and it gives me good shivers on some matrial.

again, forget hair spitting because this is really damn so analogue sounding i cannot believe and i compare them to my front end tube plus tree way two woofer floorstanders rig, not another IEM. the only problem is hearing them is a great spoiler because the more i listen the more i want to listen to them.

Listening continues but so far i love these small babies which seduce me so much with organic vynil like presentation, great job Tralucent.

May 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,417 of 6,404
Quote:
Each audiophile have their beliefs that fall on either side of the fence and there's nothing 1Plus2 specific about this and such topics do belong in the Sound Science.

Here lies the fundamental problem. There's no argument against believing  that something is happening, but you are influencing others when you post about the changes you perceive. Hence if the spectators decide to purchase the item, their wallets' blood is partially on your hands.

There are several threads where people wax poetic about the massive changes they notice from cables/cable burn-in, and nothing gets said. But the second someone steps up to present another side of the matter, it escalates into something that must now be moved to sound science. The 1Plus2 thread is no different.

I'm tired of the "it's just my innocent opinion" routine that so many pull when they're called out. Your opinion influences others, whether they like it or not.

May 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,418 of 6,404
Mates, pls chill, we all respect each other and disagreements are a good way to share opinions. You perhaps know who said this: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." :wink:

I respect the opinion of Anak while i am not very experienced to tell about burn in of cables, from my high end experience there is not much burn in for cables but gear and tubes can have over 200 hours of burn in before reaching full sound. if you assume burn in for cables this will take rather short time if any, and this holds true even for directional cables. IMHO

May 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,419 of 6,404
Don't get started on cable direction. It will never stop. I don't think anyone should buy a product that they can't return based on another's experience unless you know that other very well and have agreed with their assessments in the past. No one is selling anything here and Gavin has remained predictably silent for that very reason. You guys really do need to chill. Some notice important differences and in the same thread others feel it insignificant to negligible. That's enough to make a potential buyer wary enough without every thread falling into beliefs mode.
Eke, It's not 'just' my opinion. My opinion when I state something is based on my experience on the topic, not a belief derived from bias. Could I be wrong? Maybe but I don't assume price equals performance even though I have some pricey things. I don't gravitate to expense though it's, unfortunately, sometimes the final solution to frustration. I also cringe when I hear about $300 cables on $400 IEMs but when someone doesn't have budget constraints and already owns a $1k iem, who am I to say what's cost effective for him?

I have no opinion on the difference between the silver and silver/gold cable or their individual breakin. I don't see how anyone who hasn't heard both over time, could.

May 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,420 of 6,404
goodvibes :)

you know cable direction exists on some and, you will not believe it, but it can bring some quite audiable differences which everyone will notice. i have one such cable from Chord company, really i was not a believer before i changed wrong polarity to the right one and heard the result. before this i had no idea about cable directionality :-D

mind this i think you are right to suggest people are people and opinions are subjective. i have 1plus2 with two cables, one is high quality silver from Tralucent and another cable is gold-silver from the same tralucent. i note audiable changes with gold-silver which help to open a bit better mid bass and gain more air silky treble while helping tighten bass .... this is clear hearing experience i have. however cable itself does not change sound signature, it just helps bit here and there.

If you ask me i prefer gold-silver which brings me inch closer to analogue rig :)

May 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,421 of 6,404
Time to join the club now:wink: Will get both of my 1+2 and JH13 FP in a week time
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,425 of 6,404
Quote:
goodvibes :)

you know cable direction exists on some and, you will not believe it, but it can bring some quite audiable differences which everyone will notice. i have one such cable from Chord company, really i was not a believer before i changed wrong polarity to the right one and heard the result. before this i had no idea about cable directionality :-D

mind this i think you are right to suggest people are people and opinions are subjective. i have 1plus2 with two cables, one is high quality silver from Tralucent and another cable is gold-silver from the same tralucent. i note audiable changes with gold-silver which help to open a bit better mid bass and gain more air silky treble while helping tighten bass .... this is clear hearing experience i have. however cable itself does not change sound signature, it just helps bit here and there.

If you ask me i prefer gold-silver which brings me inch closer to analogue rig :)

I've had similar experiences to yours and find almost cables sound different in the right setup. Better or worse is a different can of worms and often not price or coolness related. Speaking of Chord Company. For many years I felt that their cheapest cable was the way to go if a bit of capacitance wasn't an issue. The Crysalis which is no longer made.

The 1+2 cable caught me off guard. Silver cables have tended to lean things on audition for me but it's obviously not an absolute. I found the Tralucent stock silver to have more mid presence and not upward tilted which works fab with the 1+2. An unexpected result.

May 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,426 of 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think anyone should buy a product that they can't return based on another's experience unless you know that other very well and have agreed with their assessments in the past.

In a perfect world, yes (bolded text). However, the fact is that many people base their purchasing decisions on what they read on these forums. When someone like AnakChan, a reasonably well-regarded HF'er, makes certain comments, people take note and several (perhaps many) are influenced. AnakChan, like Tyll, Jude, Currawomg, purrin, LFF, Skylab, Joker, etc., can still be wrong at times, very wrong even (I know this may seem pretty obvious, but it doesn't often seem that way from the way soooo many people tend react / respond to each pronouncement made by most of these people — just look at all those people who time and time again keep mentioning / quoting Joker to validate 'their own' impressions. Of course people like Tyll & purrin are assets to the community, there's absolutely no question about it).

Then, of course, you get plenty of people—far too many perhaps—with high-post counts (with the Headphoneus Supremus moniker) with little (or zero) credibility among those have been around long enough to know better, but who still have an influence on others because of said high post-counts, which normally comes with the obligatory use of fancy audio terms they've picked up here and there that so impresses so many people—and, unfortunately, not always just new, unsuspecting members—not unlike what we find in the cosmetics industry.

With regards to "…unless you know that other very well and have agreed with their assessments in the past…", the truth is that there's also something called group mentality, peer pressure and other psychological factors (not worth going into here) which are very real. It's very interesting to see how when people seem to get on, they suddenly happen to share the same views on gear and hardly ever disagree, and if/when they do, they disagree about fairly insignificant matters. There's more, but I'll leave it at that.

Yes, one could argue that it's the buyer's fault, at the end of the day, for not researching the product(s) in question properly — this is true to some extent, but it's not quite as simple as that. When counter arguments are not allowed, and perhaps automatically sent to the science forum, for instance, what we often get is a (heavily) biased / one-sided view of things, often by people who have become good pals and who keep agreeing on virtually everything.

Quote:

My opinion when I state something is based on my experience on the topic, not a belief derived from bias. Could I be wrong? Maybe but I don't assume price equals performance even though I have some pricey things.

Knowing you, I know that's probably true, which is a very good thing, but when you say "Could I be wrong? Maybe..", perhaps—and I don't mean this disrespectfully—you don't realise just how wrong you could actually be. I already said it's practically impossible to do a proper blind test, a comment you seemed to practically dismiss. Fine, but the fact remains that such a test conducted properly is harder than you think, ie to really be able to control the different variables at play.

Quote:

I also cringe when I hear about $300 cables on $400 IEMs..

I do, too, but just look at all those people who have purchased—and still do—very expensive aftermarket cables for their W4, SE535, etc. or for some entry-level customs. The fact remains that all this cable talk—from the believers, that is—keeps having an influence.

I already said I haven't tried the 1p2 nor the cables being discussed here, and that my limited experience with cables makes me very sceptical, though not an anti-cables fanatic.

This is my last post on the subject as I wouldn't like this thread to descend into...

May 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,427 of 6,404
Quote:
I am demoing 1plus2 now on tour in Europe, should i say i am impressed? That would be understatement. I spin them with RWAK and T1 amp and ... i find 1plus2 being closest to analogue like sounding IEM i ever heard, this simply so closer to vynil and bass... boy oh boy... never heard such amazing bass from small IEM, this is so powerful enveloping and damn articulate, it extends very deep but never loses grip and it gives me good shivers on some matrial.

again, forget hair spitting because this is really damn so analogue sounding i cannot believe and i compare them to my front end tube plus tree way two woofer floorstanders rig, not another IEM. the only problem is hearing them is a great spoiler because the more i listen the more i want to listen to them.

Listening continues but so far i love these small babies which seduce me so much with organic vynil like presentation, great job Tralucent.

Wow that new gold cable must have really changed up the sound then? With the silver cable the signature is more on the hifi/engaging side of things for me. When I used the older gold cable it had a more lush/organic sound to it but I ended up preferring the more detailed and energetic nature of the silver cable (more treble sparkle, more air, tighter bass, bigger sound stage). But this new gold cable sounds very interesting....

May 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,429 of 6,404
Quote:
That is why I want it Mimou (because they are different). But I look foward to a comparison nonetheless :). Since they are both top performers.

The 1Plus2 are more airy and have a wider soundstage. They also have more midbass punch. The overall sound is very slightly brighter, sharper, crisper (sorry for the imprecise terms).The 1Plus2 is overall faster, whith shorter note attack and decay.

The SE5 have a smoother, more organic sound, but not like the Heir sound of the 5.0 because it manages to be ultra detailed and still sound natural. It is a very strange feeling to me. It does not feel like the SE5 is pushing details forwards, but more it is granting you super hearing :) They have a more intimate presentation compared to the 1Plus2 (which could be because of the cables, but let's not get into that again). The SE5 has a lower bass rumble that I have never heard in any iem, just gives me the chills. The SE5 highs are overall smoother, but still very detailed. I would say both are equally transparent in the mids, but SE5 mids are more liquid.

Both iem are quite source dependant and scale up very well.

EDIT: Another major difference is form. SE5 are quite isolating and hard to put in and remove. 1Plus2 are not very isolating and easy to put in remove (once you have the right tips).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back