Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Aug 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #740 of 1,162
whole world of difference ,my source asus laptop/asus zenphone 5. iem : vsonic vsd3s

the sound details are brought to a whole new level,
some worlds that might have ambiguity before this are clearly distinguisable now.
however am currently wihout an amp ,it gives me the feeling of a unused potential,
because you can hear the hi fi quality however its like lack of energy.due to the high impedance of the DAC
,an amp is definitely needed to harvest its true potential.
recently just got the vsd3s+dac ,kinda broke ,only a college student :D

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #741 of 1,162
The UD120 has arrived. There were some wishes on here for this to be tested with a high-end rig. I am running it right now through the GS-X mk2 and HD800. I think that this qualifies as a reasonable challenge.

It is very early but so far I am impressed with the UD120 and quite pleased with my purchase.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #742 of 1,162
My UD120 has just arrived as well. Very inconspicous packaging, so it only got stuck in customs for a day. The windows interface isn't the most intuitive and I'm still figuring it out. So far I've noticed not all applications (like Spotify) like the device if it's set to 32 bits. Might just be the combination of bits/Hz, not sure. On the upside, it's not half-bad at driving portable headphones and certainly a huge step up from the onboard soundcard I'm stuck with at work.. very pleased so far

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #743 of 1,162
have a slight problem hoping for solution ,using usb audio player pro ,when i move the dac gets disconnected for a while and the whole app freezes only way is to restart phone ,this is kinda annoying as i bought this dac to use it on the move...

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #744 of 1,162
You have to use an memory app to kill UAPP completely as it might have some background service running and it will keep trying to detect the USB DAC that is not there.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #745 of 1,162
  The UD120 has arrived. There were some wishes on here for this to be tested with a high-end rig. I am running it right now through the GS-X mk2 and HD800. I think that this qualifies as a reasonable challenge.

It is very early but so far I am impressed with the UD120 and quite pleased with my purchase.

popcorn.gif
  That's a good sign that it's doing well with a popular amp.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #746 of 1,162
It really is quite good. It beats the snot out of the X5 in USB DAC mode as a line out source. I think a big difference is that the UD120 plugs directly into the computer USB port. That greatly reduces jitter.

It is also a big step up from the UD100 - much more musical. (I never heard the UD110.) Mechanically it is also a substantial improvement: no more stress on the USB port or the 3.5mm plug.

It is holding its own with the GS-X mk2 and HD800, an enjoyable listen with no serious flaws. This is quite a bargain for $69.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #747 of 1,162
i wished it was that easy ,apparently even after the app is killed it still remains frozen,until phone reboots tried tons of apps ,and system method to kill usb audio player.i think my phone just has compatibility issues with it ,apparently i was using that app fine for whole day and next all of this occurs ....

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #749 of 1,162
  Just wondering does the UD120 have enough power (without an external amp) to power the Creative Aurvana Live 2 Over-ear Headphones?
http://au.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-aurvana-live2

Thanks

Power comes from voltage and current. While UD120 has plenty of voltage, it is not designed to output a lot of current (as it is not designed to drive a direct load like headphone). Therefore the answer is no, it won't have the power needed to driver any headphone well.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #750 of 1,162

Power comes from voltage and current. While UD120 has plenty of voltage, it is not designed to output a lot of current (as it is not designed to drive a direct load like headphone). Therefore the answer is no, it won't have the power needed to driver any headphone well.

Thanks for the reply.
What would you recommend as a budget amp which will be enough to power the Creative Aurvana Live 2?

Specs are:
Impedance: 32ohms
Sensitivity: 105dB/mW

Planning to use it for desktop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back