Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jun 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #556 of 1,162
  Can you give me a link of the USB isolation psu combo? I want to get one for the UD110 when it arrives. If you could give me a link and or a name of the kind you got would be appreciated, and are they affordable?

Sure:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=63
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=64
with the upgraded Cardas cable:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=173

Some pix:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626632/tiny-dac-big-sound-evolved-impression-of-stoner-acoustics-ud100-ud110/435#post_10151973

I believe cost was just shy of $100 shipped to Las Vegas. It took about 2 weeks.

Also, Schiit is supposed to release the Wyrd this month. Not a lot of details, but look out for it.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #557 of 1,162
  Where you saying in this that you prefer your Nuforce Udac2 over the UD100? Because I am able to pick up the Udac2 for 60$ right now.

With my Macbook and A2 speakers the UD100 is better than the original uDAC.  But I did say that the uDAC2 and Audioengine D1 had a bigger soundstage, which was the biggest difference in this rig.  

So, the UD100 is a good match for the A2 speakers, at 1/3 the cost of the other DACs that are slightly better in terms of soundstage. My only complaint was the lack of system volume control, so I started to use the software volume control within iTunes. I use a very small rolling desk in the bedroom with my Macbook (looks like a hospital bed table but not as long), so anything bigger than the UD100 takes up valuable space, while the UD100 can just go inline between the USB port and the A2 input.

I was not using the UD100 with headphones at all, rather I used it to make my Audioengine A2 into USB compatible powered speakers, of which it was certainly the "best bang for the buck".

Nevertheless, I'm currently back to using the DACport with an ALO 1/4" to RCA interconnect going into the A2 speakers.  The soundstage is a little bigger and I like having a physical volume control. With the A2 speakers and DACport, the A2 are now the weak link in the chain.  But I can't fit my A5 speakers on my small rolling desk.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #561 of 1,162
Teralink power isolator works very well for me. I use a sealed lead acid battery to power this unit. Teralink takes DC 8V-15V so a motorcycle battery works perfectly. My SLA powers my T-amp as well. Very nice small system with Mac Book Pro running Amarra. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #562 of 1,162
I stick with my UD100. :D Very happy with it. Can't hear the difference for 16bit and 24bit tho.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #563 of 1,162
Okay, so recently I acquired the UD110 v1 from someone here on Head-fi, they had gifted it to me to help me out and it was a very awesome thing for someone to do in this community I have found out they we all (from who I have dealt with are very giving) I received it after some time due to slow post on the west coast going to the east coast(new england is where I reside).

I had already downloaded windows driver's and was ready to go and see how it sounded...only to be very very disappointed with the reason being windows kept stalling completely to where I had to do a hard boot. And then disconnect the device on start up. I was baffled I research for instances where I could find a fix, well to find out windows was corrupted and had to re buy this. Even then it refused to work and kept messing with the os. I had contacted the member who gave me this and he sent the invoice and I sent it to Stoner. They were so decent about this and told me to not worry that they had a few UD110v2's that they could send where they do not need the driver's like the V1. I told them thank you and that I would test it on my girl's pc which has the same Windows 7 ult copy as me, which it worked fine! I was awe struck on the lvl of sound quality coming from such an inexpensive device.

Over time I kept going onto my girl's pc that it got to the point she had to ban me, lol. Anyways I can gladly say I just got the v2 of the UD110 and I Am currently listening and testing sound with the Vali amp and DT 990s and Senn HD595(modded version). Sounds fantastic with both headphones and I am thrilled. I will be honest if you are looking for a inexpensive setup that has a higher audio quality go and purchase the UD110 v2 or even better the new UD120 along with a used Schiit Vali, O2, Little Dot 1+ and be awe struck with the sound coming from this(as long as the headphones permit). If you have a pair of Sennheiser HD595, 598, 580, 600 I would highly suggest getting this with the Vali.

Sorry for this story I know it is long, but it was need for me because there is most definitely not enough reviews on this unit out there... BTW I am comparing the UD110 to higher and lower priced DACs such as the ODAC, CDAC+, Fostex Hp-A3, Gamma 1 Lite, E7, Creative Recon 3d. I will say it beats out all the other except CDAC+, HP-A3, ODAC and it comes damn close to the ODAC. Yes the ODAC is even more clear and clean(CDAC+ is even better than the ODAC) but it is not a big difference, especially at the price difference. I can honestly say you would not miss the ODAC too much if any from switching to the UD110.
It has plenty of detail and transparency, the sound stage of this small sized unit is pretty honest depending on the phone and or amp you are using, the size is a huge plus for those whoe do not have a tone of desk space or a clutter of projects, peripherals, and tools on their desk(like myself). It does a very clean job and it sounds neither too neutral to sound lifeless or sterile, but it does a very decent job at being accurate. I am impressed to say the least and if you have noticed by now that I have some decent gear to compare this too... still impresses me too the point where the point when I send the review unit I was lent and am left with the UD110 v2 I will be just fine, even happy.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #564 of 1,162
  I stick with my UD100. :D Very happy with it. Can't hear the difference for 16bit and 24bit tho.

From my own ears to what I have read most people do not notice a differtence between 16 and 24 bit, and the differences between 44.1 and 96khz is more noticeable. Anyways I wanted to ask since I have used both the UD110 V1 and the V2, which I ended up getting due to incompatibility with my windows. It is only reading the ud110 v2 as 16bit ? and it does not give th option for 24 bit, and it has this option for my cdac+ and the fostex HP-A3 that I am using to review and compare.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #565 of 1,162
  It is only reading the ud110 v2 as 16bit ? and it does not give th option for 24 bit

UD110v2 is 16 and 32 bit, not 16 to 32 bit. So it doesn't support 24bit through USB, but it supports 32bit. Just set 32bit in your player (foobar for example).
I found the USB ports of my notebook docking station don't support 32bit audio (anly 16 and 24 bit), but the USB ports of my notebook function well in 32bit mode.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #566 of 1,162

UD110v2 is 16 and 32 bit, not 16 to 32 bit. So it doesn't support 24bit through USB, but it supports 32bit. Just set 32bit in your player (foobar for example).
I found the USB ports of my notebook docking station don't support 32bit audio (anly 16 and 24 bit), but the USB ports of my notebook function well in 32bit mode.

Awwwwe, I see I had not even considered that they were the same sample ratings as the ud110 v1 so that would make sense then now that I am reading it. I will do that and thanks for the heads up on that, because I should of noticed this and considered it. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #568 of 1,162
Jul 15, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #569 of 1,162
The more and more I spend time with the UD110 I come to realize the minimal differences between this unit and the one's supposedly a couple price tiers away. I have written a review after use for a few weeks, and though it is considerably cheaper that units such as: ODAC, CDAC+, Fostex HP-A3, Gamma 1, etc.  Now I am just waiting for the UD120 to be available, being that it was said to be out by Stoner in an email correspondence with myself, around July and or August. I highly suggest and or recommend this unit and or the newer one coming out soon for anyone looking in this review thread about these units....they are totally a hundred and ten percent worth paying such a small amount on something that sounds good. I have compared them to a lot of different units and it hands down beats out the e7, Udac 2, Gamma 1, and I know this is just preference but I still felt like I should share.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #570 of 1,162
  The more and more I spend time with the UD110 I come to realize the minimal differences between this unit and the one's supposedly a couple price tiers away. I have written a review after use for a few weeks, and though it is considerably cheaper that units such as: ODAC, CDAC+, Fostex HP-A3, Gamma 1, etc.  Now I am just waiting for the UD120 to be available, being that it was said to be out by Stoner in an email correspondence with myself, around July and or August. I highly suggest and or recommend this unit and or the newer one coming out soon for anyone looking in this review thread about these units....they are totally a hundred and ten percent worth paying such a small amount on something that sounds good. I have compared them to a lot of different units and it hands down beats out the e7, Udac 2, Gamma 1, and I know this is just preference but I still felt like I should share.

I agree with its value. Stoner did a great job on the UD110. I already requested an invoice for the UD120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back