Times are a changing on Head-Fi
Feb 17, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope y'all don't start to distrust newbies, or it'll be impossible for me to make my first head-fi transaction!
frown.gif

very sorry for those who have been ripped off, though- the bad thing is that there's really just nothing that can be done about it. that's the dark side of the internet. also how i lost my Nintendo DS... ugh

Nope, we were all newbs here at one stage and a few flakes don't make a storm. Caution yes, mistrust no.

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #33 of 62
I've been cheated before too, I know how that feels, especially when you gave that person special provision on payment etc.

I traded my H10 for another person's Shuffle + Cash (not on head-fi). We met up and traded but he told me that he did not have money with him, I told him that it was okay and he could pay me back sometimes later (he didn't even have the decency to give me all the accessories he promises). Sent a few PM to urge payment in a month time but he gave me boot loads of excuses and finally refuses to answer at all. I was so pissed that him that I could wish that the H10 explodes in his pants pocket.

But there was nothing I could do about it. Scammed.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #34 of 62
Sorry to hear about that Mitch. You were one of the first people to greet me when I showed up here back in 2003. Keep up the good fight.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #36 of 62
Yeah Ive noticed things here have changed too. I dont see as many new topics posted or good things for sale in the forums. I remember when this place was so small that when there was a new FOTM product, almost all of us tried it and then it ended up in the FS forums at great prices. I remember less sarcasm and more familiar screen names posting. It seems a lot slower than it used to be. Maybe we should institute a high minimum post count requirement before you can even see the 4 sale forums ala the Steve Hoffman website? Anyway Im devoted to this place and the betterment of its members and discussions.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway Im devoted to this place and the betterment of its members and discussions.

Hear, hear! I'm with you on this. I've been the recipient of the generosity and trust of a few members, and I try my best to reciprocate.

I'm sorry to read about your troubles, Mitch.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #38 of 62
I am a relative n00b, and have made a few transactions in the for sale forums. Gladly all have been good. I have only ever bought stuff, never sold anything. I tend to just put the stuff i dont use under the bed to collect dust.

Unfortunately there will always be the element that want to get something for nothing.

I think a minimum post requirment to see the for sale forums is a good idea to protect members.

There are a lot of good people on this forum. I read every day, but dont contribute half as much as others as i dont have the technical knowledge, hence my lowish post count.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #39 of 62
Don't give up there are a lot of nice people here for sure.

You know what scares me is the meets.
You guys invite us into your homes. Then share all your gear. I hope no one ever uses this generosity to steel stuff later.

I would love to have a Northern Va. Meet here on the farm, but worry about the lurkers who are looking to do no good. I think the meets at hotels are the way to go for safety.

I have had a few head-fiers ask to listen to my new amp. I say sure, but my wife worries.
Jeff (vpivinylspinner) get over here and listen to this thing now!

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #40 of 62
This is all truly sad. I've been ripped off here, but as a forum grows, as has been said, you gain the good and the bad. It's almost like saying you've never been ripped off cues one of these jerks to try.

It's funny how you don't ever see the replies from these real heroes. And when one does dare to reply, the story has so many holes in it you just feel pitty that they think people are buying it.

But for these types, the only one with feelings are themselves, and the only ones who are deserving of anything are themselves, and the only ones that can do what they want when they want is themselves. They are the ones with the strongest sense of entitlement and will cry wolf the loudest and the mere chance that the same may happen to them.

I hope what they did unto others will be done to them.

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #41 of 62
I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of a headfiers kindness when he gave me a long term loan of an RA-1. It's this kinda of friendliness that makes headfi an outstanding place. I never heard from him again which made me worry. I hope you were as happy with me as I was with you! Thank you again.

i hope you all can continue aiding the community. its a real shame that there are some straight-up jerks out there

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #42 of 62
How would this not be potentially scammed itself by someone?

Care and checking up on feedbacks are the only way i know to minimize the problem. Even then we can be taken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We should start a scammed fund.. Donate money, & give it to people who were scammed..Yes. I'm being serious.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #43 of 62
iamdone heard i needed an ety er4 p->s adapter, and sent one HE MADE to me on his dime without me even asking!

outdoorman heard i liked beer and sent me some kanon from his country again with me even asking! it was soooo good.

countless people here have helped me through tough times with a minimum of teasing.

when i talk about you all i say "my friend from new york" or "my bud in scotland said...". so my point is i consider you all good friends, and GENEROUS way beyond anyone i've met irl. i hope i never get screwed over by a friend, but i hate to admit this has happened to me in real life, a few times.

it is especially worrying when it is an old friend, or in this case, an old head-fi friend. it is terrible you guys are getting ripped off like this, i'm sorry and i hope you recover your property soon.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #44 of 62
I'm pretty new to these forums and I have to say I am really impressed with the people here. You guys are a great group. It is unfortunate that you encountered a few bad apples, but from my impressions, we are mostly very fresh Granny Smiths. (man that was a horrible metaphor)

One thread that might get your hopes back up is the "what do you do/money" thread. Browsing through those, you see a plethora of extremely hard working, honest people which make this community what it is.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #45 of 62
I'm glad to see some of the recent posts that emphasize the positive sides of Head-Fi.

Here are just a few examples that come to mind for me:

I've been a personal guest for overnight visits at the homes of at least 3 Head-Fier's (immtibiker, ServinginEcuador, and Todd), each of whom (along with their respective wives) treated me like royalty! Aaron and his wife have also spent a week with me here in Cayman. We trust each other with house keys, provide cars to drive, etc. On one trip, I practically moved in (9 nights I think it was!). Poor guy.

I've also received countless unsolicited offers from Head-Fi members, some of whom I've never met personally, to lend me gear. Some time ago, gplamer made an offer for me to be the caretaker (for a couple of months) of a rather expensive amp he owns simply because he thought I'd enjoy giving it an audition. Same goes for mrarrayo, who very recently made a similar offer (out of the blue) for a portable amp that he thinks I might enjoy. I've lent quite a bit of gear out myself, and 99% of the time, all goes well. It's always returned in pristine condition and with a note expressing sincere gratitude.

It's a great hobby that we have and the vast majority of people here at Head-Fi are indeed honest, trustworthy and "just like me" types of people (which is the way I try to evaluate any situations that arise in terms of buy and sell transactions). If you get an uneasy feeling about someone (for whatever reason) just back away from the deal. It's that easy.

Of course, nothing is iron clad, and there will always be risks. To me, it's a lot like lending money. Don't lend money to anyone unless you can be sure that the person you've lent the money to will follow through with ALL of his/her promises in terms of paying it back. If you perceive significant risks in terms of the amount, timing, or uncertainty of your future cash flows, then it's not a good deal for you to enter into no matter how much you might want to help the person in question. In that case, don't lend out more than you feel comfortable in losing.

Would I send out an expensive amp, source, or pair of headphones to a newbie? Probably not, unless there were other factors that really made me feel comfortable in doing so. But for old friends, sure, why not? For smaller (less expensive) items, it's not such a big deal, but like anyone, I absolutely hate it when I feel as though I've been taken advantage of. When you go out of your way for someone, it really sucks that they treat you like a fool and show no appreciation (or worse yet, steal from you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back