Times are a changing on Head-Fi
Feb 16, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 62
Weird. I was just thinking the same thing about something I did for a few head-fiers and taperssection members over the years.

I often get pm's asking me about how my recordings sound and the differences between the mics I own. I'll write up some lengthy replies which are typically followed by requests for sound samples. I'll take the time to pick out some songs (about a dozen) and mp3 them and fill in more info about mic placements and location then send the files off. I never hear back afterwards...not even a thank you for taking the time to send the files out (we're talking 100-200MB of mp3's).

I think some people are simply clueless to the concept of thanking other people for their time and effort. Classic management material, if you ask me.
icon10.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss, Mitch. Your a good guy, you've sold me tubes a few years back when I first got my MG head and you were very helpful. Karma is a bitch, it'll come back to bite him/her in the ass.

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 62
I don’t know why they’ve done what they’ve done. I’ve never accused them of being crooks or anything. I’m just at a loss as to why someone would repay a kindness this way.

I guess my intention is that maybe it’s just an oversight and this could remind them of their obligations.

“I guess just give in to the changes around here and stop being so damn generous.”

No I don’t think so. Can’t judge a group of people by the actions of just one or 2 people. I might be more cautious in who I donate things too in the future.

It’s just that so many people here have given so much to this community that it needs to continue. This is one of the nicest forums on the Internet. Bottlehead is the only other one I participate in that’s head and shoulders above the crowd.

Mitch

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 62
Right now I had to shoot down a deal that looked like it was going to work. The buyer asked me to ship to India and I didn't have a problem with that, so I fired off the paypal address and expected a payment and to go ship them off tomorrow. The buyer replied stating that he would pay half now and half when he receives the headphones. Well, I'm sorry but I have 0 protection if you decide to disappear, whereas if you pay the full amount now you can always file the complaint with Paypal or your CC company should something happen. Would I have shot down such a request back in 2004 after I first joined? Most likely not, reports of fraud were very rare back in the day.

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 62
Liking headphones and coming to this site doesn't require someone to be honest. I think if someone has been a long time member and they have had alot of post and their post have been mature and responsible then you can probabley trust them.

I have a buddy that I have known for a long time. He is a good guy, but if you lend him anything, you will never see that item again. If you confront him about it, he will say "oh yeah" and then return it. But he will never return it on his own. Not that people maliciously try to cheat you, they are just irresponsible people.

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s just that so many people here have given so much to this community that it needs to continue. This is one of the nicest forums on the Internet. Bottlehead is the only other one I participate in that’s head and shoulders above the crowd.

I'm glad you still hold this attitude, man. Speaks volumes of your character.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 62
Oh man that sucks... There are still a lot of honest members here though.

Can you please post appropriate feedback? You can always go back and edit your feedback comments if things get resolved.

Thanks and good Luck,
Garrett

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 62
Mbriant, that is a particularly aweful experience. If that person had any trace of honesty, I think he should have not only made sure you got the tracking number, he himself would have followed up on the shipment all the way, making sure you got your stuff back in due time and in perfect condition.

I myself have a relatively long term loan from another headfier, a Bel Canto DAC2 which belongs to Gene. He was kind enough to lend it to me after the FL meet last June. I had asked if he was selling it and how much it would be, he mentioned it was ok if it became a relatively long term loan instead of an immediate sell. I very much appreciated this generousity and trust, and precisely because of that, for me it would be completely unnaceptable to let him down in any way. I either buy the DAC from him, which is very likely, or else I would completely make sure he gets it back in pristine condition either through Fedex or from my own hands. If anything happened to the item while under my hands (or even under transit), it would be my whole responsibility and I would pay it back without even waiting for him to inquire about it. If I did any other way, in my own personal view that would be pretty much a theft crime.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #24 of 62
braillediver,

I am sorry to hear about your bad transaction. These kleptomaniacs pissed away a myriad of wonderful opportunities and a great future here on Headfi over a meager $300. Their gain, if that is what you call it, is Pyhrric at best. It is they who truly lose in this situation.

Having said that, I have faith that Head-fi can and will strive to maintain its integrity as long as we continue to use good practices and retain competent leadership (moderators and such) here on the boards.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 62
There are a lot of people in this world without integrity. In my experience, the level of integrity on this site is higher than average by a good measure. This however, tends to amplify the unethical actions of the brash few who wish to take advantage.

I just bought a GS-1 from a member- he offered to cross ship. I have good feedback, which of course serves as a degree of insurance, but this is something I would not do for anyone but the most well established member. Regardless of how things appear, lots of ebay experience keeps me skeptical.

Sorry to hear about these situations brailledriver and mbriant. I know its no consolation, but people like this eventually learn their lessons tenfold.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Mitch

I have to strongly agree with this. Like ive said before, this and one other forum i frequend are generally speaking top people. I took my first risk buying online here from another head-fi'er and was lucky all went smooth :p But i geuss you were unlucky
frown.gif
If it is the case that they took the tubes without intent to return/buy then i geuss there is always the black sheep in a crowd
frown.gif

I hope things work out.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

In the last few months I’ve sent vacuum tubes to 2 different people from Head-Fi to evaluate or buy and I’ve never heard back from the members.

It’s about $300 worth of old stock vacuum tubes. The members approached me and asked about the tubes. I went out of my way to help and provided the tubes shipped at my expense. I’ve never heard back from either individual.

I wonder if these people have a conscience? I’ll post appropriate Negative Feedback in the Feedback forum.

I post this because I wish to continue in the true spirit of support and camaraderie that Is Head-Fi. I’ve dealt with a lot of people here on Head-Fi and have been treated exceptionally well by the members up to this point. Some of the members are so generous with their stuff that it's inspiring.

Mitch

This really bothers me. A very generous Head Fier gives me tubes to try out..(Some free) & if I decide to buy them I pay him..If I don't want them I send them back.. Alex recabled my SA5000 for free.. I returned his good deed by giving my 650 stock cables to another SA5000 owner who was having break up problems.. Please, dont stop being generous & kind.. It's what makes this site so special.. Just be more careful.. We should start a scammed fund.. Donate money, & give it to people who were scammed..Yes. I'm being serious.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mbriant, that is a particularly aweful experience. If that person had any trace of honesty, I think he should have not only made sure you got the tracking number, he himself would have followed up on the shipment all the way, making sure you got your stuff back in due time and in perfect condition.

I myself have a relatively long term loan from another headfier, a Bel Canto DAC2 which belongs to Gene. He was kind enough to lend it to me after the FL meet last June. I had asked if he was selling it and how much it would be, he mentioned it was ok if it became a relatively long term loan instead of an immediate sell. I very much appreciated this generousity and trust, and precisely because of that, for me it would be completely unnaceptable to let him down in any way. I either buy the DAC from him, which is very likely, or else I would completely make sure he gets it back in pristine condition either through Fedex or from my own hands. If anything happened to the item while under my hands (or even under transit), it would be my whole responsibility and I would pay it back without even waiting for him to inquire about it. If I did any other way, in my own personal view that would be pretty much a theft crime.

When I sell somthing of mine I try to give the best CS possible.. I sold my VHP-1 & VAC-1 to a person on Audiogon.. He claimed there was a channel imbalance at low listening levels.. I emailed Dusty.. He told me that was normal.. But I still wanted the amp looked at to ease his mind.. I paid all the shipping fee's, due to the inconvience of the buyer.. Forwarded the emails Dusty sent me to keep the owner updated.. Everything is fine, & am sending his amp back to him on Monday.. The problem is, some people don't care.. & as long as they have the money don't care how they package the item.. & if somthing happens SOOL... It's your problem now. Not mine..
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #30 of 62
i hope y'all don't start to distrust newbies, or it'll be impossible for me to make my first head-fi transaction!
frown.gif

very sorry for those who have been ripped off, though- the bad thing is that there's really just nothing that can be done about it. that's the dark side of the internet. also how i lost my Nintendo DS... ugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back