Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #181 of 5,206
Hi Sam,

Quote:
Looks to be hit and miss judging from the varied posts, including yours, Mike. I value your opinion. Please let me know what you think of SQ once you've had some time with the service.

Best of luck.

Sam

It's working very nicely this morning - between 6:00 and 7:15 AM Central Time, thus far.  Judging from the very few posts in this thread that contain the word "dropout," the problems I experienced yesterday evening, during "prime time," might be a fluke - not related to peak usage.  We will see...

I'm completely thrilled with the sound quality. For all I can tell, it's absolutely 44/16 Redbook quality - better than streaming my "Auto-Ripped" Amazon Cloud MP3s (via the Amazon Cloud Player Windows app) and indistinguishable from a few 44/16 WAV files I've compared on my Windows 7 laptop via Foobar.  I've also tried comparing offline downloads to streaming the same song - no difference.  

When you think about, streaming 44/16 music is nothing compared to streaming a Netflix video.  So, it makes sense that if all the hardware and software is cooperating, from the server through to the client app, Redbook quality streaming should be a piece of cake - and I think Tidal is actually delivering it.

Mike

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #182 of 5,206
I have to admit I really really like the app. the song selection is great, although there was no Zep or Metallica, but of course I have those ripped to FLAC anyways. 

I think it sounds much better than spotify and the interface is spot on!

Running this through my Note 4 to SE535 and through my PC - Audioengine D3 - Beyerdynamic DT-990 250ohm . happy camper I am!

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #183 of 5,206

It's working very nicely this morning - between 6:00 and 7:15 AM Central Time, thus far.  Judging from the very few posts in this thread that contain the word "dropout," the problems I experienced yesterday evening, during "prime time," might be a fluke - not related to peak usage.  We will see...

I'm completely thrilled with the sound quality. For all I can tell, it's absolutely 44/16 Redbook quality - better than streaming my "Auto-Ripped" Amazon Cloud MP3s (via the Amazon Cloud Player Windows app) and indistinguishable from a few 44/16 WAV files I've compared on my Windows 7 laptop via Foobar.  I've also tried comparing offline downloads to streaming the same song - no difference.  

When you think about, streaming 44/16 music is nothing compared to streaming a Netflix video.  So, it makes sense that if all the hardware and software is cooperating, from the server through to the client app, Redbook quality streaming should be a piece of cake - and I think Tidal is actually delivering it.

Mike

That's awesome, Mike!  As we have discussed, streaming is a great option and one I want to pursue, like yourself.  I'll let you know what I think of Deezer once the Sonos arrives and I have some time to play with it.

On a related note, Beats was down last night for the first time since I've had the service.  I could play downloaded songs on my phone, but connecting via my laptop or iPad mini or non-downloaded files on the phone was a no-go...  Up till then, very reliable.  No 16/44 quality stuff, though.  I believe they quote up to 320kps when connected to wifi.

Sam

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #186 of 5,206
  Sam,

Are you also a Verizon Fios customer?  If so, maybe the bottleneck was in their network yesterday?

A buddy of mine had the same prob, Mike.  Non-issue tonight.  I think they had computer prob's.  First time so I can't beatch too much.

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #187 of 5,206
The dropout issue is not related to a specific provider. I have experienced the Tidal dropout problem with four different internet providers in two different countries (and obviously using a number of different computers and networks). Speeds of all internet providers I use are above 50 megs and the network is not being used for anything else while listening to Tidal. There is definitely an issue, and it is sporadic. In Tidal's defence, I will say that the problem seems to have lessened since their rollout. However,  I am convinced it is at their end. As I have said in previous posts, I am also a Qobuz subscriber. When I hear dropouts in Tidal I often switch to Qobuz to see if the same thing is happening there (which would indicate a problem at my end or with my provider). There are no dropouts with Qobuz hifi.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #188 of 5,206
  The dropout issue is not related to a specific provider. I have experienced the Tidal dropout problem with four different internet providers in two different countries (and obviously using a number of different computers and networks). Speeds of all internet providers I use are above 50 megs and the network is not being used for anything else while listening to Tidal. There is definitely an issue, and it is sporadic. In Tidal's defence, I will say that the problem seems to have lessened since their rollout. However,  I am convinced it is at their end. As I have said in previous posts, I am also a Qobuz subscriber. When I hear dropouts in Tidal I often switch to Qobuz to see if the same thing is happening there (which would indicate a problem at my end or with my provider). There are no dropouts with Qobuz hifi.

Thanks toolio!

Your comments ring true with my experience, as I was able to stream Netflix (which moves a lot more data per unit of time)  just fine on each of three devices (iPad 3, iPad Mini and Win7 laptop) during the roughly two-hour period when Tidal streaming was suffering dropouts every 3 to 10 seconds of play.  So the problem was not in my home network nor with the bandwidth then being supplied by my ISP.

Your experience helps me to rule out, however, my initial thought that my ISP (Verizon FiOS) was limiting Tidal downloads, exclusively, which they've been known to do in the past with Netflix. 

See:  http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-traffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth

But it's highly unlikely that there are enough Tidal customers out there, thus far, for any ISPs to get upset about an increase in load on their systems (especially since we're streaming 44/16 music, not 1080p videos).

Mike

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #189 of 5,206
I should also add that none of my experiences were with Verizon, which would further rule out Verizon as a problem. There is no throttling with any of the providers I use (at least not that I am aware).

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #190 of 5,206
Listening to Deezer Elite via a Sonos wireless unitl and sending the signal via coax (optical) to Beresford Caiman MkII DAC to Woo WA7 amp to my cans...good stuff!  Impressed by the sound.  Just as good as listening to ripped CD's (AIFF, WAV, ALAC's) via BitPerfect.  I'm a happy camper.

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #192 of 5,206
Personally, I am really digging this service with a few minor problems that I hope they fix. I have not experienced any drop outs of any kind but my internet connection is fantastic. However I think the app in general is ok but responds so slow that I feel is unacceptable. From when I tap the icon to start the app is takes at least 16 seconds to open and the same amount of time if it is on Offline mode. This is ridiculous. Also, when I tap to change songs it is hard to tell if it has taken my selection, it takes approximately 10 seconds to start playing, this seems way too long, the same holds true when in offline mode. I mean I would think it would respond way faster if it wasn't connected to the internet but this is not the case, it responds exactly as it does hooked to the internet. This needs to be fixed in my opinion.It is really frustrating to use the app on my iPhone and iPad. The iPad is a little better but not much. Otherwise I really dig the service. I think the sound is fantastic, I really hope they fix these problems.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #193 of 5,206
  That's awesome Sam!

What is the model of your Sonos?   Is it the Sonos Connect?  

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

Thanks!

Mike

You got it, Mike.  I'm currently using an RCA optical out to the Beresford Caiman I had laying around that's got quite a few years on it but seems to be working OK.  I'll try a couple of different TOSLINK cables I have for grins as well to see if I can tell the difference.

The quality of the music coming from Deezer Elite surprised me...pretty darn good.  Certainly better than the 320kbps I get from Beats although Beats selection engine is impressive...it recommend a lot of cool, lesser known bands based on your preferences.

The one thing I learned about the Sonos is it's better to set up using a laptop and then I use my iPad mini to direct the songs, queue up tunes, etc...  I was struggling to get the streaming services to populate via the iPad when I realized the free application wasn't intended to do that on the Pad.  Also, the Deezer GUI is intuitive and easy to use.  

Anyhoo...I'll be sending you a note later.  Work's got the better of me.  Your thoughts are spot on as usual BTW.

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #194 of 5,206
I think I am going to keep this service for a while. the variety of music is amazing, I mean I am finding stuff that I haven't heard in years! i have all of my music collection ripped to FLAC and since I got the service I have not touched it.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #195 of 5,206
I wish Tidal all the best, but I just unsubscribed due to a lack of patience on my part to be integrated into Sonos.  I simply have not used it often enough to justify the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back