Thunderpants!
Sep 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,697 of 2,225
Gorgeous grain!   the o2 looks great with that cup : )     Enjoy, which goes without saying...

M

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,698 of 2,225

Quote:
Just for anyone wanting to know what's going on here.

I am testing out various pad options, some of which isolate less and some that isolate even more, so yes, that is an option now. Seth has been a huge help in this new evolutionary step. I have a list of things on order to test out to make them lighter, isolate more or less when required and help with comfort. I'm also experimenting with oval cups which cut down more weight and take up less space. What I really want to do is have some custom headbands made to my spec but have no idea where to go for that. I might have to contact Alex at Audeze to see if he can point me in the right direction. Anyway, the general gist is that I'm still spending a good amount of time experimenting.

I have used Denon pads in the past, Ideally I'd like to use something both good and inexpensive to keep the costs down. It's looking pretty good so far, though I still need to try some other pads to find the ideal match.

Excellent!  I know you had mentioned problems with durability using the stock pads with the TPs.  Glad you found some alternatives.

I'd say I can't wait to get mine, but it sounds like the wait will be more than worth it! :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,699 of 2,225
Very cool!
Nice to see another TP owner opting for the satin finish (at least it looks that way from the pic).
What's the wood?

Quote:
Can do.

I'm a big fan of the simple, dark hardwood look.  They don't clash too bad with the brown Stax pads either, so I'm very happy on that front.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,704 of 2,225

Quote:
How about mating fostex with fostex?

not sure if the HP-P1 would have enough oomph for the TP's.. but i really dont know.  I am relatively sure that LCD-2's and TP's are roughly the same impedance, and people say that the Fostex isnt a good match for the LCD-2...

best to get another more informed opinion though

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #1,705 of 2,225
I travel on a regular basis with my Thunderpants and have gotten great results from my portable rig.
I use an iRiver H140 for a DAP, connected via a Toslink cable to a Leckerton Audio UHA-6S DAC/Amp (see my review on this unit).
Using a digital output from a DAP makes a huge difference IMO as you are bypassing the lousy DAC and output stage most of these units possess.

Quote:
Does anybody have a good portable amp/dac/dap setup for these? Seeing as these beauties are closed, they seem like they would be a good portable choice.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #1,706 of 2,225
I use my rockboxxed Ipod with the fiio e11 via lod, it puts out plenty of juice. Bass is overwhelming on setting 2, it is just boomtastic but total slop boom. 0 or 1 is a really good setting on the e11 with the TP at low or hi gain. I normally use low gain and have no volume issues. The e11 is definitely warm and really adds some "fun" lush to the TP.

Take this for what it is worth. I built my thunderpants (two pair now) on my own. Look at my albums to see pictures if you like. My results may be "similar" (since i used Gary's early design sketches)  to what smeggy's TPs sound like out of the E11, but i wouldnt use my results as a benchmark, more less an idea of what it probably sounds like since Gary's probably sound better 
wink_face.gif

Cheer's ya'll from the nortland,

M

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #1,708 of 2,225

Quote:
Anyone like using the t50rp (stock or modded) for movies/gaming/classical music?

I'm currently using mine for everything! See the T50RP thread for other peoples impressions as well.

These Fostex headphones are a real gem and can really shine when mod'd properly.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,709 of 2,225
^ ditto, when myn were stock
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back