Thunderpants!
Aug 23, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,681 of 2,225
I have a pair of O2 pads coming in for my Thunderpants, and I'm kind of hoping they aren't way better than the SA5K pads on my T50RPs.  They are so expensive, and I don't want to splash out for them twice.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,682 of 2,225
I found that the O2 pads needed only a very small bit of vent left open to sound their best.  The rest of my tuning was unchanged. The result was a much more comfortable fit with better isolation, and a more neutral bass (while being very deep and powerful).

My preference in descending order is O2, 840, 5K, stock.  I haven't tried the 900 pads people have mentioned, curious to know about them (like where to get them and how much).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 23, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #1,683 of 2,225
part #: J48247-001

http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=HA-RX900#providedAccessories
$15.58 each

pls try - curious as to your opinion on them 
wink_face.gif

oops ... .looks like backordered till sept.
Quote:
 I haven't tried the 900 pads people have mentioned, curious to know about them (like where to get them and how much).

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #1,685 of 2,225
Smeggy, I would recommend trying some Denon pads (stock works, don't know about JMoney but maybe you can work out a deal). I used them on Vaughn's paperstone mod (Darthpants) and they were quite comfortable and sounded very good. They are stuffed at one end so emulate the Stax earpad in that regard, although I don't think they seal quite as well. Overstuffing them a la markl mod will probably help with the seal. I don't know if you can acquire them individually from Denon or somewhere, though.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,686 of 2,225

Quote:
that would be a problem because of the fact I'm living in Israel...
I don't believe that there are more than only few thunderpants in here if there are any at all.
also I couldn't find anything in the Israely headphone websites about the Fostex T50rp, not to mention the thunderpants itself.

I have some and I may be coming by in november...

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #1,687 of 2,225
I thought I read that those pads are swappable with the AD700's.  If so, wouldn't that imply the AD700 pads would fit on the T50RP?  I can test it out when I get mine in 2-3 weeks since I already have the AD700's.

Quote:
part #: J48247-001

http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=HA-RX900#providedAccessories
$15.58 each

pls try - curious as to your opinion on them 
wink_face.gif

oops ... .looks like backordered till sept.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,688 of 2,225
My Thunderpants are serving as the test set for the build changes to accommodate the Beyerdynamic leather pads (thanks Smeggy!)

In the meantime I am using my old Beyer DT 770 Pro 80s and so have gotten a chance to get reacquainted with them.

In the past, I have said that while the Thunderpants are greatly superior in bass quality, the Beyers had more "slam" due to their exaggerated response in the mid bass.

FWIW, I now want to reverse my previous statements. The Thunderpants definitely have more impact than the Beyers, even with the latter's bass emphasis.

Clean and accurate wins in all respects...

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,689 of 2,225

Quote:
My Thunderpants are serving as the test set for the build changes to accommodate the Beyerdynamic leather pads (thanks Smeggy!)

In the meantime I am using my old Beyer DT 770 Pro 80s and so have gotten a chance to get reacquainted with them.

In the past, I have said that while the Thunderpants are greatly superior in bass quality, the Beyers had more "slam" due to their exaggerated response in the mid bass.

FWIW, I now want to reverse my previous statements. The Thunderpants definitely have more impact than the Beyers, even with the latter's bass emphasis.

Clean and accurate wins in all respects...

please do keep us posted.. I am just waiting for that final little nudge that pushes me over the edge into selling my LCD-2's and reclaiming my status as a proud Thunderpants owner.

The only issue I have at the moment is that if the TP's isolate too much -an odd thing to say i know- it may be an issue.  My last TP's isolated real well, which is great when being isolated from the world around you is ok, but these days that does not work for me. 

Maybe some of Smeggy's new designs or pad choices will lend to a semi open can that still carries that signature TP sound.  Here's hoping :wink:

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #1,690 of 2,225
Will do.

Thanks

Quote:

please do keep us posted.. I am just waiting for that final little nudge that pushes me over the edge into selling my LCD-2's and reclaiming my status as a proud Thunderpants owner.

The only issue I have at the moment is that if the TP's isolate too much -an odd thing to say i know- it may be an issue.  My last TP's isolated real well, which is great when being isolated from the world around you is ok, but these days that does not work for me. 

Maybe some of Smeggy's new designs or pad choices will lend to a semi open can that still carries that signature TP sound.  Here's hoping :wink:

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,691 of 2,225
Just for anyone wanting to know what's going on here.

I am testing out various pad options, some of which isolate less and some that isolate even more, so yes, that is an option now. Seth has been a huge help in this new evolutionary step. I have a list of things on order to test out to make them lighter, isolate more or less when required and help with comfort. I'm also experimenting with oval cups which cut down more weight and take up less space. What I really want to do is have some custom headbands made to my spec but have no idea where to go for that. I might have to contact Alex at Audeze to see if he can point me in the right direction. Anyway, the general gist is that I'm still spending a good amount of time experimenting.

I have used Denon pads in the past, Ideally I'd like to use something both good and inexpensive to keep the costs down. It's looking pretty good so far, though I still need to try some other pads to find the ideal match.

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #1,692 of 2,225

Quote:
Just for anyone wanting to know what's going on here.

I am testing out various pad options, some of which isolate less and some that isolate even more, so yes, that is an option now. Seth has been a huge help in this new evolutionary step. I have a list of things on order to test out to make them lighter, isolate more or less when required and help with comfort. I'm also experimenting with oval cups which cut down more weight and take up less space. What I really want to do is have some custom headbands made to my spec but have no idea where to go for that. I might have to contact Alex at Audeze to see if he can point me in the right direction. Anyway, the general gist is that I'm still spending a good amount of time experimenting.

I have used Denon pads in the past, Ideally I'd like to use something both good and inexpensive to keep the costs down. It's looking pretty good so far, though I still need to try some other pads to find the ideal match.

yipee!  im guessing it's only a matter of time now before i sell my lcd-2's and start planning my next pair of THUNDERPANTS!!!

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,693 of 2,225
Well, my pair just arrived today and are now sporting O2 pads.

I need a bit of time to get my head around these, but there's already no question that my T50RP don't get me anywhere close to this level of audio bliss.

A few initial thoughts:
-the bass is, indeed, great.  It isn't huge, but it hits hard and stays out of the way of the other frequencies to an astonishing degree.
-these are as detailed as any headphones I own, including the Sony DR-Z6.  This is without ever sounding thin or "etched"
-I really like the balance.  Vocals sound fantastic without dominating or cutting (I'm looking at you, DT48).  The soundstage is deep and wide, without sounding artificially wide.
-These are surprisingly comfortable, considering the weight.
-With the stock pads, I got a bit of that ugly midrange echo that I sometimes got with the SA5K pads on my T50RP.  That is completely gone with the Stax pads.
-They are beautiful, but also feel completely rock-solid.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,694 of 2,225
picture?  : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back