Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4,381 of 6,500
  I give up.
normal_smile .gif

Sorry. I probably wasn't clear. I'm multitasking at the moment. My main worry is damage to the delicate circuits during power flickers. I'm not worried about small temp changes or surges. I'll unplug the gear during storms. Yes, I know there's always the risk there will be a flicker at any moment, even when listening to the gear, but if left on 24/7, the chances of encountering a flicker are greater--and even multiple flickers over the course of time.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #4,382 of 6,500
These power flickers are news to me, that's probably why you're not getting much info on it. Not sure if a passive power conditioner or an isolation transformer will help.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #4,383 of 6,500
  I think what you're missing here isn't just the increased cost of the DAC chips involved, it is also the cost and time to develop the digital filters required for these chips. Then there is also the case of whether or not the audio manufacturer has the "chops" to be able to even design the required filters.  Taking something off the shelf and slapping it in a case is much faster as well as cheaper.

That said, even though companies like Linn and Ayre use delta-sigma DAC chips, they put their own filters in and by-pass the built-in filters on the chips themselves; this may be why they've gotten such a good reputation for good sound.

Take a look at this post from Mike regarding the Digital Filter/Interpolator/Sample Rate Converter in the Yggy, it sheds some light on why everyone isn't doing what Schiit is doing 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/4950#post_11396780

I agree 7ryder. My experiences with the Ayre Codex at CanJam 2015 gave me a taste of what Ayre's S-D chips/filter do. Still a little bit on the bright tonality, but nothing truly Sabre about it. It sounded very neutral, just not the dynamics and punch of better offerings I have heard.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #4,384 of 6,500
  To be more clear, I'm not worried about surges. I'll turn off my gear and unplug it during a storm. I'm more concerned with the occasional flicker or short interruption in power. A UPS has been recommended. Is that the consensus? Get a UPS? Or am I too OCD for my own good?

I think you're worrying too much; these things don't matter. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #4,385 of 6,500
  These power flickers are news to me, that's probably why you're not getting much info on it. Not sure if a passive power conditioner or an isolation transformer will help.

For some reason, the neighborhood I live in is susceptible to power flickers, and I get about one a month on average. The power completely cuts out for about a second or two, which is enough to shut off devices with soft power switches--and they don't come back on. Those with hard power switches, will power back up. This rapid transition in power doesn't seem to affect more robust things, like my fridge, water heater, washing machine, fans, lights, etc, but I am concerned with delicate electronics with hard switches, such as the Yggy. 

I know I'm probably being OCD, but it was only a few years ago I thought $200 for headphones and $50 for an amp was high dollars. I have since become desensitized to an extent and now have more expensive gear, but moving past the $1000 barrier is huge for me, let alone the $2000 barrier of the Yggy.

If there's no risk of damage to the Yggy from power flickers, no worries. Life is great. If there is risk, then a UPS could be the solution. However, adding another $100-300 or more for a quality UPS/power conditioner adds to the entire price of the Yggy adoption, when every penny already counts as it is.

That's where I'm coming from. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #4,386 of 6,500
Actually, if you take a look back into the deep history of high-end audio, you may see that Nelson and Bruno followed Mike...Mike was an audio rebel first in the 1970s, proselytizing tubes when solid-state had taken over, then using 6DJ8 tubes for audio, rather than the commonly accepted 12AX7 (which Mike has much disdain for.) His original Theta (not Theta Digital) started in the 1970s.

And then there's Theta Digital, and Mike's first DSP stuff, and jitter, and...

And then there's the first upgradable surround processors...

And then there's the first practical media center, pre-Windows Media Center, with a custom UI and video DSP.

Bottom line, Mike's history is a bit more deep and varied than some random dude taking potshots at delta-sigma. Whether or not he's right is up for the market to decide.

Aaaaanndd...not taking away from Bruno or Nelson, just talking histories here...and Mike has a very, very long history of "thinkin' different" and "skewering sacred cows."

Dear Jason,

You are a beautiful writer. Even though your engineering and marketing background occupy a more conspicuous place in the minds of most here, I am struck by your acerbic wit and extraordinarily concise jabs. Your prose reminds of that of James Joyce, by far my favorite craftsman in the English tongue.

And I would like to think this capacity for wit and concision inflected your choices and tastes in the fear you created :)

edit: in the GEAR you created!!!

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,387 of 6,500
  For some reason, the neighborhood I live in is susceptible to power flickers, and I get about one a month on average. The power completely cuts out for about a second or two, which is enough to shut off devices with soft power switches--and they don't come back on. Those with hard power switches, will power back up. This rapid transition in power doesn't seem to affect more robust things, like my fridge, water heater, washing machine, fans, lights, etc, but I am concerned with delicate electronics with hard switches, such as the Yggy. 

I know I'm probably being OCD, but it was only a few years ago I thought $200 for headphones and $50 for an amp was high dollars. I have since become desensitized to an extent and now have more expensive gear, but moving past the $1000 barrier is huge for me, let alone the $2000 barrier of the Yggy.

If there's no risk of damage to the Yggy from power flickers, no worries. Life is great. If there is risk, then a UPS could be the solution. However, adding another $100-300 or more for a quality UPS/power conditioner adds to the entire price of the Yggy adoption, when every penny already counts as it is.

You should probably direct this question to Schiit via e-mail. If you're afraid of the power shutting off randomly, this might not be much different than frequently using the physical power switch on the Yggy, which I'm sure Schiit accounted for.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,388 of 6,500

If you are this concerned about it, I suggest that you call Schiit and talk to them about it.  

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #4,389 of 6,500

quality UPS is one that produces a true sine wave, not that digitally stepped approximated type, and those aren't cheap.  I wouldn't worry about a UPS, because it's not like you're listening to it when the power goes out.  If you're concerned about the power blips, and I think it's good to be concerned seeing what you described... consider an isolation transformer, e.g. Tripp-Lite's IS250HG for a > 250w load, though taking a quick look on the 'zon shows the IS500HG to be similarly priced.  I have a larger one (IS1000HG) for a few pieces of equipment and really feel it makes a difference, esp. when I can see all my lights dim when turning on the vacuum, etc. in this older house.  YMMV, but I feel it's a worthwhile investment.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,390 of 6,500
Thanks for all the responses. I'll email Schiit if I am seriously considering pulling the trigger. The Gungnir is more in line with my price bracket, and it also doesn't need to be powered on 24/7. But I sure wish I could hear R2R decoding.....

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,391 of 6,500

A friend is trying to convince me that spending 2000 bucks on a Wyrd + Gungnir + Asgard 2 is a waste of money. 

He wants me to try his E-MU 0202 USB sound interface... http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=15186

I'm going to try it tonight, but any though on this ? I personally think that this would be a downgrade compared to my previous Asus Xonar Essence STX... And my little finger tells me that would be like day and night with a Schiit kit...

Am I right ?

Some other notable DACs in your $500-ish price range worth considering:
Gustard X12
HRT Music Streamer III

Some other notable amps to try, also worth around $500:
Gustard H10
Cavalli Liquid Carbon

Otherwise, the Schiit Modi 2 pairs quite well with the Schiit Vali, which is only about a $10 upgrade from the Magni 2.

I second that the Momentums are "really that bad". Bloated artificial bass and super bright treble with a fakey midrange, and these can's don't scale AT ALL, meaning they sound just as bad with cheap or expensive gear. YMMV.

PS- not to backslide or anything but I also have my doubts about Purrin being the Messiah - he was there at CanJam and I don't remember anything supernatural surround him. (LOL)

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #4,392 of 6,500

You think ? Really ?! 
Won't be audible because the Sonar was good or also because of my headphones? 

Spotted a used Gungnir on Audio Mart. Will try to get it. I would save up to 450 $ over a new one. That would give me the opportunity to buy HD 650. 

So funny, I wonder if that was my Gungnir? I'm using the M51 now, but very likely a Yggy is going to find it's way into my system.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #4,393 of 6,500
  Thanks for all the responses. I'll email Schiit if I am seriously considering pulling the trigger. The Gungnir is more in line with my price bracket, and it also doesn't need to be powered on 24/7. But I sure wish I could hear R2R decoding.....

Well you could always audition it for 15 days. Although you'd be out ~$188: shipping to you ($36.50 for my zip), shipping back to Schiit (assume $36.50), and 5% restocking fee (Schiit calls it a transaction fee, $114.95)

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4,394 of 6,500

Well you could always audition it for 15 days. Although you'd be out ~$188: shipping to you ($36.50 for my zip), shipping back to Schiit (assume $36.50), and 5% restocking fee (Schiit calls it a transaction fee, $114.95)

Na, I really do try to use return policies in good faith. I only buy after extensive research and only return if I'm completely unhappy. If I get the Yggy, it's staying put until Schiit's next super duper uber monster DAC comes out.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #4,395 of 6,500

mmm, that sounds like it'd be worth it — y'know, just to be sure.  But then on me, @purrin, @zerodeefex et al pretty much have me convinced I'd be very unlikely to return it.  Maybe that's what @hodgjy is concerned about; they will like it so much that it'll burn a hole in their wallet. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back