Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 22, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #4,366 of 6,500
  I think what you're missing here isn't just the increased cost of the DAC chips involved, it is also the cost and time to develop the digital filters required for these chips.
Then there is also the case of whether or not the audio manufacturer has the "chops" to be able to even design the required filters.  
Taking something off the shelf and slapping it in a case is much faster as well as cheaper.
That said, even though companies like Linn and Ayre use delta-sigma DAC chips, they put their own filters in and by-pass the built-in filters on the chips themselves; this may be why they've gotten such a good reputation for good sound.

Take a look at this post from Mike regarding the Digital Filter/Interpolator/Sample Rate Converter in the Yggy, it sheds some light on why everyone isn't doing what Schiit is doing 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/4950#post_11396780

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice. 
So the real secret of the exceptional sound is in the proprietary digital filter implemented ?
What i do not understand then is why they do not put more efforts in developing better filters.
I give up and wait for the future.
After almost 30 years from the birth of the cd, this sector is very far from to be mature IMHO.
Thanks again.  gino

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4,367 of 6,500

You are probably right about Xonar vs EMU but I guess it's worth a try ... may be a slight improvement.
However, I wont read so much into those night&day reviews when it comes to the step from Xonar to a Schiit stack ... the Xonar has a pretty good DAC and you may have a not so pleasant surprise when the $2000 improvement turns out to be barely audible.  Why dont you just order a Gugnir first and see how much of a diff you can hear in your system!?

You think ? Really ?! 
Won't be audible because the Sonar was good or also because of my headphones? 

Spotted a used Gungnir on Audio Mart. Will try to get it. I would save up to 450 $ over a new one. That would give me the opportunity to buy HD 650. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #4,368 of 6,500
You think ? Really ?! 
Won't be audible because the Sonar was good or also because of my headphones? 

Spotted a used Gungnir on Audio Mart. Will try to get it. I would save up to 450 $ over a new one. That would give me the opportunity to buy HD 650. 

The Xonar is already quite good and your Momentums, while a very good midrange HP, are not exactly detail monsters. The 2nd hand gugnir sounds like a good option .. and the 650 should be a bit better than the momentums .. also scale much better with better playback gear.
Generally, try not to listen so much to those night&day reviews...lots of marketing and hyped claims. Most of the audio gear nowadays is really good and the diffs are mostly coming from the nitpicking land.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #4,369 of 6,500
Ok. Many thanks for your input !

I just want to buy something that will make me say : wow. I never heard this particular song like this before. But with a reasonable price ... 

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #4,372 of 6,500
Here's a question for us OCD fellows.

If I do indeed get the Yggy, I'll follow the recommendations and leave it powered on 24/7. I'm not worried about the power consumption. What I am worried about, however, is power supply isn't always 24/7. There's flickers and even outages. I don't sweat these phenomena on cheaper devices like my tv or refrigerator, but I sure as heck will with a $2300 DAC.

What is the consensus about power flickers, etc, and the potential to damage the Yggy?

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #4,373 of 6,500
You could try something like this: 
http://www.powerinspired.com/ag500-ac-regenerator-500w-p-1723.html

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #4,376 of 6,500
My PSA IPC-8000 didn't do anything for my system sonically, but it is a very nice 10-outlet power strip/surge protector/thing that lets me sleep a bit better since my gear won't explode during a thunderstorm. The sleep part is probably the most important, I would probably cry a little bit if my 45 SET amp fried. NOS globe 45's ain't cheap, man. Also, the IPC-8k was $400 shipped, so check out the used market before buying new. There are some good deals to be had if you're really set on power filtering/conditioning/regeneration.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #4,377 of 6,500
To be more clear, I'm not worried about surges. I'll turn off my gear and unplug it during a storm. I'm more concerned with the occasional flicker or short interruption in power. A UPS has been recommended. Is that the consensus? Get a UPS? Or am I too OCD for my own good?

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,378 of 6,500
Some (purrin) say if the Ygg is off for a couple of minutes, it's still good to go performance wise when powered back on. If it gets to cool down, something like one hour or more, warm-up program starts over.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,379 of 6,500
  Some (purrin) say if the Ygg is off for a couple of minutes, it's still good to go performance wise when powered back on. If it gets to cool down, something like one hour or more, warm-up program starts over.

I'm more worried about damage from the flickers, not slight changes in temp.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #4,380 of 6,500
I give up.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back